It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion-based communities for survival, the end times, or just to live a Godly life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has positive experiences with faith-based communities preparing for the End Times, TSHTF, or just withdrawing from the corruptions of this fallen world.

Many times people in history have tried to create religious communities, and truth be told, the record isn't encouraging. From corrupt monks in the middle ages to cult abuse in the 70s, it seems like most time people try this, they are setting themselves up for failure. But I believe there must be successful examples in history, too, and maybe even in our own times.

Seems to me a disciplined community dedicated to survivalism and rooted in strong faith would be a power to be reckoned with indeed. Why don't we see more of this?
edit on 3/25/2011 by Tarnished Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
We don't see more of them because they usually end in a gun-fights with the government, or broken-up by the government for child abuse. I haven't come across too many wholesome ones, but I wish you good luck with your search though.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Because they're usually some twist to the "faith" aspect, like "I, your leader, am the second coming of Christ".

You know, little things like that.

I DO think small communities of like-minded individuals will be/are currently necessary, but I think that like-mindedness should be based on common goals for survival, not for hoping for some sort of deus ex machina to ultimately take everyone away.
edit on 25-3-2011 by notsofunnyguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by notsofunnyguy

Lol....amen!

If TSHTF, I think I'll just try to die as gracefully as one can. My husband loves shows like 'Man v's Wild' and is always asking me if I could do this or if I could eat that - and I'm like, "I would rather eat dirt or the bark off of a tree or NOT EAT AT all.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I have read a lot into the Ananda communities, they seem genuine, and I have been very tempted to do a yoga retreat there. They have been around since 1968

The Ananda community is situated on 900 acres of meadows and forests amidst the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in northern California. Today, 250 people reside here, including adults and children of all ages.

They are not really centered in survival so to speak, though their original teacher, Paramhansa Yogananda warned that natural cataclysm and political strife were looming over humanity, he gave no timeframe though.

new topics

top topics

join