It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marcellus Shale ruining state parks.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
this is my first thread (sans intro) and I have had enough with this marcellus shale business.

here is a link to the latest news on an ongoing wronging to my state. so many other states have been affected by natural gas drilling. I understand it brings jobs to the area (or so thats the only argument i hear in favor of it) but at what cost?

www.pennlive.com...

Business and industry representatives outnumber environmental advocates by more than 3 to 1 on the governor’s new 30-member Marcellus Shale Advisory Commission. The commission, which will meet for the first time Friday, is supposed to supply Gov. Tom Corbett a blueprint on how to maximize the potential of natural gas reserves in the Marcellus Shale while still being good environmental stewards.
Yet the balance of interests on the commission is tipped heavily in favor of the drilling industry, critics say, at a time when concern over the environmental impacts of drilling is higher than ever. The governor’s commission has 13 representatives from business and industry, while four come from environmental and conservation groups.

it seems like in my state. (Pennsylvania) everyday there is something about them making headlines. never any good news.

soon after taking office Gov. Corbett overturned a moratorium on drilling in our states parks. I love the outdoors. I grew up in the outdoors. Fishing, Hiking, etc. Who is going to go now? It will all be tarnished in the name of profit.

supposedly the revenue from the drilling will "save" our states parks. I don't see what is being saved now when no one will want to go fishing in a creek, lake, etc where all the fish have died due to fracking chemicals.

Corbett — saying he wants to make Pennsylvania the Texas of the natural gas boom — calls for a “friction-free process” whenever the government interacts with “job creators.” What’s more, he gives new powers to the Secretary of Community and Economic Development “to expedite any permit or action pending in any agency where the creation of jobs may be impacted.” That would give C. Alan Walker, a former coal executive, the power to override Environmental Protection and other agencies if he thinks they are slowing Marcellus expansion.

www.pennlive.com...

although cant say we didnt see this one coming. another interesting article.

Republican Gov. Tom Corbett, who took office less than six weeks ago, received nearly $1 million in campaign contributions from the gas industry. Insisting that that will not influence policy decisions, Corbett pledged during his campaign to oppose any tax on Marcellus Shale production and has said he supports the expansion of drilling on state forest lands
www.observer-reporter.com...

I know from reading on other threads particularly this one
earthquake swarm in arkansas..... Now its a little far-fetched. but Pa does have a fault line. The ramapo fault line. what if what is going on down there starts to happen here? its like pressing fast forward on the faults.

If anyone has more info on the Ramapo fault line (in particular the PA area of it-as it runs through New Jersey & New York) please share, as I can't find to much pertaining to mainly PA.

I urge those that have not watched the movie gasland, to please do, as it will do a much better job of explaining how all of this works. for not just PA but the whole country.

it makes me want to leave this state...but go where. the whole earth is ruined it seems. I feel a little hopeless, how do we fight these guys? are hands are tied it seems, for now. but I do hope one day they find a way to drill without ruining everything

****also sorry this post is so long. had a lot I decided to rant about, and I wanted to provide more than a fleeting thought***

please share your opinions and ideas! thanks!

ps - mods if this isn't in the right forum, please point it in the right direction -thanks

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I'm in PA too, a life long Republican and this guy is making my blood boil. The actions of multiple newly elected officials across the country have made me rething my long held political loyalties. I am disgusted that this guy will not even tax the shale. The revenues generated will be short term. The "job creation" will be limited. The damage will be long term. PA was the site of the world's first underground anthracite coal mine and the world's first million dollar corporation. The money was gone long before the damage. There are still areas that are recovering from left over coal waste piles, etc. This guy will do it all over again.
I also (but don't want to hijack your thread) suspect that the recent declaration of the "Eastern Cougar"/Mountain Lion as extinct in PA (which it is not) was because the critter's endangered status somehow got in the way of the fracking.
I am really glad that you posted. And I wish our state had a recall process that could see this guy gone.
Star and (my very first) Flag for you!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by watcher3339

aww well thank you!

I now a lot of people are very upset with this jerk we have, and I wish we could get him out!

I had never thought of the whole cougar issue. I don't believe it is extinct in the region either. I can see how that would get in the way of their fracking business.

Yes PA is the only state to NOT TAX the drilling. no wonder they all want to be here, and no wonder they all really wanted him in office.

feel free to hijack the thread. I want everyone to post anything they deem relevant to the discussion here.

Perhaps if we gather proof of the cougars existence we can get them to stop? ha its maybe one angle to try!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
. good grief am I understanding correctly, that the gas industry basically bought and installed an elected official? Sick, sick ,sick. But I understand PA has been hard hit economically. I guess the voters that fell for his campaign saw only a way out of financial desperation. You need to demonstrate to the average down and out voter the impact this unfettered fracking will have right on their very household, with poisoned water supplies and sick children and no environment worth living in. I mean, I know it's too late to get the guy out, but it's not too late for his constituency to apply some pressure and state in no uncertain terms what he is allowing is unacceptable and he will be held accountable to the people who voted for him and not the sleazes who funded his campaign.

By the way, I have to wonder yet again, are the leaders of all these corporations who are hellbent on destroying our one and only planet that we ALL have to live on even human? Do they think they are immune from cancer and disease that a sick environment visits upon us all no matter how rich of a zip code we live in? Seriously, set up fracking in The Hamptons or wherever the hell the rich and reptilian (joke) hang out and see what their reaction is.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Hello from Tioga County PA.

I agree, all the hydrofracking is nasty business at best. But you missed another important effect its having locally.

Since the energy companies arrived in the northern tier of PA, their presence has driven up cost of rental properties in the region, so high that an average person simply cannot afford to rent a new place any more. I watched local classifieds list rentals that used to be $400 a month, skyrocket to over $1,200 a month. This is a rural region, rental rates that high are usually in cities. I've even seen listings as high as $2,100 a month, in the country-side. Many people I know from the twin tiers, are moving well out of the area, because of this rental price gouging. All thanks to Chesapeake Energy and their competitors.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

Now that is interesting. And this is something only you (or those around you) would really know. I cannot believe how high the rent is! well at least people are moving away from the obnoxious drilling.

perhaps that is another angle to explore. they drive up the costs of rentals, knowing full well most people can't afford it. they move out of the area, and they get want they want. less people to complain about their wrongdoing.

my heart goes out to you. I live in Dauphin county. but still this state is my home. And everyone is my neighbor.

this is even more news to add to the collection.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I dont think, they that think we are immune. they just don't care. the more people that get sick, the less people that will complain. its disturbing, lets go drill where they live and see if they like it!

protest at gov corbett swearing in ceremony

people protested at his swearing in. its beautiful that people can come together to oppose such a travesty.

I do not see him getting re elected. he does say he will listen to proposals for counties to impose fees on natural gas drilling, but he is still opposed to taxing them.

our state needs that tax!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ladymerelda

The rental price gouging is affecting rental rates on the New York side of the twin tiers as well. But the largest increase has been in PA's northern tier. Its so bad, that in area newspaper classifieds, you see "Attention Gas Drillers.....Nice place to rent..." followed by "Only $1,000 a month". 3 months prior to the arrival of the drillers, that same place was only $575 a month.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Also to add:

Cattle in Wellsboro PA, located in central Tioga County, were quarantined last fall, because they were exposed to frackwater that was disposed of improperly from an Energy company nearby. Methane and Natural gas has seeped in to well water and groundwater sources throughout the tri-county area in the northern tier. All in a radius around the fracking operations. It just keeps getting worse.
edit on 3/24/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Eastern Pa., I won't be voting for him either and I'm repub also. I've been watching how this will play out for the Deleware river.
Everything I read on fracking isn't any good, directly to all water supplies.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Irresponsible energy development in the Rocky Mountain West is also taking a toll on public wild lands, which provide vital wildlife habitat and are a source of pure air and clean drinking water. These irreplaceable ecological resources are threatened by air pollution, habitat destruction and water contamination caused by the recent expansion of natural gas drilling.More than 25 million acres of wildlife habitat in the West have been leased by the Bureau of Land Management, and could potentially be opened to drilling. In one area of Wyoming, as drilling activity increased, mule deer numbers declined by 30 percent from 2000 to 2007.

Fracking is a suspect in polluted drinking water in Arkansas, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming, where residents have reported changes in water quality or quantity following fracturing operations.

NRDC website

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
PennLive.com
Article from today that should have everyone take note for Pa.

The 30-member commission is stacked with 13 business and industry representatives compared to only four environmental members.

For example, C. Alan Walker, current head of the Department of Community and Economic Development, is a former coal executive. The state had to go after Walker and his company in order to get it to follow the law and clean up more than 150 million gallons of polluted water from mines it owned.This is the same C. Alan Walker the governor proposes to give the power to “expedite any permit or action” at the Department of Environmental Protection, the state’s main watchdog. So much for any confidence that there are checks and balances on this growing shale drilling industry.

This is todays article. The board is highly skewed in favor of fracking and the board lacks any real environmentalists for water safety and fish and game representation.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

wow Its so hard to read about animals. i love animals and yeh. they can't help it, especially cattle. they rely on humans.

this rental thing is out of control. I feel like taking an ad out in your local paper listing facts against the drilling companies.

or just something anything, to let them know people will not take this laying down!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

Oh it is for sure impacting the water here in PA! I too wonder how it will affect the Delaware river. as well as the Susquehanna river.

they new york times published an article on water contamination in PA
www.nytimes.com...

then the jerks in PA (DEP) said this is not true, and they did tests and nothing (ex; radium 228) came back as over the limit and it occurs NATURALLY!

this was a few weeks ago and it was all over my local news. THEY ARE LIARS!

now this is just for my area's drinking water (one company)

Chemicals Tested & Found - 5 CHEMICALS IN BOLD WERE ABOVE HEALTH LIMIT
chemical found what it causes
Total haloacetic acids (HAAs) Cancer
Total trihalomethanes (TTHMs) Cancer
Radium-228 Organ System Toxicity
Nitrate Organ System Toxicity
Barium (total) Biochemical or Cellular Level Changes, Cancer, Developmental/Reproductive Toxicity, Ecotoxicology, Neurotoxicity, Occupational Hazards, Organ System Toxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation

united water
*changed from link Red to mean Bold in this post to be easier to read*

I am not sure how up to date this site is, or how reliable. but I wanted to do my own research on it. cuz well I'm not to trusting of officials. especially when they are best buds with the industry

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ladymerelda

I know the Susquehanna also. Bastadges have gotten ahold in the Scranton area before my section
I have spoken with Charlie Dent in the past, I'll try and re-connect with him for my area. I'll see what comes of it..

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mugger

well keep us posted here. any time i contact anyone I have no luck. perhaps I should just set up meetings with the people in my area.

I do feel like there are things we could be doing besides just contacting reps, and holding peaceful protests (no i dont mean violent protests)

there just has to be other ways to get the word out. have more people be aware of the situation.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
wanted to post an update on the first meeting of this advisory board for Marcellus Shale.
link to article first meeting
taking excerpts from the article I will give my 2 cents on what I think about what was said.

Lieutenant Governor Jim Cawley opened the first meeting of the Marcellus Shale Advisory Commission Friday with an idyllic vision of what Pennsylvania could become in 20 or 30 years “if we make the right decisions today.”

ok, so this should be interesting....

“Brain-drain” and “rust belt” would be phrases of the past. “Tens of thousands” of people would be working in the natural gas industry, “and thousands more working in related industries like water purification.” There would be “open spaces and family farms that have passed from generation to generation because foreclosure was avoided today.”

really all those people working for the industry? wow and water purification? sounds to good to be true? lets make a problem and then just make more jobs to create a solution. because they do SO MUCH to purify the water now right? and who are these people working for the industry? are they from our state or are they moving here?

and farms...sure that will work. the crops will grow with contaminated water, and the animals too. like cattle. they won't get sick and die from fracking chemicals or anything like that. riiiiiight.

Even the environmental members of the commission echoed those sentiments. With one exeption. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation stepped up with a list of specific environmental concerns that made many of the polite smiles around the table go thin. “CBF would like to draw attention to the fact that Pennsylvania’s recently crafted Watershed Implementation Plan for the Chesapeake Bay total maximum daily load does not currently account for the cumulative increases in the nitrogen, phosphorous and sediment loads generated by the natural gas industry, an omission that will need to be addressed,” said staff attorney LeeAnn Murray. “CBF also notes that DEP currently reviews permits for gas extraction on a permit by permit basis without viewing the potential comprehensive cumulative impacts resulting from increases in sediment loads from erosion and post-construction runoff from roads, wellpads, pipelines and other infrastructure.” “It is issues like these that we believe may have an impact on water quality,” she said, “and with recent scientific studies indicating that water quality is affected by gas extraction activities we hope to discuss methods of reducing such impacts.”

hahahhaha take that! at least there is a voice of reason within the confines of this advisory board.

the only one to bring up any issues that impact the ordinary people. chesapeake bay foundation.

When asked if there would be an opportunity for the public to at least observe or listen to the meetings of the working groups, Cawley said, “I’m sure.”

sure he is sure. but does the public have a chance to voice their concerns to the advisory board. we just get the chance to set there and listen to them discuss things. WE should have the right as a community to voice our concerns to them. regular people have voices too.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Good post with that update. I also saw in the local news, WETM-18 out of Elmira NY, that they have found the salinity (salt) levels in the used frackwater, is 10 times higher than that of Sea water. I'm trying to locate a clip of that news report, but WETM doesn't make video clips available all the time, unfortunately.

Since they know the salinity levels, one would think the PADEP would step in and ban improper dumping of the frackwater. And there has been no public disclosure from the NYSDEC about this either. And as a native NYer, I know that NYS is one of the toughest states in the country when it comes to Environmental Protection laws, in the Upstate and rural areas of NY anyway. Yet, no statements from them about Chesapeake Energy's disposal methods. And yes, Chesapeake IS dumping frackwater in NYS in exchange for money. I have seen many waste water trucks travel from Tioga County PA to Steuben County NY.
edit on 3/28/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: Typos caused by stupid fingers

edit on 3/28/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Thanks for all the updates. Please keep us posted. I grew up spending so much of my summers at the Chesapeake Bay and had visited much of my dad's family all over PA. PA is blessed with so much natural beauty. This news sickens me with all the implications for the future. Our nation's drinking water is a precious commodity. It's not to be traded for oil.

edit on 5-4-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
sorry I havent been keeping this updated. I have been very busy with family issues lately.

I cant believe the salinity levels,its so sad and there is probably nothing that they will do about it.

It seems like everyday when I come home from work, there is just more horrible news about the situation.

I did open my local paper to see a ad from Chesapeake Energy. they apparently are hiring up north from me. My mother always told me keep your friends close & your enemies closer. I wanted to see if I could apply for a job there. and maybe just maybe find some secret documents to take these jerks down! ha no luck yet tho.

although apparently very close to me, Williamsport, PA is having a boom of jobs being created by drilling industry
more jobs than workers

also there has been a bit of phone drama. after what is some very bad news for those of us against the drilling industry and their less than stellar business practices.

On March 23, Corbett’s Department of Environmental Protection issued an email edict to staffers: No environmental violations against drillers could be issued without the personal approval of DEP Secretary Michael Krancer.

very bad to hear. mr krancer is of course a person who is sympathetic to drillers. duh.

the head of the Federal EPA tried to contact jerk gov. corbett, but he never called her back.
His office says they never got that call and of course want to talk to her about this issue.

sure they do.
phone call drama

the majority of the pennlive website (local news site for me) has a plethora of articles on this mess. So it isnt hard to track down info and stories related to this.

now, more than ever, the "keep pennsylvania beautiful" signs seem ironic.

I did watch a short segment on a local channel (whbg) about a couple who's home that was built in 2003 is now worthless because of their water being affected. Oh yeah and also the lovely home they built for themselves was at risk of blowing up.

I am trying to find something on this video now, no luck. Will try to find it, and post it to here!

Thanks to everyone for their support & interest in this thread!

also If anyone knows of anywhere to find a good map of the Ramapo Fault line in pa, please let me know about it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join