It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS members are being played like a fiddle... Dance! ATS Dance!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

That thought process, combined with your thread made me think of the Socratic Method of "remembering information" vs. "learning."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a125f5b2849e.gif[/atsimg]

EXACTLY!

Are we learning ANYTHING from what we are reading and posting and applying it to our lives or are we just simply regurgitating what we agree with?

edit on 24-3-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by xavi1000

I appreciate the stance on the ME issue again it was just an example.
AND
Your reply was a great example of what I'm talking about.
If you catch my drift...

I understand you very well

link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I just has already understood that there are facts and lies on ATS.

as long as I find a good source of proof I rely on it. I usually don't focus on accusations. I accept anything whether the proof is found or reasonably discussed + I try to study myself on the subject and I am diligent . regards.

link   
Slayer,
You've brought up some good points that I'm surprised I didn't catch, as it has been going on for a while.

Perhaps we are being played like a fiddle, and I'll gladly give you my take as to how its being furthered by our members.

Something happens in the world, whether its political or social...whatever.

A member picks up on it, logs on to ATS as fast as they can (Gotta get them flags!), posts it with a million exclamation points and a brief rundown...Without thinking about the possible ramifications of said post.

Then the OP disappears, leaving the thread to be absorbed by us. Influencing some who very well might not know any better, in who knows what way...

Rinse and repeat.

Over and over and over.

MSM Reports this, MSM Reports that

I mean, how many threads has anyone seen as of late that actually contained discussion? Seriously? Rather than ideology being spewed back and forth.

And for what purpose?

We are slowly all becoming our own "disinfo agents"

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Well, it surely doesn't hurt the ratings!

Ratings for what? ATS? Or a members mini profile?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Ultimately I think it is that we play ourselves, no exterior forces or influence needed. Part of the problem is that we have a diverse community, from all locales and walks of life, with divergent points of view and opinions. We also have folks who argue for the sake of arguing. If you say "America is good" they'll spontaneously post a diatribe about how horrible America is. If you post that "America is an abomination", the same member might show up and tell you to leave it if you don't love it - greatest nation in history and all.

Those two factors then work into psychology. We all want recognition and a pat on the back. We all want to author popular posts or threads. This desire for acceptance and popularity leads to some interesting places. How often have we seen a thread pop up, say called "The Sky Is Blue!!!" and, two hours later, another new threads shows up titled something like "The Sky Is NOT Blue!!!". This often leaves me snickering as it's an obvious case of a thread reply being made into a new thread of its own simply for the want of flags.

We, as a community, often approach the question "Are there paid posters or agent provocateurs on ATS?" - IE are we being played here? Much like most of us, I have researched this question. I've even written an overview thread addressing just who might be doing such things and the mechanisms they utilize (From an American POV). My ultimate conclusion to that question is the below...

I don't feel that, in all but the rarest of cases, would it benefit TPTB to manipulate our opinions. While I do believe that there are countless special interest groups who enlist agenda based posters to sway ATS opinion - particularly in the areas of politics and religion - I think that governments are much better off simply observing and cataloging. They aren't looking to take us off of lists, by changing our ideas. They are interested in getting names onto lists. What better way to figure out where we stand than to simply watch us ramble?

So, I think TPTB are not trying to tell us what to think. I believe they are trying to give us enough "freedom" that we admit to our most intimate thoughts in public. A much more productive process.

My .02 cents.

~Heff
edit on 3/24/11 by Hefficide because: typo

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Change occurs with action, not forum postings.

I go through periods where I get disgusted and see no point to my efforts here in this site, and will stay away for a while. Recently I was considering walking away from this site again, when a friend I have made on this site contacted me through Google chat. I told him what I was going through, and while we have been friends for a while, for the first time he told me why he counted me as his friend.

He told me that the very first post he ever read in ATS was one that I wrote. It was one of my appeals to a more peaceful "velvet revolution" - I know you know about these appeals of mine, as you yourself have confronted me directly on one of them, asking me to clarify my meaning - and my friend told me that prior to that he was very much of the "lock and load, bring it on" mind set, but after reading my post, I convinced him there was a better way.

I have been contacted by members through U2U telling me that I have changed their minds through my reasoning on certain issues. I have been contacted by several people who have made it clear I am making a difference, and you know what my brother, so are you!

Action is imperative, but what makes you think that what we do here is not action?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
well Slayer, there are many different levels
of users here at ATS. Beginners, avg and seasoned
vets, etc... With that said, some of the newbies
are having a hard time keeping up and have a hard time
grasping the scope of some of the topics we discuss
here on a daily basis. You know as well as I do that we
do not get the truth from the MSM. Just about everything
you read or hear on the net is either spun one way or
the other. It's all a matter of which spin you believe in
the most.

While one story breaks and FOX tells the truth and CNN
paints the lie. Then the next story breaks and CNN tells
the truth and FOX lies. It is a never ending cycle for
the minds of the populace. It is an on-going Psy-Ops
from some very brilliant minds. The seasoned vets here
are sometimes the only ones who can wade through
the mountain of BS. And most times, journalist just
relay the lies directly out of the mouths of the politicians.
I don't trust our government to tell us the truth in
almost everything and likewise the media. But some
times you have to apply your own theory of what is
right and what is wrong else, you wind up in the nut
house.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
who is the most evil and who has the most blood on their hands.
all media is biased so we could never know but my guess is it isn't gaddafi or osama bin laden.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
One can only dance on one's free will. NO ONE can compell any oneself to dance. What makes one dance are only based on compelling evidences, AFTER discussions and debates.

Never fear LOUD vocal voices on NUMEROUS threads. A million droplets of water may raise the water level, but still, it is only water which evaporates under the reality of the sun. Truth, one way or another, will ALWAYs prevail.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Ratings for what? ATS? Or a members mini profile?

Take your pic.

A thread on a controversial topic is good for the members rating, good for ATS's rating, good for Googles ads, good for all the site that people will run out to and grab sources, good for everyone's churches when they show up on Sunday to repent or confess for what they read or said or did. Good for the manufacturers when all that anger and depression require pharmaceuticals or new shoes to relax us. Good for the grocery stores when we seek out comfort food or RedBull to stay up all night and debate. Good for the job market when we are inefficient at our jobs, because we are playing on the internet instead of working, because we are so emotionally vested.

Conflict is just plain good business!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
To keep us fighting ourselves is one of the most devious conspiracies to date. One which I think involves religion, science, government, secret societies and pretty much everything that keeps humanity from evolving into what we know we are capable of.

A secret is the only thing that could possibly save humanity from it's enemies, because if it wasn't a secret, it would be used against us.

We NEED to use the power of our numbers for good before those numbers are diminished.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

AND we appear to be all too willing to jump in and regurgitate what we've heard or read. [Supporting "OUR" side which ever it is] Again playing our part as if it will help change the real situation.

This isnt a slam against ATS because I believe ATS is a very valuable asset in getting the word out. But which word?

Hopefully myopic bubbles have popped and this may be a wake up call of sorts.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
A thread on a controversial topic is good for the members rating, good for ATS's rating, good for Googles ads, good for all the site that people will run out to and grab sources, good for everyone's churches when they show up on Sunday to repent or confess for what they read or said or did. Good for the manufacturers when all that anger and depression require pharmaceuticals or new shoes to relax us. Good for the grocery stores when we seek out comfort food or RedBull to stay up all night and debate. Good for the job market when we are inefficient at our jobs, because we are playing on the internet instead of working, because we are so emotionally vested.

Conflict is just plain good business!

lmao

now there's a capitalist viewpoint
if I ever heard one !!!!

no offense of course

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I think that all I want to know is proof . I like to be convinced or convince some one. I want my mind to grow up and learn to look some thing on the different aspects.

ATS has helped me a lot. I hadn't used the internet like this before. I am informed on ATS and I inform most of the people who trust me. there are lots of interaction and ATS let me not to stand still . I have been able to get to know American average people.

the only thing that I think is bad on ATS is that people here are mostly all-talk.

and I have a conclusion why is all these bad things are happening on this planet.
edit on 24/3/11 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

link   

Isn't it just ego?

I don't think it will burst any bubbles, because everyone is anxious to share what they know. Everyone is anxious to pick a side and be accepted by that side. We have to prove that our opinion is founded on more solid ground than theirs. We have to show that our thought process was superior, and we are actually charitable in sharing our important opinion with the uninformed. We feel good about what we said or did.

Sometimes we switch sides, but that doesn't tarnish our ego. No, now we are not only right, but also open-minded and honest, and now it is even more important to convince those on the other side that they just weren't seeing the whole picture. They should be as open-minded as us and jump sides like we did. Now we are a good example of how people are supposed to act.

I am personally guilty of everything I just posted. We all are. The ego is a powerful thing, and the puppet masters are tuned into it like master musicians!

link   

You definately cancel yourself out of running for political office by posting here.

Headline
Candidate John Smith Believes In Aliens

your post--------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Analyze76

You definately cancel yourself out of running for political office by posting here.

Headline
Candidate John Smith Believes In Aliens

your post--------------------------------------------

We need a president that believes in aliens! Every country does! Do you believe in aliens? How do you know your president isn't an alien?
edit on 24-3-2011 by ImmortalIntegrity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

AND we appear to be all too willing to jump in and regurgitate what we've heard or read. [Supporting "OUR" side which ever it is] Again playing our part as if it will help change the real situation.
This isnt a slam against ATS because I believe ATS is a very valuable asset in getting the word out. But which word?
Hopefully myopic bubbles have popped and this may be a wake up call of sorts.

well in all earnest Slayer,
I would have to disagree.
there are discussions here on
threads where people do change
their viewpoints.

I myself have done this.

First was wikileaks, i was all for wikileaks
til I did research on them.

then I was all for saving the rebels in Libya
til I found out they were Al Queda.

So bringing things to light on ATS does
affect their outlook and I suppose that
supports your theory of being played the
fiddle.

However, with that in mind. How do we know
whether our first assessment has us playing fiddle?

OR

our 2nd change of outlook is the playing the fiddle?

This has to be done on an individual topic basis
I think as one never knows where one stands
until presented with a set of info and circumstances
and that revolves constantly.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I hope you applauded yourself for that as you've hit the nail on the head.

What gets discussed and the method of dissemination regarding an individuals or groups viewpoints seems slanted toward conflict here as of late (a few years). I honestly feel that if the "myopic bubbles" as Slayer put it, aren't popped, and soon, ATS is in danger of becoming irrelevant in its quest Denying Ignorance, in favor of our members desire to deny viewpoints and opinions

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

It amazes me that everyone is sure of SOMETHING! When you stop questioning EVERYTHING you run the risk of being manipulated.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join