It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marcellus Shale ruining state parks.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by ladymerelda

Here is a map of the Ramapo fault line running through southeastern Pennsylvania. The link below it, offers detailed information on it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0c98a10a562.gif[/atsimg]

Map Source

Brief Excerpt:

The Ramapo Fault System

The Ramapo Fault is part of a system of north-east striking, southeast-dipping faults, which are mapped from southeastern New York to eastern Pennsylvania and beyond. These faults were active at different times during the evolution of the Appalachians, especially in the Mesozoic when they served as border faults to the Newark Basin and other extensional basins formed by the opening of the Atlantic Ocean approximately 200 million years ago.

edit on 4/10/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

THANK YOU!!

I have been looking around for some time now and could not find a good one for PA. mostly New Jersey.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Thank you for contacting the office of Senator Pat Toomey. The Senator appreciates your taking time to share your thoughts with him. Please be assured that constituent correspondence will receive a reply

From my email, I asked many questions about fracking, safety issues, environmental impact.
See what response I get from our Senator.

posted on Apr, 10 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
here is a short video someone brought to my attention.

It is the president of a local news station (wgal) and how he thinks there should be a tax on the drillers!
(sorry can't figure out how to embed, its not a youtube vid)
editorial.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by mugger

I wonder if you will get a reply! I sure hope you do. please let us know what it says!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
guys its just to much. PA is screwed.

today this is the big news. well it was its been hidden away this evening.

Officials said thousands of gallons of fluid leaked over farm land and into a creek from a natural gas well in Bradford County. Now there is a massive operation underway to contain the spill of drilling fluids. The rupture near Canton happened late Tuesday night, contaminating nearby land and creeks. The blowout happened on the Morse family farm in LeRoy Township outside Canton, a farming community. Chesapeake Energy officials said a piece of equipment on the well failed. Now a major response is underway to stop the leak of frack fluid and get control of the well. Water is gushing from the earth at the Chesapeake well pad. It has been all hands on deck to put a stop to the leak of fracking fluid that, according to company officials, spilled thousands and thousands of gallons into nearby land and waterways. "We've been able to limit the flow. We're still doing additional work to regain full control," said Brian Grove of Chesapeake Energy. He added there is no telling yet how much of that extremely salty water mixed with chemicals and sand has impacted the nearby Towanda Creek, but no gas has escaped into the air.

link to article w/video
the man in the video acts like its just part of life. he accepts it. that is wrong. they act like chesapeake is great.
towando creek drains into the susquehanna river. where A LOT of people get drinking water from. including myself. It has a high salt content. and with the next story I share, you will see what that entails.

High salt (bromide) + chlorine = trihalomethanes . they cause cancer

and some almost good news (baby steps in the right direction)

Citing potentially unsafe drinking water, Pennsylvania is calling on companies drilling in the Marcellus Shale natural gas formation to stop taking wastewater to the 15 treatment plants that accept it by May 19.

more on that here

wow just wow. I am just in awe of all of this. thats enough for today. If you have anything to add, please do!

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Up here in NW PA some of the trout streams are being impacted. Now all of us Pennsylvanians know how important trout fishing is to us. First day of trout is pretty much a holiday. Regardless where I am a lot of the water either runs directly or indirectly into Lake Erie or French Creek. The French Creek watershed is listed as one of the most biodiverse ecosystems in the entire Country if not the continent.

People were noticing that some of the streams, one in particular, were cloudy with "mud". Being concerned because it can affect the reproduction and lifes of aquatic life, some people contacted the people that needed to be contacted on the issue and these concerned people were told that all is well. We all know that this is Bull#.
edit on 20-4-2011 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Fox News Channel features the Marcellus Shale region of northern PA

Towanda, PA

America's Energy Boom: What Is Fracking?

Apr 20, 2011

Extracting fossil fuels from shale reserves

Click for Fox News Video Link
edit on 4/20/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ladymerelda

Heres a follow up to the news article you posted. This, from WETM-TV 18 News out of Elmira New York.

WETM-TV
Natural Gas Well Blowout
Published: 4/20 6:55 pm

Bradford County, Pa. - The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection said they’re working to kill the leaking well in LeRoy Township Thursday afternoon. DEP officials said the well is still leaking small amounts of fluid that are being contained as the DEP vacuums the fluid up. Rubber and plastic materials will be put down the well, followed by mud to seal it off, according to DEP officials. The agency has taken water samples from area wells and ground water to be tested for any possible contamination; the results from those samples aren’t back in yet. DEP officials said two of the six families in the area have chosen to leave their homes. The DEP could not confirm how much fluid leaked from the well. Calls to Chesapeake Energy, who owns the well, were not immediately returned.

They say that's when frack fluids began to spill out. The fluid is a mixture of water and salt. The material went into a near-by field and the Towanda Creek. DEP officials are monitoring the situation. Crews are trying to pour mud inside the well to get the spill under control. No injuries were reported, however because of the fluid mixture, officials say this could be an environmental concern. County - A natural gas blowout occurred early Wednesday morning in Leroy Township, contaminating a near-by creek. Emergency management officials in Bradford County say the blowout happened around two in the morning when something broke inside a Chesapeake Energy gas well on State Route 3308.

SOURCE with Video

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Breaking News from WETM-TV in Elmira NY -

Posted on their FaceBook Page:

WETM 18 News

After a natural gas blowout in Bradford County yesterday, Chesapeake Energy has now suspended fracking throughout Pennsylvania until they can determine a cause.

From WETM-TV's Website:

CANTON, Pa. (AP) -

A natural gas company has suspended "fracking" at all of its wells throughout Pennsylvania. This will last until they figure out the cause of a spill in Bradford County. Chesapeake Energy Corp. said Thursday that crews have significantly reduced the flow of chemical-laced water from its out-of-control well near Canton in Leroy Township. Spokesman Brian Grove says that the exact cause of Tuesday night's breach is unknown, but that it's located in a wellhead connection. Thousands of gallons of drilling fluids were spilled. They escaped containment, crossed over farm fields and went into a stream. Grove says initial testing of area waterways has shown "minimal impact, if any." Fracking is short for hydraulic fracturing and involves injecting chemicals into the ground to release natural gas.

I wonder if this will end up putting a skid mark in Chesapeake Energy's trousers?
edit on 4/21/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Been working 12yr days, I have seen the news. It is disappointing. Trust the DEP as the BP oil spill?
I would look to indeopendent testing which will not happene unless you can afford it.

On a positive note, I heard on my local radio station, that no more waste water from fracking will be disposed into water treatment facilities after this year. From the report, there are 15 companies/and or sites, that will have to comply by next year. If i recall, bromide mixed with chlorine is a very big problem. I'm to tired to look it up.
I have a friend who has worked with waste water treatments facilities for 20yrs, the fracking waste should not be disposed into them, it can not me fully cleaned!
Search Lehighy Valley news/Allentown or WAEB radio for the report..

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join