It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Drill Earth's Mantle, Retrieve First Sample?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz

Originally posted by agentblue
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

The deepest hole..thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com...info...

That is an absolute load of BS and you should be ashamed for posting it. So, they drilled 14.4 KM into the center of the Earth? 14.4 KM isn't even a pinprick on the Earth. They are a little over half way through the crust, let alone the mantle or core.The diameter of the plant is around 8000 miles, or 14000 KM.

I take it from your post that you didn't actually read the page that was linked to by the poster?

The authors tell the story then conclude at the end;

OK, yes that was an urban legend that gained popularity and massive press as it 'proved' Hell and thus God exists.

The scientist did manage to reach a depth of 12.262 kilometres or about 7 miles, taking core samples to study the Earth's crust.

Just for reference, it is about 4,000 miles to the center of the Earth so the world's longest hole reached 0.175% of the way.

A "core sample" does not mean a "sample of the core", by the way. A "core sample" means a cylindrical section that holds uniform layers. You can take a "core sample" of the ground you are standing on.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
People have a big cup of crazy today or something? Or just not read the article?

They aren't drilling to the core, they are drilling to the mantle. Meaning no lava, and no volcano.

Other than that, what on earth do you think is going to happen? The earth crack in two pieces and fall apart because of a tiny tiny tiny tiny little hole? Some people sure do have an imagination. Think of the hole a mosquito leaves when it bites you. Now imagine that mosquito being a few hundred thousand times smaller. That's still probably bigger than this hole will be relative to the size of the earth.

Do people on ATS even think anymore before proclaiming how we are on the verge of destroying the earth because of something completely benign?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
So I guess there is only one thing to do....
Lets VRIL umm drill away!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toots

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
Scientists? SCIENTISTS?? Well, if they're SCIENTISTS they *must* know what they're doing. Nothing to worry about, folks, it's people who understand SCIENCE....

And since those scientists are soooo much smarter than us, why should there be any worries, right? But IF they should cause a cataclysmic event, oh well....according to this, it might be presumed that there will be no accountability. Just another scientific OOPS.

lol. dont be so quick to dish on science. Somebodies gotta do the forward thinking, so why not the educated?

Big hole. sounds doooope

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainn... ameatlonglast.com/long213.html

The scientist did manage to reach a depth of 12.262 kilometres or about 7 miles, taking core samples to study the Earth's crust.

Just for reference, it is about 4,000 miles to the center of the Earth so the world's longest hole reached 0.175% of the way.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
My mind is going back and forth on this.

Is it really a good idea to do something that could "anger" the earth even more with everything going on lately?
Or will it teach us something new that we can use to handle, deal, and prepare for these disasters.
I simply don't know enough to draw a conclusion.

Thanks for sharing, I kinda wish I could be there and see all this happen but be in a protective bubble of sorts.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Hmm this reminds me of the hollow Earth theory. Just imagine if they attached a camera to the end of the drill bit, and as it breaks through into the mantle, you see an open sky. That would be a sight to behold. =p Unfortunately 99.9 percent unlikely...but we conspiracy theorist can always dream.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Even if oil is in the deep earth (highly improbable!) the energy expended in drilling for it would exceed the energy returned by the oil itself.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
WAR! WAR! WAR!

TPTB are starting a war with the residents of Hollow Earth! They want the inner-oil and sun all for themselfs! They will tell us that Inner Earthling rebels are planning a terrorist attack using chemical WMDs!

I jest, on a more serious note. This could be a great sceintific endeavour second only to the moon landings. Anyone one know if there planning on put a camera down with the drill?

ALS

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
why drill all the way to manyle we know whats there hollow earth just kidding . but seriously its just superheated mineral in a liquid state under extreme pressure. why waste money and equipment on this?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982
People have a big cup of crazy today or something? Or just not read the article?

They aren't drilling to the core, they are drilling to the mantle. Meaning no lava, and no volcano.

Other than that, what on earth do you think is going to happen? The earth crack in two pieces and fall apart because of a tiny tiny tiny tiny little hole? Some people sure do have an imagination. Think of the hole a mosquito leaves when it bites you. Now imagine that mosquito being a few hundred thousand times smaller. That's still probably bigger than this hole will be relative to the size of the earth.

Do people on ATS even think anymore before proclaiming how we are on the verge of destroying the earth because of something completely benign?

Dude the mantle is where the magma is, that is lava when it gets to the surface.While we're at it lets drill all the way to the core.Anyone got 4 or 5 thousand feet of drill?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha

Originally posted by James1982

Dude the mantle is where the magma is, that is lava when it gets to the surface.While we're at it lets drill all the way to the core.Anyone got 4 or 5 thousand feet of drill?

You're gonna need that in meters if you even want to be close.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Yeah... they've got a drill that can go 6 miles.

I dunno what to think about this one. It's not going to be until ~2020 so we'll have plenty of time to blow ourselves up until then, anyways.

Wouldn't be too concerned if the scientists decided to go ahead with the plan, unfortunately I like to believe they happen to know what they're talking about and why it would be an interesting find. Understanding how the mantle is composed in its natural form within the deep earth would certainly bring about some confirmation of exactly how the tectonics work I'd imagine.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OhioPariah

Actually that would be miles I think.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvillerBob

Originally posted by DragonTattooz

Originally posted by agentblue
reply to post by FarBeyondDriven69

The deepest hole..thelongestlistofthelongeststuffatthelongestdomainnameatlonglast.com...info...

That is an absolute load of BS and you should be ashamed for posting it. So, they drilled 14.4 KM into the center of the Earth? 14.4 KM isn't even a pinprick on the Earth. They are a little over half way through the crust, let alone the mantle or core.The diameter of the plant is around 8000 miles, or 14000 KM.

I take it from your post that you didn't actually read the page that was linked to by the poster?

The authors tell the story then conclude at the end;

OK, yes that was an urban legend that gained popularity and massive press as it 'proved' Hell and thus God exists.

A "core sample" does not mean a "sample of the core", by the way. A "core sample" means a cylindrical section that holds uniform layers. You can take a "core sample" of the ground you are standing on.

Actually, yes, I did read the whole thing. Hence, my conclusion that it is a load of BS. It appears to have been written by a 6th grader without a clue as to how big this planet is.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fiberx

If someone does get hurt, it's be the guys doing the drilling, not the guy 100 miles away pounding Dr. Pepper and maddly smoking his cigs while surfing the ATS forums.

I knew it, who at ATS is sending subliminal messages to drink Dr.Pepper and smoke lol?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by karmajayne

Recently I thought "What if the Earth itself is the Creator?" Wouldn't she be tired of being poked with holes, having her fluids extracted, being gouged into and stripped of her subcutaneous tissues? Wouldn't she be upset with the reckless misuse of our co-residents?
Wouldn't she eventually get tired of the equivalent of cigarettes being put out on her skin (aka Wars, Bombings, Wildfires/Arsons) her air being corrupted, her H2O being poisoned, etc.?
Wouldn't she finally say "ENOUGH! Get off me!"??

Like George Karlin used to say: (paraphrasing here)
We are like a bad case of the fleas on the earth's surface. She can shake us off at whim.

And if all the calamities occurring now are not caused by human idiocy and/or conspiracies (which I suspect is the case), is it possible she's just getting more and more upset and sick and tired of it? Could you blame her?

I'm not saying either way is my formal stance - it's just a thought.
How audacious of "scientists" to be meddling where we are not invited.
What if the scientific theories are wrong, and drilling into the core has the effect of popping a balloon? Will we go careening into space far from our sun and into oblivion?

This planet is a living thing. We have no business vivisecting her. Good grief.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I have a question, HOW THE HELL do any of you know what the "mantle" is, how deep it is, or any other dam thing about it ??

Especially since NOONE has apparently drilled down to see, or been DOWN there, how is ANY of this a known fact ??

Someone been down there ??

Some kind of amazing xray technology ?

Knowledge handed down from ancient aliens ??

WTF are all of you talking about ??

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by okiecowboy

Why would that create anything like an earthquake?!? The plates involved are massive and even thje largest drills we have are like a needle going through the concrete of a car park

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by okiecowboy
I wonder if that Japanese drill ship with 6 miles of drilling pipe was drilling any test holes in the Honshu region on or about the 11th of march

x2!

Looks like Japan caused it's own tsunami. That's got to suck.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join