It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Tsunami Dolphin' Rescued After Being Stranded In Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Huffington Post

TOKYO — A baby dolphin has been rescued in Japan after being dumped in a rice field by a giant tsunami that hit the coast on March 11.

The dolphin was spotted in the flooded field, about 2 km (a mile) from the coast, said Ryo Taira, a pet-shop owner who has been rescuing animals abandoned after the 9.0 magnitude quake and tsunami left 23,000 people dead or missing.

"A man passing by said he had found the dolphin in the rice paddy and that we had to do something to save it," the 32-year-old Taira told Reuters.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afb689ce90cf.jpg[/atsimg]

With so much bad news coming from Japan in the past few weeks, its really hard to find an uplifting story from the area. Well I found one of them and thought I would post it here.

Here is a baby dolphin that was washed onto land by the tsunami and a pet shop owner searching for surviving pets found it barely alive. I understand they released the dolphin back into the wild but why didn't they check it out to make sure it was healthy enough to be released? That is the only problem I had with this story. Other than that, I am glad people like him are around helping the animals that were also victims of this tragedy. I'm glad there is some good news coming from Japan rather than all this doom and gloom.
edit on 3/25/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
100:1 odds of survival there. Not good news.

Thanks for the story...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Poor lil fella. Hopefully he's not too traumatized over it.

That pic reminds me of something I read/heard awhile back. I might of heard it on "The Cove" but not sure. Sorry, not trying to darken this uplifting story, but they said that the dolphin 'permanent smile' is very misleading. This little guy appears to be smiling, but I'm sure at the moment of that pic, he wasn't too happy. Hopefully he is now though. I'm sure he's being treated good now.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Yea the dolphins face is a bit deceptive. the little fella was probably starving and on the brink of death.

I don't think we will know if he is treated well or not... they released him/her into the Pacific.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Nice to see this considering they are usually doing this.....WARNING GRAPHIC

edit on 25-3-2011 by CaptSplatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Apparently I missed that part that said they drove him back to the sea.
For some strange reason I assumed they took him to some sort of animal facility. Not sure why I thought that (wasn't thinking). They have enough things over there to worry about at the moment.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

That is a good point. they did the best they could and got the dolphin pup back into the wild. If there wasn't so much going on there right now, i would also assume that they would of taken it in to get some kind of treatment, or nurse it back to health.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
ooo so heart warming so grand .
what a bunch of dups .
my god man dont you relize without its mother this animal will be dead in a week?
Its a mamal and as such needs its mother for the first 9 months minum to nurse as at its age it cant eat fish yet.
there is no heart warming story here only tragidy ,

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
ooo so heart warming so grand .
what a bunch of dups .
my god man dont you relize without its mother this animal will be dead in a week?
Its a mamal and as such needs its mother for the first 9 months minum to nurse as at its age it cant eat fish yet.
there is no heart warming story here only tragidy ,

What is a "dup?"
Is that some sort of a putdown?
Would that be the same as if you were to have said, "What a bunch of dups who don't know how to use spell-check, so they misspell words like; realize, mammal, minimum, and tragedy??"
I am just trying to assure that I understand the correct meaning of the term.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier my god man dont you relize without its mother this animal will be dead in a week?

As the rescuer says in the original news article, dying out at sea in its natural habitat is still better than dying in a muddy field.

top topics

join