Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

First North Pole Ozone Hole Forming?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Spawned by strangely cold temperatures, "beautiful" clouds helped strip the Arctic atmosphere of most of its protective ozone this winter, new research shows. The resulting zone of low-ozone air could drift as far south as New York, according to experts who warn of increased skin-cancer risk.

Didn't see that this had been posted, thought I'd share. Seems like perfect timing w/ the solar maximum not too far away. The article goes on to say that the high altitude freezing over the Arctic has possibly reduced the ozone to half it's normal concentration, and is continuing to do so.

The obvious risks would be things like skin cancer, but, are there any others? Will it let in extra or stronger amounts of heat? Is that capable of causing fires or increasing "global warming"? I'm hardly an expert on the subject so any feedback would be appreciated.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Ear-Responsible because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wow what is the world coming to, it's one thing after another - sure the skilled memebrs on here will be in to help out.

Very concerning thanks for sharing S&F

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Dude studies busted this wide open years ago... Holes in the ozone over the Arctic are cyclical, that is they expand and recede. Nothing to be alarmed about.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaybles
Dude studies busted this wide open years ago... Holes in the ozone over the Arctic are cyclical, that is they expand and recede. Nothing to be alarmed about.

Skin cancer is nothing to be alarmed about? And as far south as New York? It has already weakened to half it's normal concentrations. That is significant, it's only getting weaker, as the article states and is currently weaker than EVER before.

Before spring is out, "we may even get the first Arctic ozone hole ... which would be a dramatic development—one which would make it into coming history books," he said.

First Arctic ozone hole? History books? Yea, nothing to see here.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I remember a few years ago, they were always worried that the ozone hole above the arctic was going to get bigger, and start giving people cancer. I think the hole was the reason behind changing aerosol spray cans, and the way refrigerators run. They were also worried that it would move slightly south, over more populated areas.

Now they're claiming this is the first hole? Ever?
Odd.

www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (Apr. 9, 1998) — An ozone hole in the Arctic is expected to grow larger as a result of greenhouse gas accumulation and should worsen through the year 2020 before recovering

www.highbeam.com...

Article from:The Washington Post Article date:March 16, 1990
Atmospheric scientists have confirmed that a hole in the ozone layer opened over the North Pole last winter. While it was not as large as the better-known hole that occurs annually over the South Pole, they say that all the ingredients are there for a severe ozone depletion someday in the Arctic.

Maybe now they're saying that it wasn't a whole hole?
edit on 24-3-2011 by snowspirit because: added links

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
And with the extremely powerful solar maximum coming our way...ishhhleebeedish!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

Skin cancer is nothing to be alarmed about? And as far south as New York? It has already weakened to half it's normal concentrations. That is significant, it's only getting weaker, as the article states and is currently weaker than EVER before.

Before spring is out, "we may even get the first Arctic ozone hole ... which would be a dramatic development—one which would make it into coming history books," he said.

Oh it's spread that far? Alright well that is reason for alarm then. My bad, I should've read up on it before responding. Apologies.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jaybles

No worries bro. Sorry for the sarcasm

Currently reading up on the previous supposed "holes" to figure out what's going on and why they're claiming this one is the first. I do recall this coming up years ago. Until then..

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ear-Responsible

[/quo

We in New Zealand live with the melanoma threat constantly given the often depleted ozone layer over the South Pole. But we have learnt how to deal with it, and too it! Skin cancer rates are still high here compared to the rest of the world, but have been contained in recent years with a good sun awareness campaign. Everyone should be aware that getting out into the sun without a high UV skin protectant cream is madness. But we also need to be aware that we must get our VitD and that is 90% from sunlight. So choosing the times you go under the sun sans protection is important. Dont do it at peak UV times, and no longer than 20 mins at a time. And expose as much skin as possible....so taking up casual nudism seems a good idea huh??

Re the first Arctic hole? I would be sad about that, but I have to say that we at the bottom of the world have our ozone problem due to the bigwig industrial countries in the Sth hemisphere....not of our own doing.

posted on Sep, 14 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Ear-Responsible

I believe that an OZONE HOLE is being formed above these thirteen (13) cities in Southern California. Why? The UV Levels as bounded by these cities have been either 11 or 12 for the past THREE months in which I have been documenting their UV levels on a daily basis. Furthermore, when one moves away from the cloud these specific cities outline, the UV level drops to 4 or 5.
Is this something that is happening or not? I need a review and comment from someone in authority or in this science.
The MAP OUTLINE includes the following cities (as a minimum)

1. Anaheim
2. Brea
3. Compton
4. Downey
5. Fullerton
6. La Puente
7. Pico Rivera
8. Placentia
9. Sunset Beach
10. Walnut
11. Westminster
12. West Covina
13. Whittier

Please CONTACT (No PUN INTENTED) me and either VALIDATE these finding with CURRENT data or refute this data entirely with CURRENT data. Regardless of SEASON, the % DROP outside the CLOUD formation should still be present and therefore documentable..I will continue to document the UV's beginning October 1, 2012 for FALL-WINTER Seasons (??) here in So California.

top topics

join

Help ATS Recover with your Donation.
read more: Help ATS Recover With Your Contribution