It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(news) Train Derails in Turkey - 37 Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
A high-speed train derailment in Turkey has killed 36 people. Reports put the number of injured at 68. It is not yet known what caused the train to derail.
Early government reports put the death toll as high as 139, but that number was lowered without any further information released.

Dozens of people are thought to have died or been injured after a high-speed train derailed in north-west Turkey.
Hospital sources said 30 were killed, but local officials said they feared the death toll could be as high as 100.

"The scene is one of carnage... There are people lying all over the place," journalist Oguz Dizer was quoted as telling NTV television.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 24-7-2004 by deeprivergal]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
FNC is now reporting the death toll at 30 with 40 injuries.

Fox News

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yahoo, and the BBC link that deep placed are reporting 128 deaths..... This don't look so good.

Link To Yahoo Story

[edit on 22-7-2004 by ImAlreadyPsycho]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Experts said that that train was unsafe because those rails were build on 1890... It's beed discussed over a week in Turkey.And this accident unfortunately finished the discussions...
There is a very big carelessness here.
139 people are not dead they are murdered ...

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Turkish government crisis center revises death toll in train derailment from 139 to 36

The train was one of a number of new express trains which came into service last month, offering faster trips between Ankara and Istanbul following renovation on existing tracks. But critics had said the infrastructure was not suitable for such a project.

Turkey train derailment death toll revised

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Riwka]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Just in on BBC NEWS Alerts:
Death toll revised to at least 38.

Hoaks

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
According to this BBC article:

news.bbc.co.uk...

The death toll has been revised to "at least 36".

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
CNN says that speed was the cause. The train was going too fast?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Yeah but why instantly conclude it's terrorist related and post it up here?

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
3 men are being charged with negligence and carelessness in the death of the 37 people killed on the Turkish train that derailed.

A Turkish court has charged three men over the deadly derailment of a showcase fast train amid increasing outrage at the government over the loss of 37 lives in one of the country's worst rail disasters.

english.aljazeera.net... DB3FEA5BAB.htm

posted on Jun, 17 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   
That's a shame. I was stationed in Turkey a couple years ago, and I can attest firsthand that safety is certainly not high on anyone's priority. Trust me... its insane to see what they do. For example, a "dulmus" (spelling?) has like 13 seats... the last time I rode one, I counted 31 people PLUS the driver in this small vanpool. These types of wrecks occur because their safety is anything but regulated and inspected. I kinda miss that place.

top topics

join