It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uniform Wear Banned Off Base in Europe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I did watch that video the whole way through. I didn't find it in bad taste as you had feared but then again I might not understand the underlying message there. If there was one I mean. It seemed ok to me and I enjoyed the music. I was going to post a video as a tribute to them but I feared the same thing that you did.

So, I'll post it here so I can thinly veil it as being pertinent to the discussion about uniforms being banned off base. It'll make for some crazy nights for sure. Hey, did you know about that Japanese metal band back in the eighties?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Hey who actually watched the Lawerence Welk video I posted yesterday in the Japan thread all the way through and caught Lawerence making a pitch for the American Cancer Society

What... are you kidding me?

You gotta know that I am going to watch 'ole Lawrence Welk when he gets posted.

I was loving that hand tailored, burnt sienna, slightly orange suit that he was wearing.

It was the total jam. I was wishing that I had one of those.
I actually do have a hand tailored, blue jean suit from the 70's that was my Dad's.

I feel like a big old pimp when I get to dress up and go out in a blue jean freaking suit.

I think that I could get away with being an American abroad if I had a suit like that.
edit on 3/24/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcat99
The Uk has always had this rule especially during the troubles in N Ireland

Well they have and they haven't,

The importance of wearing a uniform off base is usually directly proportional to the current threat level, ie it's at the discretion of those at the base or higher up who are in on the current info.

Living on and off bases as a kid, and seeing a lot of military types day to day in the 80's and 90's I could pretty much tell what the current threat level was just by my walk to school, guys wearing civvies or uniforms driving around in cars, weather it was police or military police doing the plod around the married quarters and weather the MP's has big sticks or when one of them had an SA80. ---- edit! of course lets not forget all the dad's 'teaching' their sons how to check under the car for devices and then how to start the car to warm it up
- funnily enough my dad was always keen for me to do that when it was very cold

And when I was a cadet that was the same too, some months we were told we must wear uniform when coming to the meetings and the officers got angry at us all changing in the toilets late, or other times we were told to come in civvies... One time when we had to take a mini bus somewhere up country we were told to be in uniform, and then we had to change out into civvies cos something or other happened in the news that week and they didn't want a mini bus of uniforms going up the motorway.

It comes and goes like that.
edit on 24/3/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/3/2011 by Now_Then because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Hi. I don`t think "The Cosa Nostra" go around stealing US Servicemen`s wallets. La Cosa Nostra is the Mafia

And the Red Brigade have been inactive for yeeeeears.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

New Zealand as well!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by exroyalnavy

I was just using those as examples... if it's not one terrorist groups it's another, and if it's not the mob it's some other criminal group. We were ordered to even stay out of the piano bars, because of the threat of someone slipping service members a mickey and then robbing them. "Hey sailor, can I buy you a roofie-colada?"

Back when I was in the service we were always hearing about nightclubs being bombed because of large numbers of US service members partying inside.

It's just common sense you don't want your military members in uniform congregating in public and making easy targets of themselves.
edit on 24-3-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
US military members used to be able to own their own firearms in Germany.

The BX ran a gun sales program and you could use your charge card and buy a 50 caliber Desert Eagle pistol at the gun range.

Then Germany said Americans can't own private firearms in Germany anymore....our pansy Congress gave in......

And our military members have been targeted ever since. Everybody knows they're unarmed now.

I wouldn't serve today in our military. God says suicide is a sin.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

A friend of mine just got back from 2 weeks in France.. she met up with her 'friends".. they were yucking it up having a jolly time until she broke out, with pride, a few pictures of her brother wearing his US Army uniform.

She couldn't understand why foreigners could question family sanity for letting him serve the "new nazi forces", they asked how many children he's killed, if he enjoyed being an occupier.. one of her girlfriends took her aside and explained that US wars & troops weren't very popular... "you're not in America".

She was quite shocked by the whole experience.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Sailor Sam

Sorry Amigo, I knew I was forgetting at least one other nation. My apologies to all Kiwi's!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Liberia's official language is English too, since it was Abraham Lincoln who founded the nation for freed slaves during the Civil War.

It's official currency is also the United States Dollar.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Proto that's not true it was founded by the American Colonization Society in 1827 and gained Independence on July 16, 1847.

I really wish people would check their facts before posting.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Proto that's not true it was founded by the American Colonization Society in 1827 and gained Independence on July 16, 1847.

Hmm, kinda weird but why are you replying to your own post and in the third person?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I don't even feel comfortable speaking English in Norway. So I can only imagine how it'd be wearing a USAF/ARMY/other branch uniform out in public. You have no clue how many "rude looks" I get from non-western immigrants when they hear me talking English with my American buddies.

So I don't blame 'em!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I keep telling you to check your facts Proto, maybe you will listen up now.

You could say with earthquakes, rumblings, volcanos and hurricanes that are happening all over the world this may be the least of our worries.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Marines don't seem to like people wearing their uniforms off base, or without reason. My brother is in the Marines.. and takes extreme pride in the uniform he wears.. And he won't wear it off base unless going to or from work.

I'm surprised this hasn't come sooner.
I used to routinely see people in the Army walking around in fatigues and such..

Personally I'd think it's an insult to your branch if you walk around in a uniform without a reason to have it on..

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by Josephus23

I wonder if the US Army gear is Made in China?

US prison industries (Unicor primarily) make military uniforms. Prison slave labor is cheaper than Chinese (nearly slave) labor.

To the best of my knowledge the statistics in that Vicky Pelaez article are fabricated. It came up a few months back on ATS, back then , it was I posting it - long story short - somene called me on it , I followed up on it and they were right.
Fabricated for effect I`m afraid . No sources for those figures.

The same Vicky Pelaez whom along with her husband Mikhail Vasenkov and eight others , all accused of being Russian spies and were deported to Russia in a spy swap last year.

edit on 24-3-2011 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

i would love to know where people get there information, this isn't a pop at you, you must be just ill informed but Ive been in the British army for 9 years now and not once have i been told i cant wear my uniform outside any off the camps i have been posted to and im also currently posted in Germany, i go to and from work in uniform i also will go shopping straight from with my family in uniform in the city center however yes in norther Ireland it is banned you never wear uniform outside of the barracks.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Hmm, kinda weird but why are you replying to your own post and in the third person?

Because I believe Proto is the only member who could actually beat Proto in a debate, but clearly Proto was able to quickly intimidate Proto into not even trying!

Other answers included:

Because I can

I am stone cold insane

I have way to much time on my hands

I am a narciscist

I love talking to myself

And I am desperate for my own attention.

Thanks for asking.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Personally I'd think it's an insult to your branch if you walk around in a uniform without a reason to have it on..
reply to post by Miraj

can you please explain why its an insult?????

its called pride and i wear my uniform with pride!!!!!!

is a postman walking around in his uniform an insult to all postmen?

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by simples

I think it depends if he is armed and in the process of going postal?

I have to say though postal uniforms are not very flattering to the wearer, and I really suggest an all female postal agency wearing something similiar to Hooter's uniforms.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join