It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Any Christians Frightened By What Is Happening In The World?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I for one am, at the very least, apprehensive about the IMMINENT return of Jesus Christ.

I love my Savior, and I'll never deny that - NEVER. I believe that Jesus Christ willingly gave Himself up to be tortured and crucified to pay the price for my sins, and the sins of everyone who is willing to call on His name. "The wages of sin is death," the Bible tells us, and Christ paid those wages for us. I believe that He was entombed, that His spirit spent three days preaching His Father's gospel to those in Gehenna who had died before He was crucified, and rescued the souls there. I believe that He was resurrected and ascended into Heaven to be at the right hand of His Father, where He is currently.

I also believe that we are living in the VERY LAST DAYS before Christ returns. And I'm uneasy about it.

I try to live for the Lord, but still I'm worried that I won't measure up. I'm a sinner. I know this; there are still aspects of my life that I'm endeavoring to change in order to become more "Christ-like," but I'm having a difficult time conforming to a more "perfect" lifestyle that I KNOW would please God. I also worry for the people I love - and yes, for the unsaved as well. SO MANY will die without being saved, and that just breaks my heart.

I could go on for a long time about everything I worry about in connection with TEOTWAWKI, but I'll spare you most of it. On the one hand, I'm relieved and praising God that He is about to fulfill all of His promises; but on the other hand, I'm still a bit apprehensive, frightened, or scared - pick your descriptor - that I will be found lacking. I don't want to be a "Lukewarm" Christian who is "Spewed."

I am just curious if any other Christians also have mixed emotions.

Atheists: If you want to contribute, please feel free to do so; but if your only input has to do with how "crazy" I am, or how believing in an "invisible Jewish zombie" is a mental illness, I'd appreciate it if you just kept that to yourself and kept walking.

Mods: I don't know if this is the correct forum. I chose it because it relates to prophecy, but the same case could be made for the 2012 forum, and a couple of others besides "Conspiracy in Religion." If you need to move it, please feel free to do so..

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

As a Christian who believes in the Tribulation but not the Rapture I am afraid for my children.
Scary future ahead of us.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I'm not a christian, but it seems like if you TRULY believed christ was coming you'd be pretty excited. I'd be pretty excited if I believed some savior was gonna come out of the sky and bring me up into the clouds. (actually i'm scared of heights so I don't know what I'd do). I wouldn't wanna barf all over Jesus.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

I'm not a christian, but it seems like if you TRULY believed christ was coming you'd be pretty excited.

I swear my very first thought was, 'No way! I am excited!' But I figured I'd immediately get flamed, as we often are, for being excited about something as if we're a bunch of doom mongers anxious for the dawn after the dark. lol

ANYWAYS, I am most definitely excited but of course, OldCorp, I feel a bit of anxiety as you do.

What about our loved ones? The doubt we're not 'good enough' to be 'without spot nor wrinkle' to be apart of the bride. Wondering just how dark things will get before the dawn comes. What if there is no rapture (as I personally believe there will be)?

So I definitely agree there is some anxiety there along with the hope. I do feel it's natural. I just try to follow the advice about watching and being ready and know that Jesus made the sacrifice to make us worthy. It hasn't escaped my notice that end times prophecy is being fulfilled at light speed and I do think we're close. So it is thrilling but I will be honest and say it is a little scary, too. Which is human to feel that way.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
All you can do is keep trying to better yourself and live for god,
He knows what is truly in your heart and don't worry none of us can
Measure up to the lord we are all sinners it's all about making the
best out of a bad situation

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
I'm not a christian, but it seems like if you TRULY believed christ was coming you'd be pretty excited. I'd be pretty excited if I believed some savior was gonna come out of the sky and bring me up into the clouds. (actually i'm scared of heights so I don't know what I'd do). I wouldn't wanna barf all over Jesus.

I DO believe Christ is coming, and SOON. I have no doubt about that, but the idea of a "Rapture" has only been part of church doctrine for about 175 years or so. There are three scenarios being debated by theologians: a pre, mid, and post-Trib Rapture; or as Cosmic Citizen believes, none at all.

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
As a Christian who believes in the Tribulation but not the Rapture I am afraid for my children.
Scary future ahead of us.

I have faith in God - it's the interpretation of His Word by MAN that has me worried.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i am not a christian and what i am going to say is how i feel and i mean no disrespect by it but surely living the best life you can and not doing the very worst things imaginable like murder etc. surely aspiring to always be better is enough. but i guess we will find out one way or the other.
edit on 24-3-2011 by jonnyb578 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff
they comfort me.

Psalm 23
KJV

pretty much says it all for me

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I share all those same fears with you brother. The verse about the luke-warm christians being spewed has always terrified me. I struggle with these things daily and yet I know it's not by our strength but by the Spirit that we walk in faith. I just wonder sometimes if I am even a true believer or if maybe I was created as an unclean vessel. Idk, but if so would I have the right to question it?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I'm not a dispensationalist, so I don't have that "out" of their anticipated Rapture. With that in mind, if these are the end times, that would make me a bit nervous, because by all accounts, it's going to suck, big time, for anyone that goes through it.

But I'm not convinced that we are living in those times. It's been an almost constant belief on the part of the faithful that they are the last generation, and events point to Christ's immanent return, but it's been demonstrated wrong, time and time again. We're screwing up the planet to a degree that I'm not sure anyone short of God could fix it, but we've not reached the tipping point yet, so I believe that we've still a ways to go.

Plus, we're in an environment of unprecedented communication and information exchange, so between the constant updates of news that, in the past, you might not have gotten for months, if ever, and the popularity of predicting the end time (from The Late, Great Planet Earth to Left Behind to all the 2012 hype,) I think that we've constructed an existence that verily breathes doom and gloom for those who want to see it.

With that in mind, I just set it all aside and live my life to reflect Christ's light into the world as best I can, same as everyone else has had the opportunity to do over the last 2,000 years. If the end comes tomorrow, whether through my own demise, or Christ's return, all you can do is be personally ready for it.

If Judgement Day comes tomorrow, the only ones who can complain about it are those who've chosen to live outside of God's grace, thinking that they could repent at a later date. But they'd have the same complain if they got hit by a bus tomorrow, so why worry about Judgement Day?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Hey OldCorp -

Not frightened, no, but weary of it all and not looking forward to the ride to come or the falling away of most of the faithful.

In a sick sort of way, I'm looking forward to getting on with it all as I'm very tired of this world system we've created (it basically is the matrix - silent weapons being used for quiet wars against the common people by elite people, groups, and entities in high places) and ready to see it break down so we can move past all the ignorant distractions that most people have deceived themselves with ("OMG, did you all see American Idol last night?! I got some new shoes/a TV/a fancy car" and never anything else of substance or value) and get our focus back to addressing the very real and very large issues at hand.

I know the far side of all this to come is a lovely, beautiful place, but the birth pangs have begun and it's gonna be a heck of a ride getting through to the renewal of all things.

Peace to you.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I can't say that I'm a Christian, or an Atheist.. Bottom line is something created all of what we know. Whether it was some benevolent being known as "God", a random physical event, or the power of combine consciousness.. Who knows.. But I think that one event or being or whatever it was can be referred to as "God" if you want to call it that. I don't think that Jesus was "God" incarnate.. I think all of us are. I think Jesus just knew we were all the children of the great event of creation. He spoke to the people to tell us the same thing that every religion preaches. Peace, Harmony, Love, and Light. He did some miraculous stuff and people were like holy @#$.. We need to write about this and let everyone know about it. Boom. That's where I stand on the issue.

Now...

I do know that strange things are happening, and everything seems to be "heating up". I think this thread would be just as appropriately named "Is ANYONE frightened by what is happening in the world?". I don't think the end times are here, I firmly believe that there is something much larger than we can even fathom happening at the moment and we'll all be ok, to some degree. Maybe it is wishful thinking.

I think there is a lot of symbolism in the Bible and any other religious texts. There is so much to interpret in different ways that it is hard for me to adhere to one belief set or denomination of anything. So I find the answers myself. The alarming (or at least cautioning) thing about it all is.. Every major religion or prophecy. (The bible is prophecy no?) speaks of some end time or end event. Some categorize the events leading up to the "end time" in a similar manner. Many pinpoint our time period. Do I think we are going to be submitted to fire and brimstone? Perhaps. All I know is that some wild things are happening and we all need to pay close attention. Prepare for the unknown, and count your blessings. Be kind to your fellow man, because you never know when you'll wish they were kind to you. We are one, with all.. And all is one. Put out the positive and erase the negative. Live happily and teach others to do the same. Be the rock and the light to guide others through the darkness.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Those who walk in the ways of Christ and keep his commandments have nothing to fear for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.

Those who do not, well they might want to start. Simply believing in his name is not enough, it never was. Keep his commandments.

If you love him, keep his commandments.
If you love him, you will love all.

Pick up your crosses and follow him.

Have no fear.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I too am a christian, and I am a sinner saved by grace. I see the way the world is and how things are going and I to wonder if the end times will happen in my life. I am excited to see Christ, however, I am also a bit scared that I don't measure up, I believe that Jesus died for my sins to bridge the gap between mankind and God. I also know that not all aspects of my life are worthy of Jesus' love and forgiveness. As a human I find it hard not to give into lust and other sins. I just pray that the father will know my heart and that of my loved ones. I hope that my heart is ready when the Savior comes to take us home.

I think its natural to be a big scared its our human nature coming out in us. God bless each of you and may we all be ready when Jesus comes.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

But concerning that day and that hour, no man knows, not the angels of the skies, but the father alone

But what if the rapture already happened and no one was found fit!? Wouldnt that be a hoot!

Seriously though, I've never been one to dwell on Armageddon … we should prepare ourselves for it regardless of its impending nature.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnyb578
i am not a christian anfd what i am going to say is how i feel and i mean no disrespect by it but surely living the best life you can and not doing the very worst things imaginable like murder etc. surely aspiring to always be better is enough. but i guess we will find out one way or the other.

Thank you for not calling me a nutjob.

Unfortunately, according to scripture, even the most moral and upright person is damned unless they acknowledge Christ as Lord and begs forgiveness.

I do have a theory, but it is ONLY a theory:

When Christ descended onto Gehenna (Hades, which btw is NOT Hell) He preached His Father's Word to those who had died before they had a chance to hear it. He rescued those souls which turned to Him and they were taken to Heaven, emptying Hades/Gehenna. Since that time, obviously, more people have died without hearing His Word.

It is my fervent hope that that BEFORE the final White Throne Judgment, those who have not heard of Jesus Christ - or have heard a twisted version like Westboro Baptist or Jim Jones, etc. - will be given the opportunity to accept Christ as their Savior. After all, the Bible clearly states that Hell was created for the Devil and his angels and NOT for people.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a loving God who would send the souls of His children to Hell to be tortured for eternity simply because they never heard His Word the way it was meant to be preached. That concept goes against the character of God, who sent His Son - part of Himself - in order to save as many as possible.

I'm hoping that EVERYONE will get a chance to hear God's Word from His OWN LIPS before they are judged.
edit on 3/24/2011 by OldCorp because: Spellin an punkshoeation

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I'm not a Christian so I don't believe in any of the stuff Christian fundys do. If you are that caught up with your religion and your gods, why don't you go check out on RaptureReady. All I can say is that I hope your gods come and get you people soon - the rest of us will be much better off.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am a Christian and at the beginning of Revelation says
Revelation 1:3
3Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

That Is how I look at it that it is ultimately a blessing, for we have read this passage and are now experiencing it with our lord. And as far as people not being saved, I believed that when the tribulations pick up more and more people will give their life to God. I see these as testing days and try my best to follow the lifestyle of Jesus.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Huh? Of all the people who should NOT feel fear at the prospect of the end of the world is Christians.

Why in the blazes would a Christian have FEAR of anything?

Our Lord is there to help us, guide us, He always keeps his promises, and, we've been given eternal life because of the sacrifice His Son made for US. All of US.

Christians, please, get off the fear wagon and walk upright in joy knowing you are saved, no matter what comes.

If you absolutely must have fear in your life, fine, have it, but not over something as trivial as the end of the world.

And no, that is not sarcasm.

peace

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
As with the knowledge of anything destructive coming our way, there is the sense of fear and hopelessness. I am a Christian, and I am seeing the signs all around me as they unfold just as the Bible said they would. I know Jesus will return to the Earth as He said He would. But I also know that I will be saved and be with Him. So while fear can sometimes be overwhelming, so can the comfort of eternal life when all is said and done. The days will not take the Christian by surprise but it will take the unsaved and unaware by surprise.

The world is experiencing the end times as is the Christian. The difference is how one reacts. God is saying, Wake up people ! Time is getting short. There will come a day that is the final day to be saved from the coming judgement of the Earth and it's inhabitants.

But it will take more earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, and economic and ecological catastrophes to get people to consider. This is what happened just before the great flood of Noahs days. So it happens today.

So while you fear, keep your heart on the salvation of the Lord Jesus and you'll get through this. We have hope where the rest of humanity does not and they will unfortunately be caught in the great tribulation of the Earth to come.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join