It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

water filters and purifiers for SHTF/BOB: which one?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
hello people, i have been trying to complete my BOB lately but have been stuck on water purification... i first thought about using iodone tablets, then realized that they tend to run out quite quickly and dont filter out any of the nasty chemicals/metals/toxins, they're only good for killing bacteria/viruses.

the next thing i tried was a steripen.. they do exactly the same as iodine tablets but they use uv light instead of nasty chemicals(which some people tend to be allergect to) but since it did not filter out the toxins i scratched that one off of my list as well..

i have seen people recoment the small filters that atach to your camel back or canteen, but after using one for a weekend campout with only my BOB i realized a fiew flaws; first the filter is on your camel back or canteen, so if you find a small, shallow pool you will have a hard time filling up your container all the way, of course this wont be a problem with ponds/rivers but if but if you come apon a limited amount of water it will be hard to get it all.. next i found that if the water is kinda nasty you will be carring a breeding groung for bacteria on your back, that will soon turn into a cest pool.. ant the main reason i dont like it is that you have to suck the water out. so once you need to pour some water on a wound, use it for cooking/freeze-dried food or to give some to a friend/family member you will have to practically suck it out and spit it into a container which is not only time consuming but also unsanitary.. i realize if you blow air into the container it will squirt water out, but that also shoots bacteria from your mouth into the clean side of the filter, and once the water comes out it will start breeding that bacteria and wont be clean for long..

there fore i have come to the conclusion that because pump action water filters adress all the above problems, they are the best in a BOB/SHTF/survival situation.. the problem is there are so many to choose from, i have a ceramic and a charcoal filter but they are bigger than most and in a BOB the more space, the more stuff you can carry..

SO, i am wondering what type of pump filters you people would recomend that are small, durable, and have filters that will last long.

thanks for taking the time to read it all.hahaha.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have done some research on this issue and have found KATADYN AND DOULTON USA,these seem to be the best,Doulton makes silver impregnated porcelain filters that do a great job.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I just ordered the Katadyn Pocket, its a hefty price at around 280 dollars, but you don't need to buy extra filters or worry about the purifier breaking as it is made of metal. The ceramic filter lasts a claimed 13,000 gallons and maintenance is merely taking out the filter and washing it after use. You still will need some kind of sterilizing agent as the purifiers will not filter out the small viruses and bacteria.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I've heard you can use trichlorocide to kill all bacterias but I don't know how many grams need to be used per gallon of water in order to make it drinkable. Anybody can tell ?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have this one in my backpack.

www.amazon.com...

Plus a bottle of water purifier additive and this little straw. I like a little redundancy.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
We bought the big berkey for the house, a few sport bottles for the go.

Love the big berkey so far, saving the sport bottles.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
well the big berkley i think, is illegal in california.. you no how the california government is with wanting to controll food, water, electricity, guns, ect.hahahaha... anyways if you meen sodium hypochlorite(aka bleach) the maximum ammount is 10 drops to a gallon, but i just use about 7-8... and that is nice that that filter is made of metal, but i want something that can filter bacterias and small microbes as well..

top topics

join