It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Drill Earth's Mantle, Retrieve First Sample?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Scientists to Drill Earth's Mantle, Retrieve First Sample?

news.nationalgeographic.com

Scientists are planning to drill all the way through the planet's miles-thick crust to Earth's deep, hot mantle and retrieve samples for the first time. The samples, they say, would rival moon rocks for sheer scientific import—and be nearly as hard to get.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: BAN Instructions: Copy The EXACT Headline
edit on 3/26/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hello everyone, I'm not new at ATS but this is my first post. Lets hope this don't turn out like the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf! It will be awesome to find out more about whats inside the earth. Maybe they will be able to prove or disprove the Abiotic Oil Theory. Anyways it will be something to keep our eyes on. What say you?

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
OP, can you tell us when and where?

(mainly so i could be miles away, a lil earthquake might get started
)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Why do I have this odd feeling in my gut that this is gonna end up VERY badly for the whole Earth?

My instincts tell me to not F**K with Nature.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
And they , the scientists believe this is ok thing to do?

that is the most insane thing that I have ever heard

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
"hey guys, remember the bp oil spill? and all the earthquakes happening? why dont we drill a brig friggin hole super deep just to check it out? nothin bad can happen right?"

thats how im guess the conversation went

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
wow really all the way through is this even safe i mean would this not cause some damage to the earth?.

i really don't know but it seams to me like this would not be a good idea at all

do they actully know what they are doing surly this is not a bright idea
hmmmmm???.

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I can only hope they drill all the way through to the other side so we can see what actually happens when you jump down.Do you fall all the way through to china or just stop in the middle,You cant fall up ,right?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skate
Why do I have this odd feeling in my gut that this is gonna end up VERY badly for the whole Earth?

My instincts tell me to not F**K with Nature.

I doubt that drilling the equivalent of a needle hole in the earth a few km's deep is gonna mess with anything.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
$1,000 they'll drill into Hell just like those miners. This is perfect! I've been waiting for reputable scientist to do this project. I am 10,000% sure Hell is in the middle of Earth. When they hear voices from the spirits there just like those miners did, there will be NO EXCUSE!! This will be HD sound. I can't wait for this!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Someone just wants a reason to build a big drill to compensate for something.
It's the history of man.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm kind of excited about this idea. I was going to suggest (before RTF) that they'd have to do it where the crust was thinnest, under the ocean...I don't think this is a bad idea at all.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

umm correct me if im wrong but doesn't the op state that they want to drill all they way down to the molten mantle thats quite a bit further than a few km im no scientist but even i know that!!
edit on 25-3-2011 by karmajayne because: to edit tha to thats

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
I'm gonna put my money on a new volcano where ever they decide to do this. Just sayin the pressure down there ain't no joke and well it's molten so why wouldn't it erupt? Who knows maybe they know we're already fu*ked and just wanna see what's there

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I tend to agree with the Hopi. Earth is crying. She suffers on many fronts, including human degradation of her awesome beauty.

Earth will heal herself and the healing will take much of her energy even unto the detriment of all life that dwells within and upon her.

And yeah, the scientists are the insane ones. Mess with life all the time. Raise concerns and they demand proof! Completely intractable until they have the imperical data. Even as Earth roils and roars!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ag893
$1,000 they'll drill into Hell just like those miners. This is perfect! I've been waiting for reputable scientist to do this project. I am 10,000% sure Hell is in the middle of Earth. When they hear voices from the spirits there just like those miners did, there will be NO EXCUSE!! This will be HD sound. I can't wait for this!!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I'm going to remember this post next time I presume your reason to be infallible.

link   
You people need to read the article and get your facts straight.

Nor would the mantle rocks suddenly erupt out of the hole, since the channel would be narrow and mantle rocks aren't molten.

link   
I wonder if that Japanese drill ship with 6 miles of drilling pipe was drilling any test holes in the Honshu region on or about the 11th of march

link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
I can only hope they drill all the way through to the other side so we can see what actually happens when you jump down.Do you fall all the way through to china or just stop in the middle,You cant fall up ,right?
Wow I always wondered that!!! I ain the only person who wondered the very same question. I heard that we'd stop in the center and the gravitational pull would be so great that we'd be crushed before we got a third of the way to the center.... After all its just a theory because nobody really knows

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join