It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Drill Earth's Mantle, Retrieve First Sample?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrinchNoMore
I have a question, HOW THE HELL do any of you know what the "mantle" is, how deep it is, or any other dam thing about it ??

Especially since NOONE has apparently drilled down to see, or been DOWN there, how is ANY of this a known fact ??

Someone been down there ??

Some kind of amazing xray technology ?

Knowledge handed down from ancient aliens ??

WTF are all of you talking about ??

Nothing that crazy, just a seismograph:

www.solarviews.com...

And I know people don't like Wiki as a source, but this just sums up what my previous link says:

A world-wide array of seismometers can actually image the interior of the Earth in wave-speed and transmissivity

en.wikipedia.org...

Satisfied?

edit on 26-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
man reality is stranger tehn fiction as the saying goes.
there was a scifi move put out back in the early 1980? or late 1970?
anyway the scientest did EXCATLY this drilled through to the earths mantel
anyway in the movie it started a chain reaction a crack went all the way around the world and every one thought when it meet up the wolrd would be destroyed.
so round teh world it went with scientest trying every thing to stop it from growing even up to nuks.
finly using a valcanio and a nuk combined as teh crack got there they droped teh nuk into the volcanio and blam causing a eruption stoping teh crack saveing teh earth.
humm maybe it will be like sticking a bollon with a needle hu what you think? POP and teh earth is now confedy

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
First time I read about this was a few years back-first it was Americans proposing it:

www.livescience.com...

Then I think some Japanese team was going to attempt to drill through the marianas trench to the mantle,but I cannot find a link for that.

Here is an interesting related article about a similar projest from 2009:

geology.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

*facepalms*

Well, I'd still be three times closer than he will be!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

Funny you should mention the gulf disaster, that was my first thought. I think the world has enough trouble on it's hands now and this experiment should not be attempted....oh yeah that's right they are trying to destroy us after all, ignore last statement.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Earth = God ... Hell is on the dark side of the moon (or maybe Detroit).... we are as fleas on Gods/Goddess back

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by clintdelicious

Well it is proven that drilling can and has caused earthquakes..

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Watch their sample come back 90% gold and 10% crude, then watch all hell break loose.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

or the scientists were takin too many hits
( or this guy

Originally posted by xxcalbier
humm maybe it will be like sticking a bollon with a needle hu what you think? POP and teh earth is now confedy
but in all seriousness, what the fudge were they thinking, like " HHEHEHEHE DERP LETS MAKE A BIG FU**ING HOLE IN THE EARTH, THAT WONT MAKE A VOLCANO AT ALL."
edit on 5632/54/90 by misterbananas because: (no reason given)

edit on 2011/26/3 by misterbananas because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Well the thing is, if those scientists find something interesting down there, and i mean something really interesting, theres no way we normal people will be informed. I'm not interested 'bout this case. So why did i even reply...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by agentblue

No. The gravitational force will become weaker as you go down further under the ground toward the center of the earth. As you pass the center of the earth, the gravitational force will again get stronger. So, what will happen is that you will continuously oscillate back and forth from one side to the other like riding a yo-yo. In this process, the speed will be the greatest at the center. If you lose all of the kinetic energy (due to the friction), you will permanently settle down at the center of the earth where the gravity force is the minimum(zero). You will need some kind of rocket engine force to come out of there to the surface assuming that you will survive all the heat and the hellish environment.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well, I can officially say that after reading this thread, I feel alot more "stupider". Apart from the few posters that are actually using science to explain a science venture, you people are lost. Hollow earth, spilling magma, oil disasters, wtf.

Someone watches too much brainwashing boob tube. The movies are corrupting your minds. Reality is slipping away from society.

Thank you, to the few posters for keeping the science real.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Lunatic, insane, mad scientist, they get more and more stupid all the time. There's a very fine line between genius, and insane, and they broke the barrier of flipping idiots.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
$1,000 they'll drill into Hell just like those miners. This is perfect! I've been waiting for reputable scientist to do this project. I am 10,000% sure Hell is in the middle of Earth. When they hear voices from the spirits there just like those miners did, there will be NO EXCUSE!! This will be HD sound. I can't wait for this!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

You make me sick...really, you do. Think long and hard about that... no never mind, it wouldn't do any good.

I would simply interested to see how the samples would challenge earth formation theories.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
some info for those that think this is a good idea to check out

Yes, Virginia, There is Induced Seismicity

Smu study

in fact in will be alot easier just for you to go thru the links on this thread..

www.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The last thing this beautiful Planet needs is a root canal... I can see this project turning into a real nightmare !

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

this is serious. if they drill down too far the drill will stick out into the hollow earth and all the oceans will drain out and fall into the centre on to the inner sun and extinguish it and that will annoy the Nazis who will get into their UFOs and come out an get us and the annunaki will not be too pleased either!

Muaaah!!

On a more serious note I doubt they will manage to get down that far however quoting the article in the OP

There's no danger of a blowout, such as the Gulf oil spill, because there are no oil and gas deposits in the mid-ocean for the drill to accidentally penetrate, he added.

Oh really? This would only be the case if you discount the theory of abiotic oil. This PDF actually casts some doubt on that theory but does not dismiss it. A good document, See also Abiotic Oil is real

Why do the "Men In White Coats That Guess" have to fiddle with these things?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Now call me stupid but why do they need to drill for the mantle

Surely they've been informed of this phenomena.......

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

society's complete existence is really f*cking with nature if you think about it.

I don't think this is a particularly awesome idea really though, seems really sketchy to me. It would be interesting to see what the sample reveals though

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

And they might drill straight into some poor inner Earth person's house

The whole thing's a crazy idea
at least it'll prove or disprove the hollow Earth theory one way or another...

Can't wait to see what happens

edit on 26/3/2011 by Fazza! because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join