It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspected cop killer takes hostages in northern Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Atlanta (CNN) -- The suspect in the slaying of a police officer barricaded himself in a house in Athens, Georgia, on Friday and has taken between six and nine people hostage, including children, said Vernon Keenan, director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

www.cnn.com...

Who knows what motivated this guy to go on a rampage and take hostages. It's probably nothing political but I had no where else to post this, but then again since everything is political it will be made into a political thing...or not, interesting how somethings like the Tucson shooting were made into political things and this probably will be forgotten in the news. Oh well, didn't see it anywhere else so I wanted the ATS community to comment on it.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
yep, only CNN is reporting on this, so it's most likely a real event and they will ignore it. Now if the guy's face was plastered on every main stream news outlet, AP, fox news, BBC, etc, then it would probably be a false flag attack, do you see how these things operate?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I live in Georgia, and used to live in Athens. I heard about the cops getting killed yesterday from a friend. Tragic.

He surrendered by the way.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
I live in Georgia, and used to live in Athens. I heard about the cops getting killed yesterday from a friend. Tragic.

He surrendered by the way.

Yes, I saw that. Notice how no one even on ATS cares about this story. This is someone who killed a cop and took hostages. It's funny that people are always talking about a war on cops but this will slide right on by and not be brought up again. If it was someone who was a fan of the movie Loose Change they would say how conspiracy theorists are to blame for these cop killings but because hostages were also taken, it shows a mentality a little beyond "conspiracy theories" and so this is most likely a man at the end of his ropes doing the last ditch effort to maintain control. The fact that only CNN from what I've seen is reporting on this means this is a real news event, not a false flag event. If all the media outlets reported on this story and all showed the same image of the man, I would be suspicious.

The silence is deafening.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It is good that the hostages were released, and no more blood shed happened.

After living in Athens for five years this is very surprising. It is a pretty small town with relatively low violent crime. This type of violence would be expected in Atlanta, or even Savannah. Not in Athens though.

I do not know the specifics of the case. It is unclear if the suspect is mentally estranged, inebriated, or in some other unstable state. It is also unclear why he did what he did. Apparently, his brother was shot to death by police in 2001. I have to imagine this had some role in his decision to assassinate a police officer.

It is sad to say this, but if this man had not taken hostages he probably would not have been taken alive.

This event brings up several issues that are prevalent in both Athens, and for that matter the entire deep South. Athens is one of leading cities in the nation in poverty. The city of Athens has specific conditions which contribute to this, but there are broader issues that are reflected across the South.

Mainly poor African-American communities across the South have far higher levels of all social ills. These communities have higher unemployment, drug use, and police brutality. They have few voices in government, and little options to find redress for grievances.

I think a case can be made that the War on Drugs has kept a form of martial law in the "ghettos." This includes police shooting often unarmed suspects. This leads to anger, and a palpable seething undercurrent of rage toward both law enforcement and government.

Another factor to this is economic uncertainty, and poverty. If you are on your last dollar, and you are going hungry your mentality begins to change. You begin to get angry. You lash out at anything, or anyone who you can direct your anger at.

I think that it is a mistake to always assume that a lone crazy did something violent. It is important to look with clear eyes at what may cause such things to happen. Unless we look honestly at our social problems they will never be cured.

In this case he had a family history that increased his hate for police. If he was inebriated or just plain desperate then it created a terrible situation. Whatever the reason he chose to take an innocent life to channel his own pain. A terrible shame that a good man had to die, and that another man felt he needed to take a life.

edit on 25-3-2011 by stephinrazin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
he will get life, maybe 25ys will get parole.

shoot these dirtbags now!!

green prisonation~!~~!!

yes green incarceration!!

the greeny judicial!!!!!!

eat that holder!!
edit on 25-3-2011 by fooks because: dumb stuff

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

edit on 26-3-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

top topics

join