It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poof! It's Thailand's fire-extinguishing ball

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

BANGKOK, Thailand — It looks like a little red dodgeball. But when tossed into a fire, it bursts open and douses the blaze with fire-retardant chemicals packed inside.

This is the future of fire extinguishers, says Thai inventor Phanawatnan Kaimart. His “Elide Fire Extinguishing Ball” is more intuitive than fire extinguishing spray tanks, he says, and requires only enough strength to toss a 3-pound ball.

“You just hurl it in and step back and then — poof! — it’s automatic,” Phanawatnan said.

The ball sells for about $82, the approximate price of a 10-pound canister-based fire extinguisher in the United States. The ball’s manufacturer, Siam Safety Premier, claims to have sold roughly 1 million balls since its 2001 release.

Source: www.globalpost.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Wow! A fire extinguishing ball!

This contraption is another surefire way to combat small fires with comparative ease, not needing to slug around a heavy fire extinguisher like a weightlifter.

Would you want some fire extinguishing balls stored in your home or office?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This stuff is old man
i'v seen this on our news like 5 years ago :p

I always wonderd what happend with those thingis

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I imagine they never caught on as lets be honest how tempting would it be to throw that thing at someone, I know if I saw one of these when I was drunk it would be getting chucked at someone or something
Its a red ball for gods sake, it is as tempting as a large red button which says "Do not press"

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
This thing is BRILLIANT! - it won't blow up except under high heat....the beauty of this is, if you have one, say, beside the furnace....it'll blow out the fire even if your not home...better than a fire detector if you ask me! lol!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Just a new take on an old idea. In the late 1800's early fire extinguishers were made of glass globes filled with carbon tetrachloride and were designed to be thrown at the base of a fire.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Causing an explosion in the middle of a fire sounds like a dangerous thing to do. Wouldn't blazing bits hurtle everywhere, causing further mayhem?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Causing an explosion in the middle of a fire sounds like a dangerous thing to do. Wouldn't blazing bits hurtle everywhere, causing further mayhem?

Yeah. That thing is about the last thing you would want to use on a grease or oil fire. Would we have to do some rapid calculations about the mass of the ball (its coverage) in relationship to the mass of material burning? This thing thrown on a grease or oil fire would be exactly the same as throwing water on those two. You don't do that, you are simply spreading the burning material.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If you can dodge a fire, you can dodge a ball!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

You can get more info at www.accentsystems.biz

new topics

top topics

join