It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Drill Earth's Mantle, Retrieve First Sample?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Of course it will seal off. They'll have one shot at it. Then the temperature change will seal it off like a cut in the cold icy winter. Ever see that? You're body is under 14 pounds of pressure. That's why you bleed. But in the cold, the blood freezes and the cut is sealed. The same is true for the Earth.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
During the BP oil spill, I suggested that perhaps they had done just that: Dilled down into the MOHO. They have been attempting to do this for a long time. Based on the shape of the gulf, the mantle is believed to be closer to the surface in areas there vs others.

Here was the thread:

The MOHO; Has BP drilled into it?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Good Point.

The Earth has Healed (repaired, not some New Age Gaia Mumbo Jumbo, No Disrespect) itself from worse Punctures.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

On an Earths Crust Depth Map the Gulf of Mexico is one of the Thinnest Places to Puncture.

The Himalayas being the Thickest.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
$1,000 they'll drill into Hell just like those miners. This is perfect! I've been waiting for reputable scientist to do this project. I am 10,000% sure Hell is in the middle of Earth. When they hear voices from the spirits there just like those miners did, there will be NO EXCUSE!! This will be HD sound. I can't wait for this!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Funniest thing I have read on this site ever. Bravo!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I'm just not too keen on stabbing Gia in the heart to see what her bloods made of.

She's been through enough, what if she decides humans have turned parasitic and need eradication?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

The Earth does not decide anything. The earth is a sustained cycle from progress via evolution. It neither thinks nor decides. It finds its stable point based of robotic soulless responses to stimuli.

For example, radioactive fallout is handled naturally by Earth. The fallout is carried by the water cycle into the Earth. It's heaviness drives it to the bedrock as the water evaporates. There, it eventually finds its way down and becomes lead. Another example, the ice caps melting. The fresh water simply enters the water cycle, and is expunged in its excess onto the Earth. It finds its way back to the arctic in the next ice age.

The earth has survived multiple breaches to its skin. We see this in extinction events. But these were huge force pounding explosions with huge volumes. NOT a pin hole made by man.

The Earth is not alive. It is simply self sustaining because of the complex cycles within itself. You can call it a solar powered proto cell. For example, here's a link to nonliving complex systems.

Much like these chemical bubbles, the Earth is a soulless action-reaction machine.
edit on 26-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
The Earth does not decide anything.

That has not been proven.

The earth is a sustained cycle from progress via evolution. It neither thinks nor decides. It finds its stable point based of robotic soulless responses to stimuli.

For example, radioactive fallout is handled naturally by Earth. The fallout is carried by the water cycle into the Earth. It's heaviness drives it to the bedrock as the water evaporates. There, it eventually finds its way down and becomes lead. Another example, the ice caps melting. The fresh water simply enters the water cycle, and is expunged in its excess onto the Earth. It finds its way back to the arctic in the next ice age.

Duh, same old same old I could read in a science text book. We've heard it all at school and university, no need to be a mindless repeater, we don't need more of those in this world.

The earth has survived multiple breaches to its skin. We see this in extinction events. But these were huge force pounding explosions with huge volumes. NOT a pin hole made by man.

The Earth is not alive. It is simply self sustaining because of the complex cycles within itself. You can call it a solar powered proto cell. For example, here's a link to nonliving complex systems.

My reason for thinking its alive has nothing to do with how complex it is. IMO Its "husk" residing in our dimension may be more like my hair appearing unlike life on its own, but I feel Gia is alive and is a soul not has a soul, the physical matter that makes up earth is not what she is just as you are not your body.

the Earth is a soulless action-reaction machine

I believe in the soul but unfortunately cant yet prove the existence of the soul to you so I'm not really going to argue this its folly.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

edit on 26-3-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I don't think there's much to worry about especially considering they are going to be drilling in very deep water and assuming there's no oil in the area. The pressures found at those ocean depths (not to mention the low water temperature, close to freezing) would basically snuff out any eruptions in so far as creating a volcano like those seen on the above-water surface. Or, even if it did, it would take millions of years for it to break the surface, which is how the Hawaiian islands were formed.

There is also the mid-Atlantic ridge, which is where the surface of the earth is essentially ripping apart at the seams. The crust is very thin there but any eruptions of lava are contained by the great depth and pressure of the water.

Unlike oil, magma (or lava as it's referred to when it breaks the surface, either on land or underwater) hardens when exposed to air (and all that faster when exposed to very cold water) so an underwater (even in shallow water) eruption of lava will simply solidify rapidly and eventually build a sea mount.
There's simply no way, even under great pressure (from within the earth, and high pressures are generally caused by water getting into active volcanic formations and creating steam explosions, which again aren't possible under such pressures because water can reach hundreds of degrees F w/o boiling), that a volcanic explosion could make it to the ocean's surface.

Now if they were to do such drilling on the surface, say, on the San Andreas fault, that might be dangerous because it is on the surface and lots of people live near there. Something like that, IMO, would be unwise, and could trigger a quake.
edit on 27-3-2011 by Schrecken Licht because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ag893

LOL that had me rollin
awesome reply man! i totaly agree...watch em drill straight into hell

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Goddamn you nerds are disrespectful.

Atleast type R.I.P first.

You don't care that he died, you're just trying to come off of his name like you guys actually know anything.
This site is full of bible thumpers who think they know it all because they read a two stack year old book.
None of you guys have evidence for your claims.

That's why i'm not an atheist, not a conspiracy theorist or a bible thumper.

I'm an Actual skeptic.
You guys are fake skeptics.

We are not the same. Wow

This site should ban conspiracy theorist and only let people post threads if they have un challenged evidence.
You guys are nut jobs, corn balls.
edit on 27-3-2011 by DuceizBack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Not been proven that something is not true? This is called a logical fallacy. All things are false until proven true. Not true until proven false. The common legal terminology is innocent until proven guilty. So right off the bat with your first statement you are no longer scientifically accurate.

I repeat because you refuse to listen. Just because it's in a book does not make it true or false. What does the data show? Earth has several systems no directly linked to each other than affect each other from time to time but otherwise act independently of each other. In order for it to be alive, these systems must be dynamically linked and cooperating to better the whole. When in fact these systems, though dynamic, often fight each other and are in conflict with each other. Some examples include plate tectonics versus erosion, Solar radiation versus cloud generation systems. Even the Earth's own gravity is in constant conflict with the moon, fighting to keep what is on the planet. As the old saying goes, don't judge a book by its cover. Just because our small fraction of habitability on this world shows some complex systems, does not mean they are related nor does it mean the same is true throughout.

Ah, spirituality. Well spirituality, I'm afraid, has not been proven. Thus your whole argument is flawed from the foundations. And no. You are your body. There is no proof for the soul. There is no proof for God, for the soul, for an afterlife. And even if it was true, it's quite a cheap cop out to just claim "oh its in another dimension". Nay sir. For the soul, if it exists, is neither real nor physical. Nor can it be observed, nor can it be affected by this universe either than the choices it makes while interacting with this universe Even so, we can reduce this into its bare bones scientific facts. We humans, alive, have an electromagnetic wave that creates our thoughts and stores our memories, generated by the cells in out brain. These waves constantly change and adjust to adapt to what we learn and interact with. The Earth has the same wave. But it is neither responsive nor changing, other than when taking a solar punch to the face. Mars is still KO from the last one, fyi. Thus even the most abstract thing that shows us to be creative intelligent creatures is null for the Earth. Thus the Earth is not alive.

Gia, as you call it, is a primitive idea generated by uneducated minds who cannot bare to view a dead universe devoid of care for your collection of molecules. I'm afraid the truth hurts. The Earth could be smothered in a brown dwarf's plasmic cloud tomorrow and your lot wouldn't matter a bit. Gia, as you call it, would come out as cosmic dust, to be eaten by her cannibalistic life giver, the sun. She would be gobbled up, turned to nuclear fuel for the fires of her uncaring life giver, and return to the ashes from whence she came. Much like yourself in a few decades time.

You see I am going to reveal to you why God or the soul will never be proven to exist. Observation. What can be observed, can be affected. What can be affected, can be destroyed. If the soul can be observed, it can be affected, and by proxy, destroyed. Thus nullifying the purpose of its existence. So thus you are left with an uncaring universe, a baseless claim without proof, nor proof that will ever be found, and a human race that could hardly care for fairies and tree spirits. It just wants food. And when this planet is done, the humans will go find another food source. In as much as we now know the Earth is nothing special, the species is all the more emboldened in faith that their actions really don't matter in the end. If we screw up here, we all get into a space ship and run away, leaving poor mother Earth to fall into the sun and be destroyed.

Pity the universe is. Maybe your faith ought to be towards more permanent things. Even God says the world will end, and most other religions too.
edit on 27-3-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack
This site should ban conspiracy theorist and only let people post threads if they have un challenged evidence.

Why would a conspiracy site ban a conspiracy theorist?

Restrictions on posting anything that is not Un-challenged evidence? I don't even think there is such a thing, the first thing the scientific community will do with new evidence is challenge it, how else do we test if it stands up under scrutiny. But you want evidence to be banned and suppressed unless everybody accepts it no questions asked?? LOL

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
...IMO....

....but I feel....

.....I believe......

......to argue this is folly.......

Can you read?

Thus your whole argument is flawed

What argument?

There is no proof for the soul

cant yet prove the existence of the soul to you

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DuceizBack

Why would a conspiracy site ban a conspiracy theorist?

Restrictions on posting anything that is not Un-challenged evidence? I don't even think there is such a thing, the first thing the scientific community will do with new evidence is challenge it, how else do we test if it stands up under scrutiny. But you want evidence to be banned and suppressed unless everybody accepts it no questions asked?? LOL

What's wrong with being a regular rationalist?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DuceizBack

What's wrong with being a regular rationalist?

It will never be possible by pure reason to arrive at some absolute truth.

- Werner Heisenberg

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
I can only hope they drill all the way through to the other side so we can see what actually happens when you jump down.Do you fall all the way through to china or just stop in the middle,You cant fall up ,right?

technically theres no such thing as "up"

or down or any other direction....its all just relative to your position.

however we dont need to dig through the earth to know what would happen if you jumped in.

you would hurtle towards the centre of the planet and assuming you didnt hit anything on the way you would fall straight past the centre carrying on towards the other side of the earth. you wouldnt reach the other side however...once you pass the centre you would begin to slow down and after a certain distance past the centre you would begin to fall back in towards it..passing it again, this time moving a little less of a distance away from the centre than before...this would keep happening untill you just end up stopped in the centre.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Please take this with a grain of salt
but for the last couple of years I’ve been reading stories about past life regressions --- I recognize that some recounts might be wishful thinking/fantasy --- but there seems to be a substantial number of successful past life regressionists out there – that I think the field is at least worthy of study. Plus it’s very interesting
and if it’s turns out that the some of the past life regressions are sincerely legit --- I think it’s a great way for us learn about our ancient history.

Anyways --- the reason I bring this up, is that when I read the OP (ty btw for bring sharing this with us) I remembered a past life regression I read of a client who recalled a past life on either Lemuria or Atlantis . He stated while under hypnosis that one of the things that caused the earth to suffer cataclysms was because for some reason they started digging really far down into the earth. (Pretty much just for the heck of it/out of stupidity)

On a related note – another reason that one of the civilization fell was because they were interfering with upset the balance of nature by destroying many its natural resources. Another disturbing similarity our ancient civilization and our own is that right near the end – scientists had been genetically modifying animals with human DNA. Apparently the creatures that were created suffered from tremendous pain and hideously grotesque. The idea that our ancient forefathers created these types of creatures is mentioned in quite a few past life accounts I’ve read about Atlantis. And might be where some of our myths of a half man/half beast arose from.

According to Dolores Cannon --- many people who are alive at this time in history were also alive during Atlantean times. The book I read where the man discussed drilling deep into the earth was written almost 10 years ago and I must say that I was honestly surprised to read the OP. I can’t help but wonder if things really are coming full circle.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The Gulf of Mexico is not a comparatively deep body of water, as you can see on the map below courtesy of the USGS there are many places the earth's crust is thinner. The map overview is divided into 10 kilometer incriments, none of the Gulf is in the 10 Km range.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Yes exactly. You have no case.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join