It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chilling video released by USGS on California ARK Super Storm!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

I know the reports on the "Ark Storm" started coming out in January, but this was the first time I had seen a video like this released by the USGS.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
reply to post by raiders247

We had that storm around christmas last year. Not that bad all things considered.

The storm that came last Christmas wasn't the Ark Storm. In January 2011, reports started coming from scientists warning that a future storm of this magnitude is possible, and more likely overdue. I haven't seen any reports that we have had an Ark storm since 1862. Please post a link if I'm wrong on this...
edit on 24-3-2011 by raiders247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Didn't those leaked emails prove that climate change was made up?

I'm not buying the climate change story......... but I will buy they're having a lot of nasty weather....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Idk if chilling's the word I would use, I kind of laughed a little at the production values

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Our state has been in a drought for awhile, we need the rain finaly, hope it's not radio active "rain out" what is odd it the timing of this rain storm, like someone flipped a switch...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I am double posting this to this tread as well.

My concern.... Where does all that water go during and after the rain? My guess is that a whole lot of it would seep down into the aquifer.

Would it then be possible for it to seep further and lubricate the San Andreas and the other CA faults?

Would it be enough to cause a massive slip of the plates?

Don't really think this will happen, but the scenario intrigues me.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

The thought I had was that all that water weight might be enough to trigger it, along with the slippage aspect of the lubrication from water.

Just something that came to mind when I saw this video last night.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Hadn't though of the weight factor. That can work for or against the slipping, couldn't it?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Here in Tahoe, we got over 3 feet at Lake Level in the last 36 hours..new storm coming this afternoon.

Up top they have over FIVE feet of new. I'm already dug out..hit Starbucks at 5:30am ..Going SKIING after they get the roads open to the slopes.

I don't want any flooding down below....

But if you ski or snowboard?

It DOES'NT get any better then this.

EPIC!!

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
we got so much rain here yesterday we started to get a pond around our house... the street flooded out ...if it rained anymore than it did yesterday we would be boating our asses outta here.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by raiders247
The United States Geological Survey has released a new video explaining what the possibilities of this storm could mean for California. Over 45 days of continuous rain totaling over 10 feet, and almost half of the state being inundated for months. I find it strange that for once a government agency is actually trying to raise awareness and prepare the citizens, instead of leaving them to fend for themselves.

I work in emergency management. I get updates all the time from the national weather service with regards to storms. We post the threats online and give them to the media.....The truth is the public is too comfortable to care, until its too late...its not the governments fault....its everyone else’s fault for not caring about their own.
edit on 25-3-2011 by THEDUDE86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by THEDUDE86

i feel that is completely true... i been keeping an eye on the water situation here in California for some time now ... even more so since they released that arkstorm threat a while back ... i do know the history of our state and historical flood zones and marshland... i actually found it quite unsettling that California's central valley pushed all of its rivers back by creating deep water channels and building up levees to create a farmable valley floor... if you ever drive through the delta you will know what i mean. The goverment posts its information on its sites as far as river flow and reservoir releases. Now i have been watching this weather... and what water we have already gotten. As far as rain totals and snow totals are setting records... The reservoirs have been filling up i guess since we had a no rain month in january where we historically have gotten rain.. Jan is one of our wettest months here but rain was a no show. So they let the reservoirs fill up... Now we had these late season storms that dumped HUGE amounts of snow and water over the state... with little to no snowmelt runoff to have made its way into the reservoirs... Its a few days a way but they say its gonna warm up after weekend... That should start that snow melt pretty good... In in that case i see possible flood events taking place if say two weeks down the line we were to see more rain and snow to ths area. Just pay attention Californians... You should be able to track the storms before they hit and know what hazards pose a threat to your region. Stay informed...

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the video raiders.

One of my other handles is ArcStorm and I did not choose this name because of this hypothetical storm but because of a lucid dream I had years ago that involved extreme lightning like I've never seen in reality. Constant lightning with multiple bolts seen constantly. I was even struck at the back of a house in my dream. What is most strange is that I LOVE a good lightning storm but this one scared me to the point where I took shelter in a corner and was still struck by bolts entering the house.

The two handles I current use are AeonStorm (or time storm) and ArcStorm (or electrical storm). One my older handles was Tempest (storm).

Just thought I'd share this little tidbit with everyone because for me this is more than a coincidence (even if this hypothetical storm is called an ARKStorm instead of ArcStorm). Maybe this lucid dream was a sign of things to come?

SnF

Peace and Respect,

AS
edit on 25-3-2011 by AeonStorm because: snf + added

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
the local papers reads

Steady rain and continuing snow accumulation in the Sierra has prompted the Bureau of Reclamation to spill from all of their Central Valley Project reservoirs for flood control.

New Melones on the Stanislaus River was the last Bureau dam to impose flood releases. Spilling was scheduled to have started Tuesday. Rain is expected for the next four days with a high wind advisory through 5 p.m. today.

The Bureau had been holding back on New Melones releases due to releases coming from state and federal dams farther south along the San Joaquin River’s watershed. The strategy effectively prevents a repeat of the January 1997 episode when heavy releases from elsewhere on the San Joaquin River tributary system and the Stanislaus River releases hit at their confluence almost at the same time where the two rivers combine 11 miles south of Manteca triggering nine levee breaks and subsequently 80 square miles of flooding.

Conditions are also different this time. In 1996, a heavy December snowpack unexpectedly started melting when unseasonably warm weather occurred at the end of the month and on into early 1997 to rapidly fill New Melones. There were concerns the dam could be breached. It also was not raining in the valley but was dry and sunny.

New Melons as of Wednesday had only 567,000 acres feet of storage left in the 2.4-million acre-foot reservoir with increasing inflows. On top of that, the Department of Water Resources reported Tuesday that the projected runoff into New Melones between April and July will be between 630,000 and 1,120,000 acre feet.

Water level at Vernalis south of Manteca near the confluence of the Stanislaus and San Joaquin rivers was at 20.69 feet Wednesday at 11 p.m. Flood stage is 24.5 feet. The highest recorded level was 34.9 feet on Jan. 5, 1997.

The state started emergency levee repairs in January along the San Joaquin River near Durham Ferry in anticipation of a big spring run-off. Crews worked 24/7 to strengthen the levee that has failed a number of times since 1929.

The same stretch of levee also was stressed significantly in May of 2006. The levees were strengthened back then as well. No flooding occurred, though.

It is one of nine spots south of Manteca that failed during January of 1997 along the Stanislaus and San Joaquin rivers triggering the flooding of 80 square miles. There was $100 million in property damages, 2,000 people were evacuated, 20,000 head of cattle were relocated, and 800 homes and other structures sustained some form of water damage.

The northern Sierra that feeds the Sacramento River that has a much wider channel plus a series of bypasses is at 115 percent of normal in terms of the snowpack. The southern Sierra that runs off into the San Joaquin River, though, is at 140 percent of normal. The San Joaquin River channel lacks bypasses, has a narrower channel, and has more levees under stress.

The weakest part on the entire San Joaquin River section is just south of Manteca.

The area south of Manteca has flooded 11 times since 1929.

The biggest recorded flood in modern South County history started in 1950. It caused flooding west of present-day Interstate 5 in Lathrop. Flood waters threatened San Joaquin County Hospital and came within four miles of downtown Manteca. There were 2,000 people evacuated. Today, if the same flooding occurred, it would force 20,000 people to flee.

www.mantecabulletin.com...

Like i said i been paying attention the facts... the fact is there is a WHOLE lot of water locked up in snowpack in the sierra nevada mountains... no doubt about it... These guys better start releasing a whole lot more water... screw the farmers , screw Southern Californians for moving into a Desert... Let that water out of the dam... and dont stop... because Come spring snow runoff... all that water has to go somewhere...and My family just happens to live downstream of their water storage/flood control reservoirs... and if it does flood here it will be because dickhead politicians and wealthy farmers responsible for pushing around those in charge at the bureau of reclamation... holding on to water they didnt need to.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
These guys actually want to get paid out for not getting the water they steal...

The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has issued a ruling that puts an end to litigation between the Stockton East Water District, Central San Joaquin Water Conservation District, and the California Water Service Company. The litigation centered on whether the water districts had a contractual right to receive water from the New Melones Reservoir reclamation project. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit rejected a last-ditch attempt by the government to obtain a rehearing. In denying the petition, the Court held that “there is no denying that the quantities of water promised were not delivered, and that therefore a breach occurred. This is beyond dispute—the evidence is conclusive.” The case is now remanded to the United States Court of Federal Claims for a determination of monetary damages “which to the extent feasible should be expedited.”

“The federal government entered into firm commitments with these water districts to get a permit from the state to fill the New Melones Reservoir,” explained Nancie G. Marzulla, counsel for the water districts. “We are pleased to go on to the damages phase in this case,” she said.

In its seven-page order, the Court found “no valid basis exists for imposing a further delay in vindicating the rights of the non-breaching Districts in this case.” The Court also reasoned that further litigation would be gratuitous: “The issue is whether, as a matter of justice and efficient use of judicial resources, further evidentiary wrangling over liability is appropriate. We think not.”

The case, Stockton East v. United States, No. 04-541L, stemmed from a decision by the United States Bureau of Reclamation to deliver far less water to the districts than the federal government had promised to provide under their contracts. The trial court, however, had found in favor of the federal government on the basis of several technical rulings. On appeal, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit disagreed, ruling for the water districts, and remanding the case to the U.S. Court of Federal Claims for the purpose of deciding damages.

They wanna put lives at risk so the wealthy farmer can make an extra buck and the Central and Southern California Politicians will get re elected promising cheaper water rates and irrigation water... Lynch those sons of bitches.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Earlier this year the spanish media tv had reports on this. They pushed this info for like a week. They urged people to prepare. 10-15 ft of rain. Didnt think much of it until I realized that we usually measure rain in inches. I had family members warn me about this upcoming storm. Heres a Link Its in spanish, and they are calling it "Super Tormenta" (Superstorm). I thought maybe it had something to do with Elenin. A lot of talk of this comet in Jan. made me jump to that conclusion.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join