Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

12 years old boy with higher IQ than Einstein developing his own theory of relativity

page: 17
182
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by laymanskeptic

Self-explenatory for a student willing to suspend disbelief. I can always suspend disbelief regarding the foundations of calculus, and just follow it mechanically while using some physical insight, and ace the damn subject.

I'm talking about the mystery of why the physical world had to behave mathematically in the first place, something the garden variety calc student doesn't even think about.

"I'm moving around meaningful symbols on a sheet of paper, which so elegantly corresponds to the state of affairs in the physical world as if by magic, and I don't care about the philosophical why. I just know it works."

Typical engineering student. He will definitely pass the subject.


The physical world doesn;t behave mathematically. Math just tries to quantify physical state. It's just a generally accepted medium. Just like how the same grammar keeps our communication on the same page.

By the way just because someone doesn't agree with 2+2= 1,00003 doesn't necessarily make that person a robot that only records and stores instead of understanding. In calc it's more important to understand than memorize formulas. It's not algebraic algorithms only.

And also nobody says you can't question math- you are more then welcome to do so, just have to be able to withstand the scrutiny.




posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by delicatessen
 


Its not really clear to me what is meant by "it can only converge on infinity via limits", the word "on" could mean that x->∞. But Jerry_Teps words are his to defend.

I did find it a bit ironic that you were so belittling towards Jerry_Teps while you didn't really give the impression you were understanding what limits or complex numbers are yourself.

Anyway, I think a case could be made that 1/0 is not infinity but undefined, especially when you consider that the limit from the left is not the same as the limit from the right. I guess it depends on the context in which you are saying it.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by delicatessen

Originally posted by laymanskeptic

Self-explenatory for a student willing to suspend disbelief. I can always suspend disbelief regarding the foundations of calculus, and just follow it mechanically while using some physical insight, and ace the damn subject.

I'm talking about the mystery of why the physical world had to behave mathematically in the first place, something the garden variety calc student doesn't even think about.

"I'm moving around meaningful symbols on a sheet of paper, which so elegantly corresponds to the state of affairs in the physical world as if by magic, and I don't care about the philosophical why. I just know it works."

Typical engineering student. He will definitely pass the subject.


The physical world doesn;t behave mathematically. Math just tries to quantify physical state. It's just a generally accepted medium. Just like how the same grammar keeps our communication on the same page.

By the way just because someone doesn't agree with 2+2= 1,00003 doesn't necessarily make that person a robot that only records and stores instead of understanding. In calc it's more important to understand than memorize formulas. It's not algebraic algorithms only.

And also nobody says you can't question math- you are more then welcome to do so, just have to be able to withstand the scrutiny.


Yes, math can and will explain the innermost workings of our universe. When a universally accepted "theory of everything" is proven it will do just that.

We have quantum physics and relativity, and the main challenge at the moment is to reconcile these two theories. I have no doubt whatsoever that if we survive long enough, we will have practical working knowledge of everything in our universe and it will have been gleaned through mathematical equations combined with physical experimentations such as what is being done in the LHC.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by -PLB-
reply to post by delicatessen
 


Its not really clear to me what is meant by "it can only converge on infinity via limits", the word "on" could mean that x->∞. But Jerry_Teps words are his to defend.

I did find it a bit ironic that you were so belittling towards Jerry_Teps while you didn't really give the impression you were understanding what limits or complex numbers are yourself.

Anyway, I think a case could be made that 1/0 is not infinity but undefined, especially when you consider that the limit from the left is not the same as the limit from the right. I guess it depends on the context in which you are saying it.


Strange impression when by your own account, you cant mke sense of Jerry's post.
Besides, when was the last time i mentioned "complex numbers"? Just point me there. "Complex quotient" is just a random result of division. "Complex Quotient" in my post equals "finite number" and that "finite number" doesn't equal "complex number". Please, reread that again.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by delicatessen
The physical world doesn;t behave mathematically. Math just tries to quantify physical state. It's just a generally accepted medium. Just like how the same grammar keeps our communication on the same page.

Ummm... I would have to disagree with you for reasons too many to mention...


By the way just because someone doesn't agree with 2+2= 1,00003 doesn't necessarily make that person a robot that only records and stores instead of understanding. In calc it's more important to understand than memorize formulas. It's not algebraic algorithms only.

Gotcha, agreed.

Although...
I wonder how much mathematical understanding engineers have compared to physicists.
I wonder how much mathematical understanding physicists have compared to mathematicians.
I wonder how much mathematical understanding mathematicians have compared to mathematician-philosophers.

I wonder if this kid with IQ170 is fit to be either an engineer, a physicist, a mathematician, or a mathematician-philosopher.

I say he'd make a good physicist, maybe even win a Nobel. But I doubt he'll win a Fields medal though. Sorry to be harsh. But let's not put too much pressure on the kid lolz...

He's no Gauss, or Godel, or Leibniz...


And also nobody says you can't question math- you are more then welcome to do so, just have to be able to withstand the scrutiny.

Agreed.
edit on 3/28/2011 by laymanskeptic because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gloster
Poor kid, he doesnt make sence, mother is very angry becouse of the dirty window and the dog freezed to death outside. He should play pc games or playstation 3


sense......poor response



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr
 


Mathematics will never be able to tell us more than whats inside the finite box of expanding energy and matter. Our math can't tell us the exact distance between 1 and 0. Ever. Our math can only see finite and never past finite expansion.

Mathematics can not tell us how finite matter was formed from the infinite. And it never will because math is dependent on what we can observe.


edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by boncho
 


Dude . . . did he just totally refute the Big Bang theory in one line of equations?


Jeebus


The Big Bang theory only proves that what we can observe is expanding, and that before everything was more compressed.

What this kid did was to prove that V "space" existed before the Big Bang.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66
 


This kid has proved nothing, explained nothing other than that which has been written in textbooks for hundereds of years before he existed (which I have used and taught others with). You speak about something you have no clue on.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberterius
reply to post by spy66
 


This kid has proved nothing, explained nothing other than that which has been written in textbooks for hundereds of years before he existed (which I have used and taught others with). You speak about something you have no clue on.


What ever you say daddy lol

2 line.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66
 


No by all means explain to all of us unworthy what "V Space" is and how some kid proved it, blind me with your uneducated science, and than talk about angels and ufos.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This my friends, is the cure to AIDS! lol



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This my friends, is the cure to AIDS! lol



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Leemo
 


What's the cure to not even understanding or having the intelligence enough that you had already posted a response and do it twice? Hehh hehh heh hehh.
edit on 28-3-2011 by Liberterius because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberterius
 
Now here you are on this thread saying this 12 year old is dumb. Now you are going to call this thread Bogus, and Hoax. You evidently have a complex, because someone has called you dumb all your life. This child has had very supportive parents that have nurtured his genius and not destroyed it by thinking it was not normal. Because you can't understand what he is talking about doesn't make him stupid.



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Please STOP the Bickering, Sniping and Off Topic remarks


12 years old boy with higher IQ than Einstein developing his own theory of relativity



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Have you ever thought what it might be like or even 'if' it's possible that the animal kingdom might have cases of Genius? For instance, a typical domesticated animal..... say a dog, or ape, or even a Dolphin. And the 'IQ' was off the charts..... And though maybe the vocal abillity was lacking, there was a way of comunicating, after all Stephan Hawking is only able to comunicate through a laser and eye aparatus. Just suppose a Genious subject was found and verified, then comunication established.... An interesting possability.



posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
that's rreally cool.



posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo
 


This is beyond amazing!



posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Tehe...I knew there were gonna be a few pseudo-geniuses on this thread who were gonna hate on this kid
...grown ass people wanting to put down a 12 year old...on a website...*shakes head*...man oh man...that in itself is the mark of a truly small mind, so just shut it.

Keep this kid the hell away from ATS, or humanity for that matter.

I would just like to see what goes in a mind like this kid's. Must be insane.
edit on 29-3-2011 by dude69 because: (no reason given)





new topics

top topics



 
182
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

log in

join