It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Borneo tribes: 30-year regime ‘has destroyed everything’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
www.survivalinternational.org...

More sad news.

Indigenous ways of life garner no respect any more.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
This just seems to me like ethnic cleansing, plain and simple. Nothing about this on our media over here though, which means that their cause won't get widespread public support. A result of that is that our government won't see
any votes in it, and so they'll probably say and do nothing. I mean, why rock the boat when our arms manufacturers
probably have multi-million contracts with the Malaysian government. Tells you all you need to know about our government's attitudes to human rights: quaint little niceties that mustn't be allowed to get in the way when threre's
a lot of money involved.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by superwurzel666

It is ethnic cleansing...I've tried to get involved by requesting documents from that particular website...but most people in the states don't even realize there are still tribal people in the world....unless they are watching a movie.

I put some documentation in our break room to find them torn apart and piled underneath TEEN magazine...

I'm not sure what to do, I'm fairly sure if I tried to organize anything for this cause noone would come.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Gooey6

As much as I hate to say it, you're probably right on that. Unfortunately popular culture, media and so on seem to
be designed to inculcate as much apathy and general docility as possible. Makes 'em easier to control...

But anyway, kudos to you for bringing this to our attention. Our local member of parliament is holding surgery in
the area next week, I believe. If so I'll try and go along and raise this issue with her, among other things.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

That would be pretty great, actually.

I just wish there was more interest in this kind of thing...I'm lost as to how to start a rally for something people are not even vaguely familiar with.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gooey6

I guess one way would be to go online and see if you can make some kind of contacts within the malaysian community in your country. There are bound to be some among them who have issues of their own with the malaysian government and would just love to have a reason to march outside your country's Malaysia embassy.

On the other hand, you don't wanna be responsible for starting a riot or something, so you'd have to be careful
about whom you invite.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

That's a good idea...but, how in the heck would you search for a certain type of person?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gooey6

Sometimes ethnic communities within western countries have various sites and forums of their
own, in order to give each other advice on how various things are done in the host country.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you manage to make contact with members of the Malay community, you may get to know a few over time. If you
live within a big city, some may even live close to you. You might even be able to meet up in person.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Unfortunatley I live in a more rural area...lots of country music and bigotry...I shall do my best tho.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Gooey6

I had to laugh at your "lots of country music and bigotry" line! Is rural America really like Dukes of Hazard? I thought that was just a stereotype. Never been there, and there are certain things about it I don't like, but I could say that about England too. I've met quite a few Americans over the years and most of them I have found very likeable. Whenever I find myself feeling a bit anti-American (usually because of some conservative type on TV), I always turn my mind to the ones I met, and those sentiments quickly vanish. Hell, you seem a decent guy yourself, so i've added you to my friends list.

Now as to the Malaysia topic, well it might be worth finding out how many there are in your nearest town or city. Even if they aren't from Sarawak, they might still care about it, and will certainly be able to provide more information about the area and its issues. It isn't only in remote parts this is happening. Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital has gotten too big and congested, so they're now building a whole new administrative city a few miles south, which will also displace a lot of villages and things, and these are ethnic Malays, not just remote
tribes, so this sort of thing seems to be going on in several parts of that country. Too many people and not enough money, land and resources to sustain them all.

top topics

join