It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uniform Wear Banned Off Base in Europe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Uniform Wear Banned Off Base in Europe

www.military.com

March 24, 2011
Stars and Stripes|by John Vandiver
STUTTGART, Germany -- U.S. troops in Europe are now forbidden to wear their uniforms off post “to the maximum extent possible,” including daily commutes to and from the office, as part of an effort to prevent servicemembers from standing out in a crowd, according to U.S. European Command.

The new policy, which comes three weeks after a deadly shooting outside Frankfurt Airport that left two Airmen dead and two badly wounded, takes effect immediately. The EUCOM mandate affects all Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines serving in the Eu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
An interesting sign of the times as American soldiers in Europe are forbidden now from wearing their uniforms off base in the wake of a recent deadly bus attack on U.S. Soldiers in Germany and mounting criticism internationally regarding the latest U.S. Military actions in Libya.

While President Obama is reported to be making efforts to pressure European allies for one of them to take the lead role in the Libya Campaign, while supporters of the effort insist it’s a United Nations and NATO Operation there is no getting around that the operation in Libya is being spearheaded by the US’s African Command headquartered in Germany with no clear outside chain of command, or mission goal.

With the Libyans still believed to be behind deadly nightclub bombings in Germany back in the early 1980’s it would seem fears run high that U.S. soldiers throughout Europe might become targets for reprisal attacks on U.S. personnel.

While a steady diet of pro-military action propaganda is polling with mixed results from as many as 78% of Americans favoring the action in Libya to as few as 48% in favor, one thing is fairly clear the world over, with the US taking the lead role in what is the third ongoing military conflict in addition to Iraq and Afghanistan and additional incursions into Pakistan and that is the increasingly militant nature of our foreign policy.

Is it time to rethink our foreign policy debacles and wars for oil, opium and water reserves when our troops are now apparently in fear of danger of reprisals even in allied nations and have to hide their personal involvement in the US Military?

Some would think so.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
The Marines have been banned from wearing uniforms off base for years, mostly as a precaution to this very reason. It was always just a matter of time before the other services followed.

Expect to see this implemented Stateside soon as well.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn
The Marines have been banned from wearing uniforms off base for years, mostly as a precaution to this very reason. It was always just a matter of time before the other services followed.

Expect to see this implemented Stateside soon as well.

I am not a big fan of the military but it seems a rather sad indictment of the profession that once led those in it to proudly wear rank, insignias and decorations as a display of who and what they are and their accomplisments.

Normally in society it's just the criminals who have to disguise themselves and what they do for a living.

Hard to believe after all these thousands of years murder for the state is now falling out of style!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
They better start having our service members and even tourists start speaking the native language too because anyone who speaks English in a foreign country will become the next targets just as easily. Only Britain, The USA and Australia and I think South Africa have English as their native languages. Makes it easy to target even without uniforms!
There maybe other countries that have English as the native tongue but I can't think of them right now!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Interesting.. A sensible precaution.. However.. Regardless of how they dress when abroad americans whether civilian or military stick out - always easy to spot them ..

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
The Uk has always had this rule especially during the troubles in N Ireland

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Interesting.. A sensible precaution.. However.. Regardless of how they dress when abroad americans whether civilian or military stick out - always easy to spot them ..

You are so right about that.

I think it's because all the Made in China clothes we wear!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Interesting....
When rememberance day is up I see many Vets walking around in malls, shopping centers and anywhere with a crowd. They wear the uniform and all medals that they got proudly
I mostly mean elderly vets, I guess some of them are alone and only do this hoping some will stop them, speak to them and give them some attention.

Though I do not think that this will never come to the U.S. or Canada
U.S. wants a police state, if anything they would want more people in uniform walking around

And Canada, well Canada doesn't have much to fear, just the other day Canadian troops refused to bomb Libyan targets because there were would have been civilian casualties.
As soon as I read that I thought this is why unmanned drones should be banned, but I digress.

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
While a steady diet of pro-military action propaganda is polling with mixed results from as many as 78% of Americans favoring the action in Libya to as few as 48% in favor,

Those are very depressing stats my friend

Those who favor the actions....... they have no idea what they are supporting!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

With regard to language, I think its only right and fair that if you visit a nation as part of a medium to long term posting, no matter wether civillian or military, that one has a duty to gain understanding of local language and dialect. There are many reasons to do this, inclusive of saftey and security, but also a much simpler and basic reason, and that is respect, for the ground one treads, and those who trod it before one, no matter who they were or what nation they were from.
I remember when I was still in secondary school, we went to France for a day trip one year, and to Germany (as well as Holland for an hour or two) on another year. We were only either place for a maximum of 18 hours, but I noted in that time that the few who could communicate with the locals fluently , were regarded with more respect and appreciation, than those who had failed to learn French or German. People appreciate the effort of learning to communicate in local dialects , and take it as a token of the visitors respect for thier land and thier culture.
I think its imperative to show that respect, for civillians yes, but especialy for troops on station.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
They better start having our service members and even tourists start speaking the native language too because anyone who speaks English in a foreign country will become the next targets just as easily. Only Britain, The USA and Australia and I think South Africa have English as their native languages. Makes it easy to target even without uniforms!
There maybe other countries that have English as the native tongue but I can't think of them right now!

Zindo

Personally I think that's fear inducing nonsense. Not everyone is out to get you y'know.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You are so right about that.

I think it's because all the Made in China clothes we wear!

I wonder if the US Army gear is Made in China?
If so, then I would think that adopting a "tear out the tags policy" would be in tall order.

This is an interesting development, very interesting, but hardly surprising.

People, universally, do not like Americans. I know we were talking about this in a PM, but I was on an English paper's message board the other day,(Guardian, Telegraph, etc...) and it was ALL US bashing.
And how can I really blame them?

The entire of the Middle East, and apparently now soon Northern Africa, both will and are suffering unnecessarily at our hands.
Horrible foreign policy.
At least now they are kind of admitting to it.

S & F. Another great find Proto.
edit on 3/24/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Not everyone is is true but for the ones that are it sure makes it easy doesn't it? Regardless of the reasons why, English speaking peoples seem to be targeted like never before. This didn't happen 20 years ago. I was simply making the point that speaking the native language if you are able makes a lot of sense for many reasons. Safety being one, and the other being a better experience when abroad!

TrueBrit,
My above statement pertains to your post also!!

Zindo

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

This really isn't much different than when I was stationed In Germany. We were not allowed to wear ACUs off post normally, except when travelling from housing areas to kasernes. Thing is, people didn't always adhere to it and it wasn't strictly enforced. USAF must have been more relaxed with their policies. We were always told don't wear ACUs at the airport. When we travelled back and forth from the CENTCOM AOR, we were segregated away from the terminals holding civiliains at Frankfurt or we transited through Ramstein. When going on leave we had to wear civilian clothes. So this isn't really that big of a change.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

I wonder if the US Army gear is Made in China?

US prison industries (Unicor primarily) make military uniforms. Prison slave labor is cheaper than Chinese (nearly slave) labor.

Wearing military uniforms off base in Europe has almost always been a rule. I was stationed in Gaeta Italy for a while, couldn't wear uniforms off base, we were banned from entering sections of the local community, always had to travel with 2-3 friends (never alone), etc.

This is probably a response to the Kosovan that attacked the military members on a bus.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

US prison industries (Unicor primarily) make military uniforms. Prison slave labor is cheaper than Chinese (nearly slave) labor.

Wearing military uniforms off base in Europe has almost always been a rule. I was stationed in Gaeta Italy for a while, couldn't wear uniforms off base, we were banned from entering sections of the local community, always had to travel with 2-3 friends (never alone), etc.

This is probably a response to the Kosovan that attacked the military members on a bus.

That is such a great link.
Why am I not surprised to see the US Armed Forces using slaves labor to make their goods?
I guess that Operation Paperclip did have the effect of carrying over several of the efficient, but brutally cruel, methods used by the Nazi's to employ slave labor.

And also, I had not heard of the soldier who was attacked on the bus.

Could you provide a link for that?
I wold really like to read how it all played out.

I don't have a television, so I don't do the 24 hour news thing.
This is the first I had heard of it.
edit on 3/24/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Sure, the link is Two Killed in Possible Terrorist Attack on U.S. Military Bus. The suspect is a Kosovan. A similar incident to this happened almost ten years ago too (Podujevo bus bombing).

It Italy the typical reason for not wearing military uniforms off base have to do with the local terrorist groups that operate from there, like the "Red Brigade". But with the US invading Muslim country after Muslim country, factor in the chance of terrorist reprisals from groups connected to Jihadists. Don't forget criminal groups that go after service members for their wallets, like La Cosa Nostra. Eastern European crime gangs are all over Europe and are brutal, Belarus, Ukraine, the low countries, there is still a psychological "wall" between east and west.

So yeah, there's still plenty of reasons why service members are told not to wear their uniforms off base!

edit on 24-3-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Soon enough service members will be required to wear disguises to interact with the public in regards to any type of non professional venue. They will be required to keep their professions confidential and put up fronts so as to fool anyone who engages them. Precarious times for these fellows. This will all lead to only one thing and I hope I am cognizant of the facts I have posted here when faced with the reality of this mess!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

I am a big fan of spy craft, the arts of deception, disguises and stealth.

Because I know a lot of people would accuse me of being a Nazi, I disguise the fact that I am actually a 6'2 blonde buff Sweedish Ski instructor, brilliantly by appearing to be a 5'8 pudgy brunnette with a receding hairline.

Nobody knows the real me.

Hey who actually watched the Lawerence Welk video I posted yesterday in the Japan thread all the way through and caught Lawerence making a pitch for the American Cancer Society?

edit on 24/3/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

American Apparel Inc. makes US military uniforms, not Unicor. Unicor makes our furniture.

American Apparel, Inc. engages in the manufacture and supply of military apparel and uniforms for men and women in the United States. It offers coats, shirts, slacks, and trousers. The company was incorporated in 1987 and is based in Selma, Alabama.

investing.businessweek.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join