It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thoughts on Titan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
As we've found Titan to be possibly habitable, this is what I propose we do.

Send some earth-based bacteria and analyzing its survival and evolving methods and rates. I suppose that would be a bit dangerous though due to if there did once exist life, and we introduce extra-body organisms, then we run the risk of inducing alien mutations and destroying a self-contained system, which would preclude any viable study of this system. However, if we don't find any life, it doesn't mean that it isn't there..just that we lack the ability to detect it. ANYTHING we do is potentially dangerous.

-Sorry for the run ons

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
A more practical, and less expensive, method would be to create Titan's conditions in a lab and expose the bacteria to that enviroment.

Besides, I think we have laws against contaminating other worlds. I know we have them pertaining to Mars.

Living organisms have been found in every enviromental extreme imaginable. If Titan has the ability to bring forth even the most primitive of lifeforms (nucleic acid), then I think life would surely be present.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Do you have a link to this article?

Q

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Extraterrestrial life: Kill them all...take their land...go there for vacation!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   
No its liquid on titan!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 04:30 AM
link   
titan is a water based moon of saturn, correct? then why are we worried about it. just snap some pictured and roll. how long did it take that satelite to get there?not to long...why cant we go farther out? find another galaxy?

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Just a few things to think about. We are thinking of life in terms of Earth. There is no reason to think that life that develops on another planet will be or act like any life on Earth. This might make it very hard to recognize. As for going there-we must be ohhh so careful, how many times have we seen disaster in introducing foreign life just from one country to another-imagine from planet to planet. This goes both ways, if we send a probe to another planet and it brings something back with it, there is no telling what it might do on Earth.

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It's not possibly habitable, not even remotely. The surface temperature is just a few degrees above zero kelvin. It is so cold that the "lava" is an icy slush of nitrogen. So in conclusion, your few things to think about (mrmonsoon) is very few...

posted on Jul, 26 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
My thought about Titan is to nudge it out of orbit and into an approximately earth like orbit around the Sun. PRESTO a planet with a magnetic field, atmosphere and a good ready mix of organic atoms and molecules. As it warms it could be a freezer stored, pre-terraformed world.

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Slank I hate to burst your bubble but because Titan (Earth II) is made out of mostly solid Nitrogen, I am afraid your planet would melt when nudged closer to the earth and probably vaporize...

jra

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

titan is a water based moon of saturn, correct? then why are we worried about it. just snap some pictured and roll. how long did it take that satelite to get there?not to long...why cant we go farther out? find another galaxy?

We don't know much about Titan, hence the reason to learn more about it. There is still a lot to explore in our own solar system. It took 7 years for the satillite to get there.

Find another Galaxy?!?! we haven't even explored the one we're in. Are you aware of just how long it would take to get to another Galaxy let alone the nearest star system?

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I hate to admit it but FreeMason is correct in that the possiblilty of life on Titan is next to zero as the average mean temperature on the surface of Titan is 90 degrees kelvin (-298 degrees farenhiet sorry 4 the speeling)
If you are interested in the possiblity of extraterrestrial life (inside our solar system, The best bet that NASA and their fellow scientists are now looking at Jupiter's moon Europa. Yes the temperature (on the surface) is as cold as Titan, but going by the fault lines that have been discovered on the ice, scientists believe that there is enough tectonic activity that below the surface maybe liquid (water?).
For more info on Europa, check out the following link:
www.solarviews.com...

top topics

join