It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS members are being played like a fiddle... Dance! ATS Dance!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
My main goal is to obtain a higher understanding of any situation. I don't always accomplish this but I try. I'll read and star an opposing view if it is well thought out and makes me question my stance or opinions.

And what a selfless goal that is, and one I try to obtain myself, and I feel that I've done myself justice in that regard thus far; However, as has been stated, everyone is guilty of self serving aspirations to a degree, but too many people, both here and in the real world, let it cloud their view of a wider perspective. Which is a terrible shame really.

Thanks again for a wonderful thread

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ImmortalIntegrity

having doubt in every thing is the easiest thing to do . but when you want to trust in some thing or trust yourself it is hard and requires hard work , thinking for yourself and reasoning for yourself.
may be it would be hard at first but it is easy as you continue doing this.

As you start to think for yourself you should avoid being fanatic about everything.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Hefficide

My feelings exactly.
However are many of us arguing a point of view because we truly think and know we are right or is it simply EGO?
This goes for all of us by the way.

Ego plays a big role.
But there are many other reasons, some shady.
Some refuse to believe they could possibly be wrong, I guess that is a form of ego, some have been conditioned by the constant barrage of propaganda, and refuse to even consider another point a view.

Some have an agenda to push.

You would have to be foolish to think such a large forum, viewed by so many, isn't used by many to sway public opinion, ask yourself why when faced with insurmountable amounts of evidence, do some not budge an inch on certain topics.

That's why I walk away, it becomes futile.

edit on 033131p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by blissk

I fail to see how this applies to the topic.
Could you please be more specific?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by hmdphantom

having doubt in every thing is the easiest thing to do . but when you want to trust in some thing or trust yourself it is hard and requires hard work , thinking for yourself and reasoning for yourself.
may be it would be hard at first but it is easy as you continue doing this.

As you start to think for yourself you should avoid being fanatic about everything.

Im not exactly sure what your trying to say, but I believe time is not on our side. Now I could be wrong here but I think we let ourselves get distracted by focusing on EACH OTHER a little too frequently, I'm guilty of it myself because I know there are members trying to feed us things like this thread suggests. I think we all know who the bad guys are, or at least the proxy that will lead us to them, so what are we going to do about it? Consistently debating subjects like chemtrails and HAARP will do us no good when we already have evidence of criminal activity being conducted in other venues, prioritizing our focus is the key to progress.
edit on 24-3-2011 by ImmortalIntegrity because: clarify

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blissk
if it is so in free here why cannot you delete your own profile?

It is not "so free" in here. There are many Terms and Conditions, and you should read them and respect them. They are the reason this site is better than so many others.

It is also not "your own profile" it is the property of the site, and deleting it would negatively impact all of the contributions that you added. It would change the context of replies to your posts, and it would damage the chronology of discussions in which you participated. BUT, one is always free to log out and not come back.

One is free to speculate, discuss, research and learn though. This personal growth and experienced is far superior to being spoonfed by the MSM. BUT, one should never be so open-minded as to let their own brain fall out. There is a lot of craziness on here as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

One week it's a Wests failure when they don't assist then when they do get involved it's a crime and all about the oil etc. Meanwhile people are dying and being massacred

An issue like the one above is a complicated one. On one hand, I want the US or some country to protect the innocent civilians but on the other hand I don't think anyone should get involved. I can see why people criticized the West for not helping sooner and I can see why people are pointing out that the West is only looking after its economic reason. Which way should I go?

IMO, at one point or another we all get played. Sometimes we make our arguments based on facts, other times we make it based on other reasons such as emotions or ego. The only thing we can hope for is to eventually get down to the truth and go with what is right even if it is against what we believe or was brought up to believe.

But, sometimes we wouldn't recognize the truth even if it was slapping us in the face.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

edit on 24-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Of course, we all share the weakness of valuing our ego more than we need to at times. It is a common failing. And yes, there are some who are apparently disinclined to accept that their rock solid view of the universe and the human condition is flawed.

I can't deny that sometimes, walking away can be a prudent course of action.

But I resist that path as a matter of principle. I don't feel I can learn much more from silence. I have exercised silence for a very long time (as you probably can tell by how verbose I am
). I find ATS to be a place where there is a continuously reappearing flicker of hope; and I try to reach out and find the embers of that hope - even if only to get some comfort from the fact that the things that matter to me, the things that are important enough that I will break my silence, are not crazy and irrelevant, not only in my head... that there are others who are on this road with me.

Believe me, in my environment there are precious few to whom I can speak to about my thoughts. For the people around me, it's mostly booze, TV, pop music, and celebrity gossip. They see me reading a book about symbolic logic, or existentialist philosophy, at lunch and they look at me like I have two heads because it's not pulp fiction or a talking head's 'masterpiece' from the NYTimes best seller list. (and they consider themselves 'elite.')

ATS matters to me. It matters enough that I want to be part of it. But that's just me.

edit on 24-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Well, it surely doesn't hurt the ratings!

yes seems your right

A "Defining Moment" for ATS - March, 2011
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
It is not "so free" in here. There are many Terms and Conditions, and you should read them and respect them. They are the reason this site is better than so many others.

Well ATS has one major advantage over the news networks...

They don't need to pay reporters...
people here work for flags and stars and the occasional applause, so if there are flaws in the reports... remember ya get what ya pay for

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

sorry. may be that is because I am not a native American.

Thanks for your advice. and I am not wasting my time on this thread.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
someone sure knows how to bring 'them' out HA

great thread btw

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by knowthyneighbor

What do you mean by "them" ? Quality members who care about the site?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

My question is this...

Has anybody else noticed this? I'm not attempting to single anyone out. We all have a right to post our opinions and make our arguments. That goes without saying. Take the recent ME issues regarding Libya, Egypt and now Syria. Or [ insert your favorite non related issues here ] We seem to be inundated with threads of claims and counter claims. One week it's a Wests failure when they don't assist then when they do get involved it's a crime and all about the oil etc. Meanwhile people are dying and being massacred.

In this specific case, I think those view points are always there banging away. The very current events, and demonstration, of how some countries are worth being 'saved' while others are not, has only brought these views to the fore and therefore in conflict with those opinions that would otherwise avoid such topics. I don't think that is too unusual. With it in their face it can't easily be avoided. Rather than have a reasoned discussion with that person and their viewpoint, they start another with the opposing view. Not the most mature attitude, but, there you go. Generally, it does seem to be a very common tactic around here of late. Lots of empty vessels though.

More people around here these days, that makes the current stronger and harder to swim against.

Yesterday I read Henry Thoreau's 'On the Duty of Civil Disobedience', an brilliant and still highly relevent essay on the responsibility of the individual to direct the action of their government through their own self-determination. Failure to do this, argued Thoreau, was a failure of conscience that would lead to others overtaking that responsibility and therefore the ability to use the might of that government for the benefit of the few. Very, very wise man.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
yes lets not discuss anything
we wouldn't want to find out that the US is supporting AL CIA DUH publically.

heres the problem:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

somebudy had to face some truth

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

you know who them is you just dont know who i think them is lol

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by knowthyneighbor

Could you be a bit more specific?
That would go a looong way.

Thanks

edit on 24-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

the aliens man!!!!!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join