It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus crucifixion thorn goes on display

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
OP: Sorry, we kinda hijacked your thread with our discussion. I do apologize, but I thank you immensly for providing the thread which has opened up this great discussion.

Also, just to add, to the original conversation, I do not believe that the "thorn" is one of the original thorns, for a couple of reasons. One, many did not believe He (Jesus) was anything special, so what would be the purpose of saving any part of His cruxification. Two, God tells us in scripture that worshipping idols/relics is wrong and I personally think that He (God) wouldn't want things like that to survive so that His Son would be worshipped and not the item. I think this is also why the "ark of the covenant, noah's ark, His burial wrappings", although some have said they have been found, with any kind of certainty and 100% proof been found. God knows what kind of "people" we are and our obsession with objects and our idol worship of them. Just look at how we treat money lol. Certainly objects of this nature, His cross, crown of thorns, etc., would be treated in the same manner and take away from where our worship and focus should be, His Son. But I could get to Heaven and Jesus tell me I was wrong and that is one of the thorns, at which point I will say, "my bad, I was wrong" lol.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098
[more

I completely agree. I cannot debate the things of which I do not understand or have knowledge of. I spend most of my time studying scripture, early church history, and now recently Hebrew, and less time of the other faiths. So I am glad we are not debating lol. I would be at a loss with you, because I do not fully understand what you do when it comes to your beliefs/faith
I sorta felt like I just talked myself in a circle with that last statement lol. I hope it made sense. I can only comment on what I know and have studied and my beliefs. And when I say beliefs, I am speaking only doctrinally and theologically, because my belief in Christ will never change, but sometimes the doctrine, rituals (traditions), theology that I once held on to so tightly to have and/or will possibly change because I stopped taking everyone else's word for it and started studying for myself. 1 John 4:1 "Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world." NASB

I can only tell someone what I believe and why it makes sense to me that I believe this way and let God take care of the rest. And it's not always easy for Believers to express this as there are still so many unknowns (at least for me), so I am constantly working on the "why" and how to express it logically. And I am sure that I will never master it lol.
edit on 25-3-2011 by watchdog because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by watchdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

No worries guys!
Thats why we are here! to conspire and debate against the norm.
And I am in no position to question either of you!
Great read from you both!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I highly doubt it is one of the thorns form this crown... But none the less, it still has an awesome history behind it and was owned by some really big names in history.... So it is cool in it's own way.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I bought my Mother a crown of thorns about forty years ago, mounted on a plaque and red velvet. That thing had very sharp two inch spines that were very stiff and hurt a lot while penetrating my flesh as i was hanging the thing on her wall.

Seems like that crown of thorns was driven on the Christ' head with a wand, a reed or a stick depending on the bible you read. I would not want to experience that.....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

christ thorns are actually new nerves growing around the crown of the head... of those who are changing up to 2012.. and they can feel it ACUTELY..

... the plant thorn crown is purely symbolic.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

can you explain what you just said, please?

I dont understand what you are getting at?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

You are a blessing, and I hope one of a new wave of open-minded Christians who follow Christ without judging or condemning. If more Christians were like you, people wouldn't have that Knee jerk aversion that so many have for Christianity. I'm curious if you have ever taken a look at Tentmaker.org? If you are interested in the Bible in Hebrew and Koine Greek it is illuminating as to what the authors of the scriptures may have originally intended to teach.

Namaste

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
The glass tube looks to be just a rosary. The picture at the bottom of thorns, is not correct. The thorns use as a crown is from a specific plant grown in the area. It was called a crown of thorns, after the crucifixion. It has thick branches and blooms with flowers of white, red, pink and yellow.

www.britannica.com...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join