It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What gives the Government the right to impose its will on any of us?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel
What gives the Government......or any other group the right to control your life? This isnt a rant against the USA or any group......just the question.

Our participation in the government, and the society that the government governs, gives it the right to do with us whatever it feels is necessary to maintain the status quo. Pretty simple. For instance, you pay your taxes so you can have a police force. That police force is granted the power of life and death in certain situations. Hopefully, they'll just shoot the bad guys, but there's a chance you might someday be in a position where you are determined to be the bad guy, and you get killed. That's the chance you take for giving up the burden of having to make those decisions, or patrol your neighborhood for bad guys, or whatever. It's a pretty good deal, because I personally don't want to have to make all the decisions myself. Otherwise, that's all I'd ever be doing.

Another good thing is, if you don't like it, particularly in the United States, you're free to travel around the world all you like until you find a system you like better. The basic differences are whether you want your interests represented by a single person like a dictator or king, or a group of religious leaders, or a selection people you vote into office. They all have their pluses and minuses.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I tried to think of what government was originally intended to do. After some contemplation, I am at a loss. I think they were supposed to serve the common good, but have turned into a freakish monster sucking the lifesblood out of the citizenry. Who needs it?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join