It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Monongahela sea serpent...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Ever heard about this story?

On January 13, 1852, at latitude 3� 10'S and longitude 131� 50'W, a whaling ship, the Monongahela, found a sea monster, serpent like, longer than 100 ft.
Apparently, as they couldn�t take the whole animal on board, they cut its head and took it with them.
On they way back they met another ship, The Rebecca Sims, journeing to Bridgeport. The Monongahela captain, a man called Seabury, told the story to the Rebecca Sims� captain, who promised to report it at Bridgeport post office, as soon as he arrived, and apparently he did.

And what happened to the Monongahela and the monster�s head? That�s the question, because nobody ever heard about the ship again.
It is said that many years later the name board of the Monongahela had been discovered on the shore of the Aleutians.

Interesting story, I learnt about it when I was ten years old, and always intrigued me.

Here�s a link

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Peronemlin]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
haha i thought you ment the Manongahala river...

Interesting read. It would be amazing if they found the ship with the head in the box still.
nice find.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've heard of it, but only because of the ride called "the Monongahela monster" in Kennywood rollercoaster park near Pittsburgh, where that river runs.

It must be the same thing, as it was a green serpent ride.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I've heard a story (a few of them actually, although I can barelly remember one now) about one of them sea serpents.
I've heard it from a guy who was in back then a Soviet Navy (TOF, or SF can't really remember) anyway, a friend of his friend was stationed on a ship (don't know the name) somewhere in... hell, I can't remember anymore, wheather it was an Atlantic Ocean, or Pacific, I don't think it really matters now anyway, he along with another sailor had to do their guard duty on the deck till morning (0400).. So, they were telling jokes and stuff because there was nothing to do (they had to patrol the deck every 40 minutes, or so), when the other guy heard some strange noice in the water, some kind of a splash, and a "Shhhh" sound (like the snakes make), so, he went there to look overboard, and the big ass snake came out of the water and grabed him, and then went back into the water....the guy that stayed alive was #-scared, he couldn't talk for about a year and a half... Then started talking about a big snake, and how it dragged his friend into the water.

Believe it or not, but there were a few more incidents like that, but I can barely remember this one,'cause it's been over 10 years since I've heard it.

have a good one.

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
there's been some very interesting sea serpent stories (mostly in the past not to many of late except for that recent film of champ, that was on the news and web, but then pulled, I believe there's a thread started on ats with photos from that somewhere) anyway some of my favorites are in books I've read., one in time/life on monsters ., where a road crew working on the road near Newport beach , california saw a "giant serpent around 100 ft long" swimming slowly toward the shore where some folks were, and the road crew were yelling at them to look, and also made a report to their supervisors... also one on (source crytomundo "see link" about where a sea serpent go's after a couple of guys in the fog, who were trying to survive a sinking in the gulf of mexico, (like the above post really weird ) link www.cryptomundo.com...

last but not least, I checked to see if there was still a web page on the San Francisco bay sea serpents, that a couple of brothers saw and really went out of their way to bring their story to the public, its been on TV, and studied extensively here is that link : home.access4less.net...(source=home.access4less.net/~sfseaserpent)

one sea serpent that I thought might finally be proved a few years back was the "cadborosaurus", because they had "real serious" scientist looking into to the reports, with camera's set up and all kinds of research going on..but nothing ever was found. I still enjoy these stories and reports..and look forward to any new information that comes out.

[edit on 16-2-2008 by RUFFREADY]

posted on Feb, 16 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
There's a detailed book on the Monongahela case:

Here Be Monsters

Seems to take the documentary evidence further if nothing else.

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
it has been discused previously , this thread is one of the threads

if you check my second reply [ page 2 ] i scanned the times refferences

hope that helps

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
it has been discused previously , this thread is one of the threads

if you check my second reply [ page 2 ] i scanned the times refferences

hope that helps

new topics

top topics