It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Applying the lessons of Japan to a SHTF scenario elsewhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
OK, so what can we learn from the Japan situation, applied to how people react and respond and deal with a SHTF scenario anywhere else? Because this is pretty close to a SHTF scenario.

I will sketch a few things that come to mind. Please add more or what have you. Most of my ideas are kind of abstract but if you want to talk about concrete specifics, go ahead.

1) The power of soft power: a lot of peple have commented on the politeness and orderliness and stocism of the Japanese in the face of this. That may be part of their national characteristics, I don't know for sure, but I suppose we can't count on it elsewhere. But this does bring to the fore an interesting point: cultural factors will have a big impact on how things go down. So, know your culture, know the people you will be dealing with, try to figure out how they might react. This seems like touchy-feely "soft" stuff (i.e., not nuts-and-bolts like hardware, etc.) but its very important.

2) "Everything's OK": The way people and the media respond. The people of Japan seem to be in denial. It's always easier to slink back into "normlacy" and pretend everything is OK. If people get any opportunity to cling to this illusion, even as the buildings are tumbling, they will. Factor the various implications of this into your plans.

3) "Everything is getting back to normal:" Very similar to the above; even when people can no longer deny something their face is being rubbed in, they will resort to: "Well, I guess there really is a problem, but I am sure it will be fixed soon"

4) Keep your eyes on food and transport: This is probably common sense to most ATS survival types, but consider the flow of food and traffic, especially in urban or crowded spaces.

What else?

edit on 24-3-2011 by Tarnished Templar because: (no reason given)

new topics

join