It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please help me understand humans (I have autism)...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
I worked with Autism - This guy is not Autistic - if he is then he is a Savant which mean he has more answers than question - which means he is not a Savant - He's is someone who has tried to think up a way to get the attention he craves.
Having no more difficulty with life than any one of us.

You worked with Autism? Goody for you.

Then you especially should know it is a blanket diagnosis that covers a large and varied spectrum.

Aspergers is one functioning form of Autism - - for instance.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by just_julie
It sounded a little dramatic to me also.

Actually - - I'd say it sounds fragmented.

Having one thought - - then another - - then another.

Not having the ability to be cohesive in connecting thoughts.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyingFaucers

What? lying? about what?

What about autism am I lying about?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am surprised by everyone's remarks. I am not lying about having autism (I was originally diagnosed with moderate autism and then to high functioning autism later on in life). I really do have it, and this post was a sincere attempt at bettering myself because I have social phobia.

The above questions were the main problems and fears I had when interacting with people. I wanted people to refute my theories by providing counter examples so I could begin to open up and resolve my social phobia.

Autism does effect my way and ability to perceive things and people. I am not using it as an excuse as much as a reason. I am not trying to make fun of any people with autism. Sorry if I came across that way.

I am not craving attention. I am craving answers. I honestly wanted to know. Based on these comments, I am beginning to think my social phobia is justified.

I kind of feel sick to my stomach. However, sincere thanks to the awesome people who provided some answers. Thank you for not being so quick to judge.
edit on 26-3-2011 by DavinciThales because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DavinciThales

Please do not think that the negative replies is how we all feel. Actually there have been many positive posts from members that thought that whatever the situation, it was completely wrong to be so rude. And there were also some that interacted by replying to your original post.

By all means, if there is anything that you can learn here, is not to take everything to seriously. I have a disabled son myself who has a form of autism, and I am aware of the condition, and the social situations that many feel. Your questions and responses whether you have a disability or not is completely logical.

I know the decision is ultimately yours, but I hope that you choose to remain a member here, because based on just this thread, I am sure that you have plenty to offer many members here.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavinciThales

I am not craving attention. I am craving answers. I honestly wanted to know. Based on these comments, I am beginning to think my social phobia is justified.

Hey! Hang tough.

Some of us live in our own worlds - - and watch the rest of humanity like it is a movie on a screen.

If only it wasn't real - - and we didn't have to interact with it.

If we could just live in our world - - - and it really was just a movie on a screen.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
reply to post by SlyingFaucers

What? lying? about what?

What about autism am I lying about?

You may not be lying - - you know the experience you are personally having.

But - - how is it OK for you to put down others who's experience is different then yours?

Autism covers a very broad spectrum.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Humans live on emotion more than anything. Even the ones that pretend to be a logical we are just very social emotional animals and the closer the bond the more attached to it a person is and the more against something different they are. That is what all the fuss you speak of is about.

Also I am sure you have autism and I am sure anyone else can have your doctor say they have it too. That is why they set it up to cover such a broad range of things.

People don't want to admit some people are just better than others so if they are short of average in certain areas there must be something wrong I mean they can't be just a little less than that right.

We now have it set up where weird people are being confused with people that have real problems.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by bcroper
Also I am sure you have autism and I am sure anyone else can have your doctor say they have it too. That is why they set it up to cover such a broad range of things.

People don't want to admit some people are just better than others so if they are short of average in certain areas there must be something wrong I mean they can't be just a little less than that right.

We now have it set up where weird people are being confused with people that have real problems.

I guess I cannot blame you for reaching that assessment. You did not see me in my childhood when the autism was very apparent. I would throw constant tantrums, not be able to communicate more than a sentence, not responding to my name, not looking people in the eye, hitting people, scratching people, scream at loud noises, refuse to be touched, scared of sensory stimuli, jump out of moving cars, run into busy streets, etc. My parents were constantly drained and tired.

In my case, I had real problems. Its just after years upon years of intense therapy (10+ years) has resolved many of these problems. If I didn't have the diagnosis of autism, I wouldn't have received treatment. Then my condition would be more noticeable today.

I still have some real problems. The real problem is not only do I have the expectations of the average, coherent person but I also have to deal with the extrasensory problems and social awkwardness that autism often brings.

For example, I had an interview for a job at my college. There were lots of people in a room. You had to meet with one other person and tell them your name to complete the interview. I found a person, but I could not speak to them. Why? Social phobia. I froze. Needless to say, that cost me the job.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Hey, cool thread! Sad to see so many rude comments. My BFF's son is presently being diagnosed with some form of autism. They arn't really sure if they'er gonna call it Aspergers, or PDD. Either way really makes no difference. He is a completly awesome kid, and he will be capable of doing what ever he wants to in his life. I bet dating will be a far greater challange to him than writing a well thought about thread on the internet.

I think people like to argue, fight, and be rude because they're borde, and lazy minded. For some people It's easier to disrespect and dismiss, than to put forth the real effort it takes to really understand someone or learn a new point of view.

It's also more exciting to have your blood boiling, and your mouth moving, than it is to sit and think and then... ask a few questions.
edit on 26-3-2011 by MidnightSunshine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

You are overly sensitive on this topic. You should stop feeling ashamed of having a child with autism because it really SHOWS.

Its not always about people functioning the right way or the wrong way, it's about people thinking in one way and others think differently.

The way you view your child is what is known as the parental "new car mentality".

I know i shouldn't do this, but i openly admit that i dislike you based on how you handled this topic.

Sorry.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavinciThales
I guess this isn't really a rant because it is not written out of anger, hatred, or spite. Yet it is like a rant, but I suppose it is different.

Greetings, Peoplekind (mankind isn't accurate because it excludes women, intersexed, and children). I am a young person living on their own in the world. I was diagnosed with autism so this isn't an easy thing to do. Many people confuse me with their antics, I become fearful, and thus I spend most of my time in the company of pursuits like science, mathematics, and other knowledge.

While I do not interact with people, I do observe them. Please help me understand humans. I seem to not think anything like them.

Why do topics that are unfair, negative, and violent get many page views and comments while this fair and reflective post will probably not surpass 4 pages in length?

Theory: Humans would rather live in the negativity rather than fuel any positivity.

Why is it that I can get along with all races, all religions, rich and poor, male and female by simply respecting their differences and trying to understand them rather than judge them?

Theory: Humans like to be separated rather than be part of the whole.

Can you tell me why people are willing to judge and treat others based on a small, insignificant aspect like skin color, reproductive organs, religion, or sexual orientation instead of trying to understand the person as a whole?

Theory: Humanity is unwise because it assumes it knows the whole by a part.

What did Jesus, a figure in the Christian religion, mean when he said, "The truth will set you free"?

Theory: He most likely meant that humanity traps or makes itself machine-like in religion, culture, and bizarre rituals that claim to be the truths over each other. When people realize that truth can truly be nothing man-made because the truth transcends, humanity as a whole will become open minded and be "freed" from being trapped. Maybe even become open minded.

Autism or not, it seems to me you are far less "confused" then most people on this forum...

You're quesitons don't need answers... by the way you posed your questions i can see you already have them.

What did Jesus, a figure in the Christian religion, mean when he said, "The truth will set you free"?

Thats easy my friend... this is the truth...

27But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. 29And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also. 30Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. 31And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. 32For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. 33And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. 34And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. 36Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. 37Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: 38Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

And understanding this will set you free...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join