It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

16 Famous People Who Believe(d) In Aliens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It's not just us cuckoo's. I need no convincing myself.

Most I have heard before but a few new ones in there as well.

I really liked the Nixon/Gleason story. It pays to have powerful friends.

My favorite is Jagger's "ufo detector".

16. Stephen Hawking

The smartest dude on Earth right now was not abducted or claimed to have seen UFOs. He’s on the list because he actually believes in the existence of aliens, making one of the few scientists that have publicly done so.

15. Miyuki Hatoyama

wife of Japan’s Prime Minster Yukio Hatoyama, claimed to have not only been abducted by aliens, but has also been to Venus

14. Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

governor of the Buddhist republic of Kalmykia in Russia and president of the World Chess Federation, claimed that he was abducted from his Moscow apartment in 1997

13. Dan Aykroyd

Aykroyd has been an avid believer in aliens for years. He’s a member of the UFO research group MUFON

12. John Lennon

While on top of the roof of Lennon’s penthouse in Manhattan in 1974, the former Beatles and his girlfriend May Pang, saw a flying saucer at a very close range.

Besides witnessing a UFO, Lennon was visited by aliens and given an egg-shaped object weeks before his death.

11. David Bowie

It’s been said that Bowie witnessed numerous flying saucers as a kid. He even said that he visited a UFO repair shop in Missouri.

10. Gordon Cooper

Gordon Cooper was an astronaut that made two trips into space on the Mercury 9 in 1963 and Gemini 5 in 1965, but his belief in UFOs go as back as 1951 when he spotted them while flying a F-68 jet over Germany.

9. Jackie Gleason and Richard Nixon

Jackie Gleason was fascinated by the topic and it’s been said that his buddy Richard Nixon helped confirm the existence of aliens. The story, as told by Gleason’s second wife Beverly, is that after Gleason and Nixon played some golf, the President took Gleason to Homestead Air Force Base where he saw dead extra-terrestrials.

8. Mick Jagger

The Rolling Stones’ front-man has claimed to have seen at least two UFOs in his life. The first while camping in Glastonbury and the other during the Stones’ infamous 1969 Altamont concert in California. Author Michael Luckman even claims that Jagger had a UFO detector installed in his home but only went off when Jagger wasn’t present.

7. Muhammad Ali

The Greatest has stated that he’s witnessed 16 UFOs during his lifetime. Ali has also said that “If you look into the sky in the early morning you see them playing tag between the stars.”

6. Jimmy Carter

Former President Jimmy Carter claimed that he had seen a UFO in his home state of Georgia while Governor.

5. Walter Cronkite

Cronkite’s experience came in the 1950′s, when a small group of reporters were invited to an island in the Pacific to observe the Air Force’s new missile. As the missile launched, a disc-shaped object hovered in the sky and fired a blue beam that hit the missile and a security guard and his dog, which froze them all in place. A while later a colonel explained to the group that they had just been part of a project to test people’s reactions to UFOs, since new technology can be shocking and that’s why there had been all those UFO reports.

4. Sammy Hagar

Recently, while plugging his new memoir, the former Van Hagar singer stated that he had been abducted by aliens. Here’s what he said about his experience: “It was a download situation. This was long before computers or any kind of wireless. There weren’t even wireless telephones. Looking back now, it was like, ‘F**k, they downloaded something into me!’ Or they uploaded something from my brain, like an experiment. ‘See what this guy knows.’”

3. William Shatner

According to Dennis William Hauck, who wrote Shatner’s unauthorized and critical biography called Captain Quirk, Shatner was abducted to teach him a lesson. It turns out that Shatner was unpleasant, arrogant and disliked by many of his Star Trek cast-mates. While riding a motorcycle through the Mojave desert, he got separated with his friends and his bike broke down. Shatner walked for miles in an attempt to find a gas station, but when he found one, there was a flying saucer hovering above it. Things get blurry, but Hauck believes Shatner was taken aboard and became a better person after the encounter.

2. Ronald Reagan

While Governor of California, Ronald Reagan claimed to have seen a UFO on two separate occasions

1. Elvis Presley

The King seemed to always have UFOs around him during his lifetime. Strange lights were seen in the sky when Elvis Presley was born and continued to do so throughout his life, he was even said to have been visited by space travelers when he was eight, who gave the boy a glimpse of his future, which oddly enough included his white jumpsuit. It’s even believed that there was a UFO hovering over the mourners at Graceland when he was buried. Some have gone as far to hypothesize that Elvis was an alien himself and was actually looking down on the mourners.

Source Article
edit on 24-3-2011 by timewalker because: for coco puffs

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I love the high ranking politicians and astronauts because maybe they are privy to something I am not, maybe they can back up their belief.

Actors and musicians however are no different than myself so I find their opinion far less impressive.

Why is Elvis number one when there are 3 US presidents on the list?
edit on 24-3-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
because elvis was an alien who visited earth to get as much putang as humanly possible, or in his case extra-terrestrially possible.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Why does being 'famous' qualify them as any more credible than a guy who lays bricks for a living?
It's interesting in a way to see who believes in Aliens and UFO's but I do hate the implied idea that being famous qualifies as more believable.
They're only human....the celebrities I mean, not the aliens.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Not sure if it is a ranking number?

They always said that Elvis has been spotted after his death. if HE was an alien, that would make him #1 in my eyes.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by keepithush

Tell that to my grandmother. No offense.

If I said it, nonsense.

If Elvis said it, gospel

2nd

edit on 24-3-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth
I love the high ranking politicians and astronauts because maybe they are privy to something I am not, maybe they can back up their belief.

Actors and musicians however are no different than myself so I find their opinion far less impressive.

Why is Elvis number one when there are 3 US presidents on the list?
edit on 24-3-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

I didn't look at the original article but I'm guessing Elvis was number one since he is easily the most recognizable celebrity on the list. Not sure I would ever believe anything that comes out of any Politicians mouth since their careers are generally built on lies and betrayal. Prior elect personal experiences aside considering how transitory the position of president is how much could they really be allowed to know ? They are certainly a huge security risk to any long term secrets.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Didn't somebody actually investigate the Carter story? What did they find?

Maybe, like the OP, it's better to pretend the case was never investigated, it might ruin its use for propaganda purposes.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Not as famous, but perhaps more credible. Joe Fimage - CEO Quits Job Over UFO Views

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
And has that Gordon Cooper story from 1951 ever really been checked out regarding any other witnesses or records?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
And has that Gordon Cooper story from 1951 ever really been checked out regarding any other witnesses or records?

Regardless, he still believed and that's the point of the thread..

But then what would I expect, you are a Never A Straight Answer PR guy...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Steven Spielburg, oscar winning movie director of alien related movies and tv series, like ET, Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Taken

Robbie Williams, one of the worlds top pop stars (although not widely known in US, is huge EVERYWHERE else) is also a huge believer.

The former NASA astronaut Edgar Mitchell has claimed that aliens exist and their visits are being covered up by the United States government. Mitchell is in good company in his beliefs. Here we highlight 12 other public figures who believe that extraterrestrials may have been visiting our planet over the last 100 years.

General Douglas MacArthur, the Korean and Second World War soldier, said in 1955 that "the next war will be an interplanetary war. The nations of the earth must someday make a common front against attack by people from other planets. The politics of the future will be cosmic, or interplanetary".

J Edgar Hoover, head of the FBI from its inception in 1935 to 1972, said of a famous incident when flying saucers were allegedly fired at over Los Angeles in 1942: "We must insist upon full access to disks recovered. For instance, in the LA case the Army grabbed it and would not let us have it for cursory examination."

Monsignor Corrado Balducci, a Vatican theologian, said: "Extraterrestrial contact is a real phenomenon. The Vatican is receiving much information about extraterrestrials and their contacts with humans from its embassies in various countries, such as Mexico, Chile and Venezuela."

Dr. Herman Oberth, a Nazi rocket engineer who was taken to the US after the war and became one of the fathers of modern spaceflight, said: "It is my thesis that flying saucers are real and that they are spaceships from another solar system.There is no doubt in my mind that these objects are interplanetary craft of some sort. I and my colleagues are confident that they do not originate in our solar system."

Dr J Allen Hynek, director of the US Air Force's Project Blue Book investigation into UFOs, said: "When the long-awaited solution to the UFO problem comes, I believe that it will prove to be not merely the next small step in the march of science, but a mighty and totally unexpected quantum leap... we had a job to do, whether right or wrong, to keep the public from getting excited."

Air Chief Marshal Lord Dowding, commander of RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain: "I am convinced that these objects do exist and that they are not manufactured by any nations on earth."

Mikhail Gorbachev, the USSR's last head of state: "The phenomenon of UFOs does exist, and it must be treated seriously."

Richard Nixon, US President from 1969 to 1974: "I'm not at liberty to discuss the government's knowledge of extraterrestrial UFO's at this time. I am still personally being briefed on the subject."

Dr. Walther Riedel, research director at the Nazi rocket research establishement at Peenemunde: "I am completely convinced that UFOs have an out-of-world basis."

edit on 25/3/11 by Hongkongphooey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Regardless, he still believed and that's the point of the thread..

But then what would I expect, you are a Never A Straight Answer PR guy...

Something we finally agree on
Obviously, the paycheques James Oberg receives from NASA have no bearing on his full time occupation as a 'debunker' even to go as far as cast doubt on the experiences belated by several former NASA empoyees!

Hey Jim, have you ever found a UFO case you could not explain?????

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Could anyone point me in the right direction to more info about the Jackie Gleason and Richard Nixon case please?

Interesting thread.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scope and a Beam
Could anyone point me in the right direction to more info about the Jackie Gleason and Richard Nixon case please?

Interesting thread.

Some info on Jackie Gleason's interest in UFO's for you .
www.members.tripod.com...

UFO and The White House Richard Nixon

edit on 25-3-2011 by gortex because: To add vid

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
It's not just us cuckoo's.

Thanks for posting that link to that article.

There are a few problems with the list in that, e.g. it includes at least one admitted hoax (which I don't think has been acknowledged in any UFO book yet), some people that believe in UFOs but don't have any more evidence to support their beliefs than members of the general public, and at least a few people that don't actually believe that UFOs are actually alien visitors.

But in relation to your main point that "it's not just us cuckoo's", you may be interested in a thread that I started here about 5 years ago, "Only idiots believe in UFOs" - which includes some relevant remarks by Philip J Klass and others.

All the best,

Isaac
edit on 25-3-2011 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Didn't somebody actually investigate the Carter story? What did they find?

Maybe, like the OP, it's better to pretend the case was never investigated, it might ruin its use for propaganda purposes.

Oh lighten up. You got me, I am trying to deceive everyone.

How much does being a stick in the mud pay? I am interested. I can be a real jerk but choose to be respectful.

I bet you are having a tough time with E. Mitchell and Buzz. Loose cannons.

Let me ask you this JimO, I assume that you believe in ET. I have seen some of your work, not all negative. Have you ever witnessed a UFO yourself?

I have. After that encounter I don't dismiss everything I read. If there is one, there is surely more. I saw mine in Channelview. Do you know where that is? Real close to you.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the Skeptics. It brings balance.
edit on 25-3-2011 by timewalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Buzz Aldrin has never stated we are being visted by ET in spaceships.

can you describe what you saw in your ufo incident? not all ufos reports describe the same thing. I too have seen a "ufo" but dont jump to the conclusion it was an alien spaceship.
edit on 25-3-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Robbie Williams? He is also rumoured to be a member here on ATS!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker
I bet you are having a tough time with E. Mitchell and Buzz. Loose cannons.

I'll take that bet. What are the stakes, who holds them, and how do we judge who won?

The entire thrust of the thread is that it's important what 'famous people' think about UFOs, whether they are accurate or not, so their groupies know how to believe, too, to feel 'connected' to famous people and thus elevated above their drab home surroundings. It's why many people dress like the famous, speak like the famous, parrot the same political opinions as the famous -- it's an old, old social pattern.

Meanwhile, the real 'UFO mystery' continues -- finding the cases that do suggest anomalous stimuli, developing eyewitnessing and memory skills to enhance the usefulness of testimony [progress in 60 yeats, not so much, sad to say]. Taking the phenomenon seriously and making use of it for progress.

I seem to have lost charge number and address to file my debunking invoices. Anybody come up with a working technique for getting paid for this, let me know and there's a 10% finder' fee.

I have no problem with the existence of reports that have no known prosaic explanations, considering how amateurish and superficial most private research is, how some groups seem to like it that the public misidentifies aerial apparitions ['opportunistic camouflage'], how on occasion [for reasons of glee, money, spite, or just boredom] some spectacular pranks and hoaxes succeed, and how so many people gain so much satisfaction through quasi-religious belief in the legeds of heroes and villains.

As for me, aside from teasing and taunting with probing questions, I want to filter through the noise and define any recognizable signals. I've done groundbreaking research on a number of categories of reports. True believers hate this, and me, because of it. That's an interesting angle to the social phenomenon, too.

Watch the skies!

Carter's case has been investigated.

So has Cooper's.

Keep your eyes and minds closed if it makes you feel 'knowledgeable'. But it's cheating, IMHO.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join