It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking : 7.0 just hit Myanmar!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Here we go again.

Magnitude 7.0 - MYANMAR

Magnitude 7.0 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time

* Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 13:55:36 UTC
* Thursday, March 24, 2011 at 08:25:36 PM at epicenter

Location 20.898°N, 99.883°E
Depth 229.4 km (142.5 miles) set by location program
Region MYANMAR
Distances

* 111 km (69 miles) N (3°) from Chiang Rai, Thailand
* 155 km (96 miles) SW (219°) from Yunjinghong, Yunnan, China
* 252 km (156 miles) NNE (22°) from Chiang Mai, Thailand
* 434 km (270 miles) NW (319°) from VIENTIANE, Laos

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST= 14, Nph=0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0 sec, Gp=104°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=B
Source

* NOAA Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

Hopefully everyone is safe.

BREAKING earthquake is now reportedly being felt over much of Thailand including Bangkok, Chiang Mai and North East/Isaan

This is quite rare in this part of the world.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Burma?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   

link   
This is just great.
I wonder how much damage this is going to cause.

I also wonder how many of these EQs have to happen before the msm can no longer just write it off
any longer. Do they think EVERYONE is stupid? Do they think we aren't connecting the dots?

On a personal level,
after the past couple of months
My wife no longer thinks I am crazy so that's good.
Now if I can only convince my psychiatrist,

I hope the locals aren't affected by this.
The world can only deal with so many tradgedies at once.
Things are definately speeding up. It is almost as if time is passing faster and faster lately.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

link   
WOW!! Hope everyone is alright. Let everything begin or should I say it has already started. BE prepared people and open your eyes.. To many of us are still asleep!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
That was a big fat red square on USGS, I hope these people are well suited to deal with earthquakes seeing as how I know very little about this place.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I remember someone posting these elf wave graphs or something a few days ago and around china was almost fully blackened out. Was japan a start to a domino effect across ze world?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

not the first tragedy to strike this area in the past month -

www.mizzima.com...

"New Delhi (Mizzima) – Around 4,000 fishermen from the Pyapon area may have lost their lives in vicious storms that struck Irrawaddy Division last week, according to Win Kyaing, the general secretary of the Myanmar Fisheries Federation.

A Burmese boat which rescued survivors who were adrift at sea after a storm on March 15 in the harbor at Kawthaung in Taninsarim Division on Monday, March 21, 2011. A state-run newspaper reported that 230 survivors were given refuge in the local high school. Photos: Mizzima & NLD (Kawthaung branch)

A Burmese boat which rescued survivors who were adrift at sea after a storm on March 15 in the harbor at Kawthaung in Taninsarim Division on Monday, March 21, 2011. A state-run newspaper reported that 230 survivors were given refuge in the local high school. Photos: Mizzima & NLD (Kawthaung branch)
Win Kyaing said in a meeting held by the Myanmar Fisheries Federation on Tuesday that the 4,000 fishermen represent about 2,000 fishing rafts that were lost in storms from March 14 to 17, according to a reporter who attended the meeting.

The number of dead or missing is difficult to determine, said authorities."

Mod Note : Posting work written by others.– Please Review This Link.
edit on 25-3-2011 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-3-2011 by xpert11 because: Mod note , add external quote

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Wow that sucker was DEEP.

Hopefully this one isn't a precursor to a bigger one like happened in Japan. The distance it was felt is really large for that size, as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Depth 229.4 km (142.5 miles)

At this depth how severe would this be? Am I right in think that the shallower the quake is the more damaging it is, or is this the wrong way to think about these things?

Hope everyones ok though.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Being 229.4 km deep hopefully this one has little wide spread damage ...

Japan's quake was 24km deep? iirc

and the NZ quake was 5km.

fingers crossed...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Good find! SO was right ATS seems to always get the scoop way before the msm ever even hear about it. I bet that's not the case now though,considering we know they are watching now..... as i type this Fox is now reporting....oh the irony

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

link   
Double post as above.
edit on 24/3/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Killuminati2011
WOW!! Hope everyone is alright. Let everything begin or should I say it has already started. BE prepared people and open your eyes.. To many of us are still asleep!

Indeed. Mother Earth and/or Christ, whom ever you like more, is giving us a push, trying to make us see we are doing it all wrong. Sure we have all the high tech, cars, beautiful woman, jet skis and all things of the like, but there is NO LOVE. NO PEACE NO FREEDOM. Piece by piece earth is going to tear down every money hungry, war mongering gov or economy unless we act NOW before its to late.

Check out the Ring of Fire, a lot of activity today and Japan, God bless their souls, is still getting hammered with 4 to 6 pointers. I dont have a very good feeling about this weekend.

www.hewsweb.org...
edit on 24-3-2011 by AOA2012 because:

edit on 24-3-2011 by AOA2012 because: Peace be with All

link   
USGS shows 2 simultaneous 7.0 quakes

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Hope_for_reason

Unfortunately it's measured at the surface.

I hope nobody is hurt.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yeah.... Looks like one was deep. The other is measuring 10km... Bad Bad Bad.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
USGS site states that the first earthquake was at 10km and the second 7.0 earthquake hit at a deeper depth at 229km deep. A couple of C-class solar flares and one M-Class solar flare was fired within the past two days. Wonders if that had anything to do with this magnitude.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The USGS say two powerful quakes hit the area. That in itself is very worrisome as you would think the second would be an after shock, but it was a separate earthquake altogether.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join