It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tip your local pizza driver.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
If his only wages are tips (doesn't that break minimum wage laws?) he should address that problem, rather than calling people lazy or rude. Fast food is expensive enough without the delivery person expecting more on top of it.

Why are we expected to tip in restaurants, taxis, and with fast food delivery? I've done minimum wage jobs where I barely got by, and we weren't allowed to accept tips, not that anyone tried to tip us.

If someone goes above and beyond, I'll tip them, but driving me from point A to point B, or delivering my chinese food, is their job, it's what they should do as a minimum. I'd be tipping for them not doing their job badly, not tipping for them doing it well.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

Originally posted by scottlpool2003
I think it's totally ignorant to expect a tip.

Tips are bonuses and bonuses are earned. To expect somebody who is already paying your wages to give you even more is just blatant greed.

Herein lies the problem. You think tips are bonuses. The bosses of the delivery people use the addition of tips as a reason to not have to pay minimum wage. That is their loophole.

I think things work differently over there than here in the UK.

Minimum wage here is £5.96 or something along those lines... A pizza from Domino's the other day cost me £25 which is roughly $48, why should I then tip? Also, over here quite often they don't keep their tips or are not allowed to take them.

I kinda went on a rant myself because of the post "MY BOYFRIEND" "NOT A SHOT AT A REAL JOB" "TOO LAZY TO GET YOUR OWN PIZZA"

1. Your boyfriend has a shot at a real job he just needs to get out and get it
2. Too lazy to get a pizza? Nope just too busy, pizza delivery services are there for people who want the pizza delivered, simple.
3. Your boyfriend is doing his job and is being paid for his job

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I usually tip the delivery boys/girls.
But this whole thread reminded me of this

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by scottlpool2003

$48 bucks for a pizza?! OMG...Did you get other things or just a pizza?

I ordered pizza, a sandwich and breadsticks and it was about $14 and it was from Dominos.

WOW that is a high priced pizza if that is all you got..

I know here between my tip and the $3 delivery fee I am charged for delivery I get annoyed with tipping esp when I have a budget that week to stick by but I still tip.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I always tip the pizza guy, mostly because the block I live in is a really high crime area and there is a pretty good chance of them getting their bikes stolen while delivering to it, so much so that a lot of places refuse to deliver to us at all

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Ok, simply put, most of the time with the pizza dude, I think five bucks should be given. I've never done delivery but I know about gas prices nowadays.
Simple calculation folks

Say, that driver has 8(more or less) hours of deliveries.

All the ads say around 30 minutes per order

so figure around 13 deliveries average (guessing from peoples blogs)

Now I know it costs me $5 an hour so assume the same since it is a half hour each way (I do security so I usually drive an hour out to the farther job sites. So it usually costs me $10 a trip)

So assume this
Average an hour is $8 from pizzhasmut. They just spent an hour driving. Minus gas thats $3 an hour.
You stiff them their tip, guess what they just earned, $3 for your delivery, wear and tear on their car, stress from traffic, etc. All for $3.

Ok, they should be tipped $5 at minimum in my opinion. That way hopefully they make a minimum wage by evening things out. Hell I tip them half the price of my purchase if more then $5 for the tip, just cause I know how stressful and idiotic roads, other customers, bosses, etc. could be.

Delivery is a job I would never want to do.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer
reply to post by NerdGoddess

Telling people they are LAZY ASSES is not a good way to promote tipping. We have pizza delivered all the time, yet we're not LAZY ASSES. *Delivery* is an offered service. People who partake of the *delivery service* are not necessarily LAZY ASSES. In fact, many pizza restaurants do not *charge* for delivery, yet offer a $2-$4 discount for people who pick-up/carry-out their orders. In other words, there IS a delivery charge, but it is hidden as a pick-up/carry-out "discount." Americans aren't stupid.

Further, again, calling people LAZY ASSES because they have pizza delivered is in bad form. I might have had sympathy for the situation, but since you insulted people who have people delivered as LAZY ASSES... well, no sympathy now. BTW, I do tip. However, it's insulting to be called a LAZY ASS because the pizza is delivered.

I highly recommend a change of profession if it is at all feasible.

I will continue to say that you are lazy if you order food. Im not saying your a bad person, im just saying at that particular moment you were being lazy. You can disagree with me all you want but I stand by my opinion. You could have gotten it yourself, but you were too lazy.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Amen, its like stealing from the employees.
Why should they charge a delivery fee if the driver doesnt get it.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by WJjeeper

(: yes i try to tip waitresses/delivery people atleast like 3-5 bucks. They deserve it.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by FrancoUn-American

Minimal work? they are DRIVING, bringing you your FOOD.
You would tip a waitress wouldnt you? and all they do is make your food and walk it out to you. A deliver person wastes their gas and DRIVES to you. TO YOU.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

that is a shame if they dont do what you asked on the ticket.
At domino's where my bf works people can request he show up in a dress, wear a funny hat, compliment the person who answers the door etc... he works hard for his money!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

holy #, quit ordering pizza over there, thats a ridiculous price. Come over here. hahah

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Ehh that`s their job and they get paid for it, they are not doing you a favour or something.

So in my opinion it`s actually extremely rude to expect a tip.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I used to tip until the appearance of the delivery charge. IMO that is now their tip. I still tip drivers for places offering free delivery.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Feel free to keep commenting on this thread, but for today I am done. Thankyou for all of your opinions, even those of you who dont side with my views. I appreciate hearing why you dont tip.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I don't believe in tipping. And I have actually delivered pizza and was a waitress at olive garden. So don't tell me they need my tips or i don't know what i'm talking about because i've never walked in their shoes, cause guess what, I have.

Here's the deal. When I order a meal at a restaurant or order pizza, all of the costs of doing business are included in the price I paid, especially the cost of labor. As far as I'm concerned, I paid for my meal already. If the server or driver feels they don't make enough money, they can take it up with their boss or go get a different job.

Now, if someone really, and i mean REALLY impressed me, then yeah, i may leave them something extra. But to just do it automatically because somehow it's become expected, that's just BS. If more people were like me, there would be much better quality service in food because everyone would have to work for that tip. Instead, they just give you lousy service, and then expect a tip because "that's what you do."

When I was 15, my stepmom, a waitress at the time told me she got paid 1/2 of minimum wage because tips were supposed to make up the other half. So she told me it was wrong to feel the way I do and people should always tip because of that. I told her to go demand at least minimum wage or quit her job. Think about it, the company sells overpriced food and are too cheep to pay the workers minimum wage so they came up with the whole tip scam to get the customer to pay twice, and people actually fall for that!!!!!

As far as i'm concerned, minimum wage should be minimum wage, no less. You shouldn't pay someone half that and say it equals out after tips when tips aren't even guaranteed. That means their wage isn't guaranteed and that was the whole reason for minimum wage in the first place. If this is actually a law, people should put their efforts into changing it instead of complaining about people like me who refuse to tip.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm a great tipper........just bring change. I'm not going to give a driver $7 for delivering a pizza.

On a side note, I saw a good restaurant go out of business, and I know it was because of their delivery drivers who were always running the "no change" scam, and eventually people stopped doing business with them. These idiot high school kids thought they were getting over on the world. Like nobody had thought of that before them.:shk:

Peace

edit on 25-3-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

edit on 25-3-2011 by WJjeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'm a great tipper........just bring change. I'm not going to give a driver $7 for delivering a pizza.

On a side note, I saw a good restaurant go out of business, and I know it was because of their delivery drivers who were always running the "no change" scam, and eventually people stopped doing business with them. These idiot high school kids thought they were getting over on the world. Like nobody had thought of that before them.:shk:

Peace

edit on 25-3-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

Oh thats just so disrespectful, and an insult on the customers intelligence. I have no respect for people who do that # (no change scam) thats stealing!
edit on 3/25/2011 by NerdGoddess because: i said i was done for the day (: i lied. Im on for another couple of hours. Please keep posting your opinions!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm a server, is it "totally ignorant" for me to expect a tip? I make $2.83 per hour. Im sure the delivery drivers around my house make minimum wage, not very much money at all once you subtract the extream gas price.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join