It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to arm Iraq to strengthen the security of the United States.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Here's a memo from the president saying the US should allow defense articles to be exported to Iraq to strengthen the security of the United States and promote world peace.

Whitehouse.gov:

Memorandum for the Secretary of State
Presidential Determination No. 2004-40

SUBJECT: Eligibility of Iraq to Receive Defense Articles and Services Under the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as Amended, and the Arms Export Control Act, as Amended

Pursuant to the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, including section 503(a) of the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as amended, and section 3(a)(1) of the Arms Export Control Act, as amended, I hereby find that the furnishing of defense articles and services to Iraq will strengthen the security of the United States and promote world peace.

You are authorized and directed to report this finding to the Congress and to publish it in the Federal Register.

GEORGE W. BUSH

Will it really strengthen the security of the US?
We don't know how Iraq is going to turn out yet.
It could still be taken over by insurgents and become a theocracy.
You can't really trust the police at this point as some of them have been fighting against the coalition.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It's official: The U.S. government does not learn from it's own mistakes.

We armed Iraq heavily in the 1980s to fight Iran, and look what ended up happening. Iraq nearly took over the entire Persian Gulf!

It's a rather basic rule: don't arm potential adversaries. That puts you in a situation where there is no margin for error, and you will eventually lose.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   

It's official: The U.S. government does not learn from it's own mistakes.

Amen to that, I guess US will arm Iraq so the radicals end up stealing the weapons and finish each other faster.

join