It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened To The Cool Cartoons I Used To Watch As A Kid!?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What happened to Bugs Bunny,The Road Runner and Looney Tunes cartoons?? They were actually worth watching and ASTRO Boy i want my cartoons back! The cartoons of today aren't fun and there just garbage!..Lets talk about some of your favorite old cartoons and post some videos of the ones you loved as a kid..I just thought of another great one Rocky & Bullwinkle!!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
That's some good stuff.

I prefer the 80's and mid 90's anime and cartoon scene myself.
Come on, the JEM theme! Centurions! Hand drawn animation!

Took me a while to warm back up to current stuff, but My Little Ponies is actually surprisingly hilarious since it's essentially Powerpuff girls with animals. My girlfriend and her friend watch it, haha. It's also become a major net meme.

Transformers, despite being a commercial at heart, has a good incarnation that just started as well. Transformers: Prime. Takes the mythology fairly seriously and has some cool characters and interesting animation once you warm up to it.
------

If you enjoy old cartoons, you may enjoy this article; The Inception was done by Scrooge McDuck was the best part.
5 Amazing Things Invented By Donald Duck
edit on 25-3-2011 by SweetRevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Can't go wrong with cartoons from the 80s!

SDF: Macross (Robotech in North America, altered story etc. as well) is my all-time favourite though.
edit on 25/3/11 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I have them all on VCR. An 18 piece set I picked up for 50 cents apiece at the local Goodwill. I play them sometimes for my grand kids and they just look as ask "Where's Spongebob?.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I miss them too! Sometimes I rent them from Netflix. I don't know if they are just too old school for kids now days. I recall some talk in the past that they portrayed too much violence (i.e., guns, explosives, etc.) and perhaps some bigoted content. I never noticed them when I was a kid though and they certainly are a damn sight better than the Japanimation crap that is out there today.

My 2-cents

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

I love hand drawn animation! Transformers is another good one..and thanks for the link on Donald Duck that was a very good read .. I think the one with Inception was a good one never looked at it like that and they were similar,thanks for the reply!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I have everything single season + Extras of the Flintstones. Greatest of all time IMHO.

YABBA-DABBA-DOO!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Hey all...I think the OP is talking about earlier times than the 80s.

That's too bad, because we know the 80s was THE best time for cartoons.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Don't paint anime with such a wide brush, friend.
Watch Grave of the Fireflies, it is a compelling WWII movies chronicling the hardship of Japanese children during wartime.Trailer

Memories from a Distant Star, is a touching Sci-Fi piece about the effects of interstellar events. One of a couple goes to war in space, and the time it takes their mail to reach each other grows in distance. Imagine aging and receiving messages form the love of your life years, maybe decades after their sent and she's possibly long gone. Subbed Trailer

Ghost in the Shell, all of the series incarnations are actually very well thought out and concern the issues of cyberization, human augmentation, and transhumanism. The more recent series; Stand Alone Complex, deals a lot with net connectivity and media.

Those are all pretty good, more adult, or "deeper" series. though I won't argue that a lot of recent anime has been rubbish. Some days it's hard to call myself a fan.
edit on 25-3-2011 by SweetRevenge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

I know all those cartoons..but for some reason i don't remember Robotech..some of the cartoons in the 80s were very good! thanks for the reply and the vids

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SweetRevenge

I apologize for the way I worded that, as it was a bit insensitive to others tastes. However, it's not the content that I dislike, rather it's the artistic style.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TerryMcGuire
I have them all on VCR. An 18 piece set I picked up for 50 cents apiece at the local Goodwill. I play them sometimes for my grand kids and they just look as ask "Where's Spongebob?.

You got a good buy there on those cartoons at Goodwill..I still have my old VCR and pick movies up for cheap because everything went over to disk..I bet the grand kids love comeing to your house! thanks for the reply

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
my favorites:

Dungeons and Dragons cartoon

Scooby Doo

Foghorn Leghorn

Popeye the Sailor

land of the lost

Pink Panther cartoon

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Well, the toons I watched as a kid sorta sucked in my opinion.
We had bugs and such (Daffy = cooler), Tom & Jerry (always rooted for Tom to finally get the mouse..Jerry was an arrogant ass), and the damned smurfs...but it wasn't until I was in my late teens/early 20s when "good" toons came out

I did like the rampant steriotypes of the early cartoons though, hong kong fooey and such, amusing stuff, if highly politically incorrect, but still amusing.

As far a recent cartoons...well, I actually do record Futurama...thats about it..over cartoons now except for futurama (and southpark..but not sure if that qualifies).

U used to watch the simpsons, but it sort of became stale over time. not that toons need to be a soap opera, but after years, your bound to have some passing memorys of what occured before...one week homer is not a total fool, he has some mental agility, but he is just too lazy to even try..the following week, he is all but retarded...one week bart was sort of a nice kid at heart, the following he was incredibly evil (and also follows the smart one week, idiot the next week)..I know its meant simply as a parody skit and the characters are actually not overly important as the situational comedy...but meh, that bugs me.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Fair enough, I didn't think ill of it, but as a rather avid cartoon and animation fan, I sometimes go into a rant mode.

Theres also a lot of different styles if you dig far enough, I'm sure you could find something that you like. I actually prefer the 80's anime scene for it's more human and hand-drawn style (Like the Grave of the Fireflies trailer I linked).
-----
sorry for going off topic OP, I'm fairly passionate about my 'toons.

Scooby Do is another older series I like. It's hit a few rough patches with all the add ons and so forth, but entertaining over all.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

* for the D&D...forgot about that...total classic.

Oh, and I remembered something that was just freaking amazingly great to my young mind:
Star Blazers...damn I loved those toons...even though it was a mega serious cartoon (and one of the first anime series imported over to the US successfully if memory serves)

Ya, take that pokemon lovers...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
I miss them too! Sometimes I rent them from Netflix. I don't know if they are just too old school for kids now days. I recall some talk in the past that they portrayed too much violence (i.e., guns, explosives, etc.) and perhaps some bigoted content. I never noticed them when I was a kid though and they certainly are a damn sight better than the Japanimation crap that is out there today.

My 2-cents

Ive also done that rent them from netflix then pop up a big bowl of popcorn and laugh..Now cartoons are all hi tech and poor Donald got left in the dust
As a kid i never thought anything about the violence i always thought that's what made them funny, but I'm sure your 100% right on why the old cartoons aren't around anymore,,But i still miss them! thanks for the reply

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I have everything single season + Extras of the Flintstones. Greatest of all time IMHO.

YABBA-DABBA-DOO!

YAY for the Flintstones! another one of my favs i never missed any of those when they were on!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

The cartoons of the 80 were OK some were good but i still miss the oldies but goodies!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Foghorn! I just loved that one.. Popeye another classic along with PinkPanther..thanks for the vids and reply

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join