It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Marriage In California Wont Resume For Now, Appeals Court Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Gay Marriage In California Wont Resume For Now, Appeals Court Rules

www.jorbit.com

Gay marriage wont be allowed to resume until state and federal appeals courts decide the fate of Proposition 8, the voter initiative that limited marriage to heterosexual couples, three federal judges ruled Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.jorbit.com

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
gay marrige? they are also human beings, why so late to create laws for them.
"It is decidedly unjust and unreasonable to expect California's gay and lesbian couples to put their lives on hold and suffer daily discrimination as second-class citizens while their U.S. District Court victory comes to its final conclusion," said federation founder and board president Chad Griffin.
An attorney for the Proposition 8 supporters, Andrew Pugno, said the judges' ruling on the stay should keep it in force until the case is finally decided.
what is the final decision? waiting for that.

www.jorbit.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by usanews

People should be able to marry whoever they want
It's none of our business

Adoption?
That's another story though

I am strongly against gays being able to adopt
Kids are for hetero couples only
This has nothing to do with religion, I am an agnostic

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by usanews

Hopefully a decision will be made soon and for same sex marriages to be legal again. I feel sorry for everyone who has to live in legal limbo.

You are welcome to come to Canada though. We have legal same sex marriages AND they can be performed in a church for those who are religious.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Gays can get married.

They can hold there own ceremony in a church, or some place. Why should anyone, gay or straight need a license to get married? Is getting married illegal? I don't think it is. So they should stop trying to get permission from the government to do something that isn't even illegal and just do it.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Jeez, obviously you've never met homosexual parents or had a friend with homosexual parents. There's nothing better or worse about them.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Gays can get married.

They can hold there own ceremony in a church, or some place. Why should anyone, gay or straight need a license to get married? Is getting married illegal? I don't think it is. So they should stop trying to get permission from the government to do something that isn't even illegal and just do it.

Because there are legal rights associated with a lawful marriage. Anyone can get married, but only heterosexuals have the right to shared funds, family integration (allowed to visit a sick partner in the hospital), and tax breaks.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Dendro

You have a very cool avatar my friend.

I actually tend to think that the Church should decide who it wants to marry.

If the Church either does or does not want to marry people, then that is their decision.

I don't know why the government feels like it needs to tell people what they can or can not do all of the time.
And to be made to have a license for a church marriage is patently ridiculous.

The main concern that the gay crowd seems to have is that of the legal process regarding insurance, wills, living wills, etc....
Things that historically have been reserved for those marriages of a heterosexual origin.

I don't know hardly anyone who opposes recognizing their legal rights as a couple.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

You have quite a handsome avatar yourself.

Churches have complete discretion over which marriage ceremonies they will ordain but many (at least in BC) are very accepting and open to doing same sex ceremonies. The United denomination is 100% accepting of the gay community.

I'm not religious myself and when I get married I'm going to probably do a civil ceremony unless I end up with someone religious in which case I will respect their ceremony/wishes.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by usanews

the gays and lesbians can be joined in a civil union,
but a MARRIAGE is defined as between a man and a woman...its been that way for thousands of years...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

This thread is about the Legalization of Gay Marriage, and not about ANYTHING else in relation to the gay community.

Any off-topic or rude posts will be removed, without warning. Further violations will result in post bans of at least 72 hours.

Do not reply to this post.

Thank You

~Keeper
ATS Moderator

edit on 3/24/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by usanews

the gays and lesbians can be joined in a civil union,
but a MARRIAGE is defined as between a man and a woman...its been that way for thousands of years...

Not necessarily true. Marriage in our society has traditionally been defined as between a man and a woman, but in the end it still just means a joining of two parties. I could say this:
"It was a perfect marriage of two metals, creating a compound much stronger than before."

While the US used to be founded on Christianity and Blue Laws, we are no longer so blind-sighted. We have seen the transformation of languages and cultures for thousands of years, yet we can't allow people to have marriages, called a civil union even though there are many spiritual/religious homosexuals.

Also, the majority of states still do not recognize even civil unions, so both your points are fairly moot. There are horrible people who don't even want homosexuals to have a semblance of anything similar to marriage. I assume it's founded in some supernatural belief that the universe will fall apart or something.

I really hope they get rid of Prop 8. It was a crime that it managed to get approved in the first place, because however much the popular opinion may seem to want something, if it infringes on the God-given and constitutional right of equal protection under law (in this case, protection for your union), then it should not be allowed to make it past the suggestion phase. We are an intelligent country! We just need to use our brains sometimes.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Originally posted by Varemia

if it infringes on the God-given and constitutional right of equal protection under law (in this case, protection for your union), then it should not be allowed to make it past the suggestion phase. We are an intelligent country! We just need to use our brains sometimes.

Quite correct.
The Founding Fathers were highly concerned with the tyranny of the masses.

Both the Federalists and the Anti-Federalists were in complete agreement on this issue.

This was the leverage that Thomas Jefferson used to force the hand of the Federalists and get the first ten amended to the constitution.

I think that it's the Federalist Paper number 10, which was supposedly authored by James Madison, that discusses this very same issue at length.

To the FF's....

Straight Democracy = Bad
(pun only kind of intended)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dendro
reply to post by usanews

Hopefully a decision will be made soon and for same sex marriages to be legal again. I feel sorry for everyone who has to live in legal limbo.

Hopefully.

I am focusing on the positive - - that "they" want to make sure this is a final decision for same sex marriage and can't be overturned.

top topics

join