It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID Scans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I work at a convenience store. We are required per company policy to scan IDs for all beer sales. When the ID scan it shows all information that is on your drivers license, height weight, eye color, name, etc. Then at the end of the night we print out a list which has your license number, date of birth, date of expiration and name. Big Brother? I wont even buy beer there. Does anyone else work in this situation and what are others ideas on what this could be used for. BTW they could easily track how much beer you've bought by syncing it up with the register tape.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
That's interesting. I am familiar with retail operations and have never seen lists of customers data captured and printed in this manner. All data capture is usually electronic for CRM data mining. I may be completely off base here but identity theft comes to mind.

This a large company or mom and pop type outfit?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
It is a 73 branch convenient store, and the owner also owns an oil/natural gas company, along with numerous other smaller businesses. Its located in north central PA and south central NY.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SilntShdw

A company with that many branches should be beyond printing customer information on such an easily acquirable medium. Any govt compliance can easily be tracked by a digital capture and query data set at a later time.

Are the printouts secured, mailed, stored on/off site? That's a lot of liability laying around if not in a very secure area. By the nature of the business, I don't think security is a big rock for the business.

Very shady IMHO.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
They do this in certain bars on the West Coast of Canada too.

Crazy times we are living in...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
It's funny you make this thread.

I have noticed a HUGE uptick in the amount of places that are scanning ID now. The convenience store I go to has recently started to do it. The cashiers know me by name, they know I am 30, they know there is no question about it.

Now, all of a sudden, I have to present my ID and they scan it, every time.

I also sold a few video games the other day-I was shocked when they scanned my ID before they would give me my $15.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
They are kept in a locked office overnight then put in an envelope the next morning. This goes once a week to a higher manager then I am unsure what happens to it. We are located in a small town and know most of the customers. This scan has to be done to everyone. I had an 87 year old tonight but I had to ID him. I find it annoying and unnecessary but I like my job and will not lose it. It is not state required and even though other stores in the area require ID they do not scan it.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
aren't PA liquor stores state run? Maybe they have to keep track of it for the state. Dont like it, and dont see why they should do it unless someone thinks its a way to see where someone purchased alcohol in a drunk driving accident law suit.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I work in a NY one, but yes liquor stores are run by the state in PA.

top topics

join