It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$300 dollar round takes out M1A2

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by mad scientist

Doesn't matter. There is no reactive armor in that section meaning that the RPG-29 had a much easier chance of penetrating.

And what........? The RPG doesn't have the penetration to punch through the turret. In fact the turret of the M1 is rated at 1600mm of RHA. So you're wrong but you've known that for some time

The discussion kind of ended about a week ago where you assertion were overwhelmingly proven wrong. You can keep writing the same things over and over again, but it doesn't change anything.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

lol i don't think they'll be reparing that, salvage it for its metal is more likely

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I am still right about the abrams. THe side bins are blown out and most likely the NBC system as well. The tank is therefore rendered mission incapable. There is no reactive armor on that side meaning it is easier for the RPG-29 round to do damage.

The tank is only screwed if he's in an NBC environment. Iraq isn't one. If his NBC system is damaged, big deal. Unless it's venting inside the tank or some such.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

The T72's in Iraq weren't the high quality T72 that the Russians had; they were downgraded and didnt even have night optics etc.

T72 is a piece of crap. It has a nice habit of loading the power first, then the round. That's interesting to see, but better be quick.

Also, the fuel line is routed around the turrent. Kinetic energy from a hit would pop off the turret.

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL , that tank wasnt in any form of the fashion "Taken out" however , it would be taken off the front lines. Its the cooling system i cant remember what they call it. But its ment to VENT OUTSIDE of the tank in case its damaged.

Also thats not a M1A2 , doesnt have the reactive armor Its a M1A1. Which is # compared to the M1A2. A2 has air conditioning

Also the only RPG that is going to do damage to a M1A1 (Kill the crew is what i mean by damage) is at least TWO 7VR rounds. An RPG 29 is #.

edit on 04/30/2011 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I saw a rocket hit a tank but nothing close to taking it out.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
An RPG is not going to destroy an M1A2 if the armor is not severely degraded. M1A2 Abrams all have chobham armor. en.wikipedia.org... They may even have reactive armor which is explosive initself and would render the rpg useless. I would also like to point out that RPG's are meant to pierce the armor with a liquid jet of metal and just just make a huge explosion.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by wells
I saw a rocket hit a tank but nothing close to taking it out.

=Obviously you missed the discussion. The NBC and side bins got taken out. A few more well placed RPGs could immobilize it.

posted on Apr, 25 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Like he said - the tank was not "taken out" by hte evidence of the video!! sheesh!!

Every mobile tank is at is at the stage where "a few more RPG's could immobilise it" - right from the factory until it is actually immobilised fby something.

It's a bit of a non-sequiter!!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Ten RPG-29 rounds would cost 3000 dollars and take out the tracks and immobilize the 5 million dollar tank and the 45 dollar soldiers inside.

This is how the tactic would be: aim all rpgs at the vulnerable parts and disable the engine and the main gun. Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Now i could be wrong but from what my understanding of an abrams a rpg wouldnt penetrate its armor. It would be much more efficent to take out its tracks. If you hit the radiatior you may bone the engine also but still not endanger the crew. I round to the barrel would prevent it from firing.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Ten RPG-29 rounds would cost 3000 dollars and take out the tracks and immobilize the 5 million dollar tank and the 45 dollar soldiers inside.

This is how the tactic would be: aim all rpgs at the vulnerable parts and disable the engine and the main gun. Problem solved.

Because of course a tank crew is just going to sit there still and absorb RPG hits one after another, in order to give people a chance to kill it...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

The turret doesn't look blown off.. but it's impossible to be certain if the weapon shown is what hit the tank.

I mean I wouldn't doubt it was or was something very similar, but still no real way to tell.

EDIT: You don't have to reply, I didn't realize the thread had gone on as long as it had. Got all the answers I need.
edit on 1-7-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
LOL !, if you people think that Abrams are indestructible think again guys , their were many Abrams destroyed in Iraq new war :
150 tanks were damaged in battle (and later repaired on field and on the plant)
15 tanks were destroyed
among them 3 were completely destroyed by ATGM hits.
but these are just non-confirmed numbers , but i think the photos below from Iraq are indisputable :
media.moddb.com...
media.moddb.com...
lh5.ggpht.com...
newwars.files.wordpress.com...
cdn.wn.com...
upload.wikimedia.org...

as you can see all image show Abrams with Iraqi environment in the backgroud.

their is no perfect system, and even thought that most of these images show Abrams destroyed by IED that still big hit for cheap IED

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

The armor looks intact to me!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
sneak into the ammo and fuel dumps with silenced rifle, kill a few sentries with same, blow up all the good stuff, tanks screech to a halt anyway. No need of direct engagement at all. Go to host country of enemy, set fire to all his forests and grainfields, poison enough of his food supply with syringes at the supermarket, that the Tylenol effect takes place, everyone is afraid to eat any food not in a metal can. NO economy means no support for troops in other countries.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   

In one encounter within the urban area a Challenger 2 came under attack from irregular forces with machine guns and rocket propelled grenades. The driver's sight was damaged and while attempting to back away under the commander's directions, the other sights were damaged and the tank threw its tracks entering a ditch. It was hit directly by fourteen rocket propelled grenades from close range and a MILAN anti-tank missile.[11] The crew survived remaining safe within the tank until the tank was recovered for repairs, the worst damage being to the sighting system. It was back in operation six hours later after repairs. One Challenger 2 operating near Basra survived being hit by 70 RPGs in another incident.[12]

Taken from the wikipedia article on the Challenger 2 tank used by the British Army. I'm pretty sure that the Abrams survived that little encounter with nothing more than some scorch marks.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
if the insurgents hang in there a few more years, they will WIN, because we can't just keep on wasting billions and billions of $, for ZERO return. It worked in Nam and it will work in the MidEast, too. They have plenty of worthless lives to trade for million $ losses by the US for each insurgent killed.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by single
sneak into the ammo and fuel dumps with silenced rifle, kill a few sentries with same, blow up all the good stuff, tanks screech to a halt anyway. No need of direct engagement at all. Go to host country of enemy, set fire to all his forests and grainfields, poison enough of his food supply with syringes at the supermarket, that the Tylenol effect takes place, everyone is afraid to eat any food not in a metal can. NO economy means no support for troops in other countries.

Lemme guess; your combat experience is from COD, isn't it?

Sneaking into a supply dump is easier said than done. They aren't set up in the middle of nowhere
like your freakin' video game.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkers

What kind of RPGs hit it. This video is not an RPG-7, it is much more advanced than that. and 70 RPG-29 hits on a challenger would certainly be catastrophic.

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join