It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon introduces bill to criminalize nicotine possession!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tygart

Why would they do that? The government is making too much money.

Oh, but are you forgetting how much money comes in when something enters the black market? Much more money, police, courts, prison, p̶r̶o̶p̶a̶g̶a̶n̶d̶a̶ education programs, etc.

The money in this new scenario comes from smokers and non-smokers. More money to be had...

edit on 25-3-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

yes they will ban cigs and tobacco but they will legalize THC

no for real

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Anybody can produce a bill. It does not reflect the general consensus of a community. I can say with 100% assuredness that this bill will never go anywhere. People went nuts over banning smoking in bars, they would straight-up riot if you took their smokes away altogether.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0001391

Originally posted by legalizeit
its about time someone had the ballz to get rid of cigarettes ... the things that are PROVEN to kill ...
Maybe now cannibas will have a fair chance to rise ..

So it's okay to take away other people's rights if it gives you a chance to get what you want?

Don't worry. Legalizeit is just confused.

He is incredibly guilty of the same type of thinking that he supposedly rallies against. Hypocrite? You bet.

Anyway, people still think this bill will make cigarettes illegal. I thought this as well after I first went through the bill. After re-reading it several times, it will NOT make cigarettes illegal.

You will still be able to buy cigarettes if you are over 18, and still be able to smoke them anywhere that is currently allowed (meaning, inside your home, outdoors as long as you are a certain distance away from a business, or not in an area that specifically prohibits smoking)

The bill does have some confusing language, but just to reiterate CIGARETTES WILL NOT BE ILLEGAL so don't fret.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
i support this

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MConnalley
i support this

I'll make sure you put you on the list of "People that hate personal freedom"

Good job my friend

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Oregon is indeed a goofy place, it is a mix of cool people and some serious backwoods control freaks. Just watch that JAIL television show at the Multnomah County Jail where these uneducated fat jailers are completely over the top control freaks who seemly take pride in their abuse of detainees. I'm thinking they're related to their clientele, but the side of the family with a job.

Seems to me that the Law Enforcement community is in danger of losing clients as the MJ laws are being relaxed, so their looking for other avenues to keep their workforce employed and tobacco seems to fit the bill.

The real problem with the stupid GAS up law is when you're driving long distance and pass through Oregon in the middle of the night out in the middle of nowhere and need fuel. Most of those little towns fuel stops in the mountains are closed at night and on more than one occasion I found myself easing off the throttle watching that gas gauge in order to extend my range at 3AM. Once I just parked at a gas pump and waited the 45 minutes for the station to open in the morning rather than risk running out. I wonder if they ever considered the extra dangers created by making that safety law. No fuel for emergencies & the risks associated with running out of fuel at night & possibly leaving valuables or loved ones on a highway at night etc. Control freaks will say, why are you driving at night instead of checking in to a hotel room?
edit on 25-3-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

I just have to ask, what does that say about the people in Oregon? The message I am getting is: We are too stupid to fill up our own tanks.

It doesn't surprise me that the same state would try and table a bill like this.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MConnalley
i support this

would love to know why,. please explain

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Originally posted by Gixxer

Originally posted by legalizeit
its about time someone had the ballz to get rid of cigarettes ... the things that are PROVEN to kill ...
Maybe now cannibas will have a fair chance to rise ..

don't get confused this is not going to affect ciggerettes at all in anyway, this is about liquid nicotene that is use in electric cigerettes, tobaccos number one competition.

Wait I think I misread the bill because I thought it said Tobacco was going to be illegal... I'll have to go over it again.

If so, that sucks. E-Ciggs are way better for you than tobacco, and I've been wanting to get into them for awhile. I'd almost be more upset if it was just e-cigarette nicotine cartridges becoming illegal...

if you are really interested in the ecig gimme a pm i can point you in the right direction for all the info you need , and trust me they work!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
AGAIN PEOPLE!!!

this is not about cigeretts, this is about nicotine juice wich is the needed ingredient for e-cigerettes, wich the tobacco companies are losing millions too, please do not beleive this has ANYTHING todo with cigerettes.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There is no way this will be pass and here is why. www.taxpolicycenter.org...

Even though this data is a few years old, the fact remains that the states can not afford to lose the tax revenue generated by tobacco. Every state is dealing with budget problems and not having enough money. Why would they institute a law that will have them lose even more money?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Gixxer

Thanks for the offer, but I don't really have much cash to get into them. Once I start working again I'll definitely get one. I've been researching them since before they were even being sold in the US. An "alternative smoking" (wink wink) forum that I used to frequent had a user from China (I think it was) that was talking about them years ago, and the thread was about using the e-cigs for "alternative smoking uses" (another wink wink) And ever since then I've been doing all the reading about them that I could.

It's surprising how popular they are getting now. 7-11s here in Portland now carry some cheapo ones for 20 bucks with 2 batts, 5 carts, wall charger, USB charger, etc.

Damn tobacco companies! I'm going to be pissed if these things are illegal (because of this bill) by the time I can get some cash together to buy one.
edit on 25-3-2011 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gixxer

It is about ciggarettes. By making nicotine a scheduled drug it does not matter if it is an e-cigarette or not. Nicotine is nicotine. By making it illegal to posesses 0.1mg it makes it a crime to have a pack of smokes in your posession. If a perscription is given then it is ok to posess. ex. nicoderm or nicorette.

(4)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this subsection, a person
commits the crime of unlawful possession of nicotine if the person knowingly possesses more
than 0.1 milligram of nicotine.
(b) Paragraph (a) of this subsection does not apply to a person who possesses nicotine
obtained directly from or pursuant to a valid prescription or order issued by a practitioner
as defined in ORS 475.005 while acting in the course of professional practice.
(c) Paragraph (a) of this subsection does not apply to a veterinarian, physician,
pharmacist, retail distributor, wholesaler, manufacturer, warehouse operator or common
carrier or an agent of any of these persons if the possession is in the regular course of lawful
business activities.
(
(d) Unlawful possession of nicotine is a Class A misdemeanor.
(5)(a) A person commits the crime of unlawful distribution of nicotine if the person sells
or otherwise transfers nicotine:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lcbjr1979
There is no way this will be pass and here is why. www.taxpolicycenter.org...

Even though this data is a few years old, the fact remains that the states can not afford to lose the tax revenue generated by tobacco. Every state is dealing with budget problems and not having enough money. Why would they institute a law that will have them lose even more money?

REPOST:

Oh, but are you forgetting how much money comes in when something enters the black market? Much more money, police, courts, prison, p̶r̶o̶p̶a̶g̶a̶n̶d̶a̶ education programs, etc.

The money in this new scenario comes from smokers and non-smokers. More money to be had...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Hey! I live in Seaside! We like it weird!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
If it is concerning all tobacco products, it will never pass tax money on cigarettes is to much and cigarette companies have way to much money and influence.

If it is concerning the juice for e-cigarettes it may pass New York is trying right now to ban electronic smoking devices that are not approved by the FDA, which no e-cig is right now.

Its all about tax money and cigarette companies lobbyists.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have mixed feelings. I have been a smoker for 25 years. I'm 43 now. I don't feel as healthy as I should.. I get winded easily when exerting myself, I wheeze - wont even think about running and I'm not out of shape physically. I worry about my heart and lungs. I want to quit I just don't seem to have the willpower. It my state outlawed tobacco It would make it a hell of a lot easier for me to quit. I did cut down a lot though.. for the past 5 years I have smokes chemical free roll your own natural tobacco. This is equivalent to me making a pack of cigs last 3 or 4 days as apposed to one.

Constitutionally I think this bill is wrong and if an American wants to smoke he should have that right. That's assuming this bill would make cigarette smoking illegal.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well is this pure nicotine or are they talking cigarettes and anything with nicotine in them. Nicotine can kill you in high enough doses. It's still pretty crazy, but if they are talking about restricting pure nicotine (anti smoking aids, etc) it would be smart.

It's not pure nicotine. From the bill :

A person commits the crime of endangering the welfare of a minor if the person
knowingly:

[(d) Distributes, sells, or causes to be sold, tobacco in any form to a person under 18 years of age;
or]
[(e)] (d) Sells to a person under 18 years of age any device in which tobacco, marijuana, coc aine
or any controlled substance, as defined in ORS 475.005, is burned and the principal design and use
of which is directly or indirectly to deliver tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke, coc aine smoke or
smoke from any controlled substance into the human body including but not limited to:
(A) Pipes, water pipes, hookahs, wooden pipes, carburetor pipes, electric pipes, air driven pipes,
corncob pipes, meerschaum pipes and ceramic pipes, with or without screens, permanent screens,
hashish heads or punctured metal bowls;
(B) Carburetion tubes and devices, including carburetion masks;
(C) Bongs;
(D) Chillums;
(E) Ice pipes or chillers;
(F) Cigarette rolling papers and rolling machines; and
(G) Cocaine free basing kits.

Yeah it's about engendering minors, but it's still talks about cigarettes and tobacco.

This is effectively against cigarettes and the whole nicotine industry.

This doesn't show it includes cigarettes, it just makes it illegal to give smokes and related products to minors.
DID YOU EVEN READ what you posted?!!? Or do you just see what you want to??

I am sure they are talking pure nicotine. A cigarette has about 1 mg of nicotine in it so one smoke would be 10 times the limit.

This is either blatant Fear mongering or the OP don't understand what he just read.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Well I can say as an Oregonian and a smoker this is just another example of why I hate this state, I smoke it's my choice get over it and I have a kid but I don't smoke around him and go outside to smoke as my parents did the same thing with me growing up which I know I can't smoke anywhere in public which I understand that as many people don't like the smell and I respect that and now I won't be able to smoke at all this makes me mad first it was the bars where chain smokers got together and BS there problems away and I know when I drink I chain smoke like no other so bars have lost there sizzle to me. I know someone said something like this it's all I have to keep my sanity in this crazy world.

Oregon is one of the brokest states and has a horrible economy already so this makes no sense they will lose even more money and judging from what I read they will probably go after medical marijuana along with nicotine and lose even more money from that which I'm an avid supporter of medical marijuana as it's just a plant and the way I see it all plants should be legal it bears seed and only relaxes it's users who are in pain and is a lot better than those highly addictive pain pills they prescribe these days and I've witnessed through friends the horrors pain pills can bring someone(for those that say marijuana is a drug I've never hallucinated from it and if you have so change your dealer they added something to it
as real marijuana is not suppose to do that it's an herb and a relaxant and the nay sayers that say it's a gateway drug well your weak and just have no self control to say no to something like heroin or meth and I have never done any drugs other than those prescribed to me but I know many won't agree with what I just said because the system has you believing a lie they want to be able to tax it and corporatize it but it being a seed bearing plant makes that impossible for corps to handle it for the average citizen can just grow it themselves and they don't like that so guess what it's illegal but medical is there way in to get those taxes but hey we know who's in charge of the coc aine and opium business as they have our soldiers protecting opium fields in afghanistan) this is just another way to incite anger towards the establishment so I guess put Oregon on the list for maybe another wisconsin. Our meth problem here is rediculous so these bills against smokers is non sense if they really cared about children they would be doing more to cure the evil of meth and protect the kids of meth users as that's way worse than cigs and weed I mean these people build these highly explosive labs that blow up where there children live. Just makes no sense what this world is coming to
I'm gonna step outside for a smoke while I still can

Edit: I'm relieved now after seeing it posted clarifying it won't be Illegal to those 18 and over, I almost had a panic attack there for a second

edit on 26-3-2011 by mosheh24 because: add on

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join