It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fed reports massive profits

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah
reply to post by Mr. D

No offense, but again, read the article.

The extraordinary results reflect the unique business model of a central bank. The Fed pays for its investments by creating new money, with the result that the return on those investments, after expenses, is pure profit.

This is kind of like good bad news. The Fed is still an epicenter of evil but they're turning a profit on the bailout funny money. It's like the government is Ned Flanders and the Fed is Homer Simpson. In the long run, you're not getting your most stuff back but in this case, you got your power tool back, which is nice.

No offense taken, just have other articles going through my mind at the moment.

www.thestreet.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

I don't see what you mean (I edited my post a bit before I saw yours).

The TARP bailouts were a different matter entirely. The Fed had only a small part in it. The cash money for TARP mostly came from the Treasury and other investors. The rest of the money came from loans (to investors) which were provided by the Fed (poof!). But like I said, our taxes didn't really go up to cover it. The debt did go up but the profits from TARP (directly, and secondarily from some of the interest earned by the Fed on the loans) will go against the debt.
edit on 3/24/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Mr. D

I don't see what you mean (I edited my post a bit before I saw yours).

The TARP bailouts were a different matter entirely. The Fed had only a small part in it. The cash money for TARP mostly came from the Treasury and other investors. The rest of the money came from loans (to investors) which were provided by the Fed (poof!). But like I said, our taxes didn't really go up to cover it. The debt did go up but the profits from TARP (directly, and secondarily from some of the interest earned by the Fed on the loans) will go against the debt.

Did you read the article?

Taxpayers have now recovered "more than 99% (about $244 billion) of the approximately $245 billion in total funds disbursed for TARP investments in banks," the Treasury said.

What taxes are you talking about? Haven't you noticed the prices of food, merchandise
etc? Everything is more expensive and inflation is a form of hidden taxes or "stealth"
taxes. The article also states that the FED is involved.

In President Obama's original 2012 budget, the administration had projected a $48 billion cost to taxpayers from TARP.

Banks with the largest amounts of TARP money still owed to the government include SunTrust(STI_) of Atlanta, with $4.85 billion in preferred shares held by the Treasury; Regions Financial(RF_) of Birmingham, Ala., which owes $3.5 billion in TARP money; and KeyCorp(KEY_) of Cleveland, which has $2.5 billion in TARP preferred shares held by the government. All three are expected to raise common equity and fully repay the government soon after the Federal Reserve completes its latest round of so-called stress tests.

www.thestreet.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. D

Yes, I read the article. Yes, the Fed was involved. I said they were. They provided loans to investors in TARP.

I'm talking about the taxes that us taxpayers pay. Income taxes. They haven't gone up.

Some things are more expensive. Fuel is more expensive, but that has a lot more to do with what's happening "over there" than the bailouts. Food is more expensive but that has more to do with the bad weather two, three, four months ago than the bailouts. I haven't noticed "merchandise" being more expensive. I just got a nice deal on a LCD TV. Are houses more expensive? Are cars more expensive? Are interest rates skyrocketing?

Look, I'm not saying things are great. I'm not saying the Fed is wonderful. I'm saying it's a good thing that the Fed is turning a nice profit. You know, rising tide and all that. You want part of that cash right now? You want your taxes lowered? Great, but it would just mean that the National debt gets carried for longer.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeachM1litant

What a load of bull.

The American debt stands at over USD$90 TRLLION.

The only profits the US made are those from frozen bank accounts of Middle Eastern despots.

The rest of the profit is called "cooking the books" to make it look good for the public

Everyone outside America knows it's broke and will take at least 200 years to pay it back.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Now THAT, is a load of crap!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No just every other living expense has seen massive inflation.

Which boils down from the devaluing of our money by the FED.

These banks and politicians manipulated this crisis.

T.A.R.P is THEFT !!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

OMG

give me a moment, I had to pick myself
up off the floor. Phage stepped outside
the science world into politics to respond
to a financial thread. I am amazed.
thanks Phage for showing us another
side of you

and yea, dem dirty scumbags.

$81.7B could give every every American
man, woman and child a stimulus check
in the amount of $275.00

I could sure use it

edit on 3/24/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Wait, you mean our money is actually still worth something somewhere? no Kidding?

edit on 24-3-2011 by CosmosKid because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join