It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$300 dollar round takes out M1A2

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptSplatter
I don't know a ton about tanks or armor but I do know the US has been using this type of reactive armor for some time now. I understand it looks bad on the video but lets be honest the OP doesn't know the battle status of this tank after the rocket hit.

Great video Capt Splatter - exactly the reason I think that just because the tank looks damaged is not a good reason to label it dead.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 25-3-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I suppose it could have gimped back to base, but what the OP is trying to say is; whether running or not, it won't be doing it's job anymore. I have to agree. Anyone see the steam shooting out of the side? I'm no mechanic, but that can't be good for the engine.
edit on 3/25/2011 by goochball because: Spelling/grammar, I'm tired

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Originally posted by byteshertz

Originally posted by CaptSplatter
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I saw a rocket hit a tank but nothing close to taking it out. It is still there.

When you shoot someone in the head, they are still their, yet they wont be alive. This tank just got killed.

PROVE IT

Are you saying a 50 cal head shot wont kill someone and they will be able to walk around fine? Are you saying that this tank is perfectly capable of providing infantry support?

Im going to ignore the first part because I am talking about the tank.

I am saying show me some proof that this tank is now incapable of:
A) Killing a target
B) Getting it's occupants to safety

Either of these to me would suggest the tank has done it's job - but you are saying the tank is dead and this RPG has won the battle - I am simply wondering how you can draw this conclusion without more evidence.

A - Its main gun looks out of commision, only the 50 cal may work
B - It might get its occupants to safety if the engine isnt destroyed, or leaking.

Basically it comes down to, the main turret is out of commission, rendering the tank useless for its original mission

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3a734ca0fe8.jpg[/atsimg]

That is where it hit, right on the top of the middle side amor panel that covers the track. All of the side panels are on hinges that allow the skirts to open up horizontaly like a door. I wasn't a tanker. I was a minitanker in an M2 Bradley (the real deathtrap, but I loved it anyway) and I envied the armor of those M1's. I would sit in that tank and take a shot like that anyday than in any other vehicle. If the crew got messed up, it was because of compression and viscosity issues rather than any penetration. I seriously doubt there was any pentration to crew compartments, but the plasma jet looks like it could have cut right thru the track.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptSplatter

I thought we were talking about a metal tank, not flesh and blood. In the case of a human being shot in the head in most cases and I said MOST, yes the person dies. But even then not everyone shot in the head dies.... Case in point just in case you need some proof of this....

So you admit that most people with a head shot die. Well this tank is a finely tuned machine and a good and hard hit to it like what just happened rendered it mission incapable. It will now block supply routes. What if that tank was coming in to provide support..now its not their because it has to be towed for repairs.

link   
Wait, so is this actually an American armed forces tank getting shot by an RPG?. I thought we had ceramic armor, missile countermeasures, reactive armor, depleted uranium armor or whatever and the metal grating or whatever that is supposed to break up the projectiles aimed at the tank. I don't know, I just find it hard to believe that an RPG can take out out an Abrams.

I do know that the largest RPG (650 or 750 mm) can do some heavy damage to an abrams, especially from behind. I just find it hard to believe that it can actually incapacitate a modern American abrams with all the add ons that they have invested in them. We spend a fortune on this crap....its disappointing to see it destroyed so easily.

link   

Did you personally work on the tank in question? If not how do you know or assume the status of the tank. I don't know how you were able to ascertain all this info from the video posted unless you worked on that exact tank after the rocket hit it.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
After reviewing the video several times, at the very end you can tell the turret is still fine. Pause right at the end. There's a lot of smoke in the way but just before the video cuts out you can clearly see the turret rotating towards the position of the shooter. It also appears that the rpg round may have blackened the turret but that could also be shadows from the angle of the cameraman, which I might add is something else that looks weird. In the begining of the vid you see the shooter with the cameraman directly behind him. But when the tank is hit that camera doesn't line up right. Don't know if that footage was cropped in there or possibly there were multiple cameramen.

M1A2 is specifically built to absorb rpg's. Not only the armor but also the built in shock absorbers. You can go to any tank forum and read plenty of stories from soldiers who had their tanks hit by rpg rounds and barely took any damage at all. Soldiers who fought in both Iraq wars. One tank commander stated that at the begining of the 2003 war it was "common" for a M1A2 to be hit with up to 10 rpgs at a time and easily survive with tank intact.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
OK for the sake of argument lets say that the turret is fine, nothing happened. What if they pop off one more shot. There was a story of a challenger hit by 70 cheap RPG rounds. Are you saying 2-3 of these rounds is gonna keep this tank fine..

Mind you this is an RPG-29 round, not the older RPG-7 round
edit on 25-3-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

OK for the sake of argument lets say that the turret is fine, nothing happened. What if they pop off one more shot. There was a story of a challenger hit by 70 cheap RPG rounds. Are you saying 2-3 of these rounds is gonna keep this tank fine..

Don't forget that the guys usually shooting these RPG's or AK rounds at us couldnt hit the broad side of a barn because they are so doped up on opiates or God knows what. I'm not gonna lie, getting hit by a crap load of rounds will mess anybody's day up....if they can make them count. Otherwise the armor is gonna absorb alot of the indirect hits.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

The RPG-29 with a direct shot into the rear of the tank, hitting the engine or ammo compartment would hurt the ol' girl. But still wouldn't be enough to retire her unless the got a good fire going or got really really lucky with the shot. I'm talking about one of those "wish me luck, cross my fingers, close my eyes, not in a million years again" shots. But even that wouldn't be a crew kill.

edit on 25-3-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Hell this person gets hit with a RPG and survives. Believe me that tank didn't feel a thing.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

So was the person who got hit not in a coma or was firing back and providing their mission? Were they able to be a good soldier? Plus what kind of RPG was it? It was most likely the old RPG-7, not the newer one in this video.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I'm not saying she went on fighting I was only suggestion if a human can survive a RPG I'm sure a tank can. I am by no means an expert in this field but I did just watch a human survive a direct hit and they are by no means as tough as a tank.

Did I mention I stayed at a Holiday Inn as well.....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Haha, funny. Well that is the point I am trying to make. The main purpose of the tank's in iraq right now is to provide infantry support. They are not battling other tanks. Sure it feels good to sit on a tank like that but its a big target for an RPG.

The way I see it is that if your tank is stuck defending itself and now rendered useless, the troops that require the support are no longer protected.

I guess I think differently when it comes to war.

Oh BTW if you play BF2, their are certain maps which tanks wreak havoc, other maps I can single seat the heli and TV missle any and all tanks..including infantry...yea I am that good hehe. I have TV missiled numerous planes from my heli

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Yes it may be reactive armor but the RPG-29 is is designed with a TANDEM warhead. What that means it explodes in two sections. First section destroys the reactive armor then the second warhead takes out the main armor.

If you look closely it hit the turret pretty hard and it is now useless. The only thing that may work on it is the 50 caliber. Other than that I see smoke coming out (fuel fire? etc..), the main turret is useless. This tank is out of commission for this mission.

I agree with you, that tank is toast

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I was training to be a Tanker at Fort Knox until a back injury got me sent home(yes it was legit). But in the motor pool our Tank Commander was telling us that the skirts were made of reactive armor that explodes outward when hit with a projectile. And that if a tank is rendered inoperable in battle, it must be destroyed. This means that another Abrams would have to come along and blow the hell out of it. Not too many things out there can destroy an Abrams and I doubt an RPG could destroy a tank. My guess is that it will be hauled off and repaired, if not it will be blown to bits by us.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Now this is what I call a tank destroyer. An aircraft from the 70's and IMO still the most effective air to ground platform we have....enjoy!!!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

well here is what a rpg can do fro the boys that been there done that and answer your questions www.strategypage.com... so is the tank KIA??? we do not know, the turret did not blow and the main gun is still there as well as the 50 and here is the specks like hitting an armor car with a 22 no effect, just flash www.fprado.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join