It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hideaki Akaiwa - One Bad Hero Saved His Wife, His Mom & Still His Countrymen

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The Afternnoon of March 11th Hideaki Akaiwa was at his job finishing the minutes of his work week in his office outside the port city of Ishinomaki in Japan's Miyagi Prefecture when the fateful earthquake struck.

That earthquake would change his life in an instant, and yet worse was to come.
The Tsunami that followed flooded his world with more than 10 feet of water, as he watched his once home city engulfed in the waves of water.

Hideaki's wife of twenty years was still buried inside the lake somewhere. She hadn't gotten out. She wasn't answering her phone. The water was still rising, the sun was setting, cars and # were swooshing past on a river of sea water, and and rescue workers told him there was nothing that could be done – the only thing left was to sit back, wait for the military to arrive, and hope that they can get in there and rescue the survivors before it's too late. With 10,000 citizens of Ishinomaki still missing and unaccounted for, the odds weren't great that Hideaki would ever see his wife again.badassoftheweek.com...

However, Hideaki Akaiwa not being a regular guy....

He's an. [snip] insane bad***, and he wasn't going to sit back and just let his wife die alone, freezing to death in a miserable water-filled tomb. He was going after her. No matter what.badassoftheweek.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/28549caca0d8.jpg[/atsimg]

"The water felt very cold, dark and scary," he recalls. "I had to swim about 200 yards (180m) to her, which was quite difficult with all the floating wreckage."

How Hideaki found a wet suit, managed the rescue dive...its all history now. He did it!

Hideaki maintained his composure and navigated his way through the submerged city, finally tracking down his old house. He quickly swam through to find his totally-freaked-out wife, alone and stranded on the upper level of their house, barely keeping her head above water. He grabbed her tight, and presumably sharing his rebreather with her, dragged her out of the wreckage to safety. She survived. badassoftheweek.com...

And then, he went back for his Mom. Yes, thats right. She had been stranded for four days...on the upper level of a house...and he brought her to safety.

Not content to let that be the end...Hideaki went to work again and today he still rides multiple times a day, riding around on a bicycle with his legs wrapped in plastic to keep himself dry...with his pocketknife, a canteen, a flashlight, a change of clothes, and a badass set of aviator sunglasses – packed into a trusty trio of backpacks.

AKA known as a bug - out bag.

www.latimes.com...

www.thestar.com...

www.theaustralian.com.au...

edit on 24-3-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hospital near the reactor with 180 patients.... of the 200 doctors on staff all deserted for fear of radiation... all except 17 who stayed and tried to look after the patients. Having no elevator they had to use the stairs...

The 17 finally called for the police to move the patients to other hospitals

Story on live NHK

www.livestation.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
S+F!!!
You filled my heart by posting this story. Thank you very much.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Today a group of people at the shelter get internet view of the damage to their homes. This is the first time they have seen that their town is literally wiped off the face of the Earth

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
A young Panda at the zoo hugs his rescuer

A dog rescued

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuch4another

Your welcome very much.

I was just really touched by this story...

How many of us would do this? We all talk about our bug out bags...

But if it came down to it, would we go out and use them like Hidaki?

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Awesome story and amazing video.

So refreshing and uplifting in this time of constant fearmongering

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by howmuch4another

Your welcome very much.

I was just really touched by this story...

How many of us would do this? We all talk about our bug out bags...

But if it came down to it, would we go out and use them like Hidaki?

Well the thought of the terror my wife and child would be going through would be enough for me personally. I would rather die trying to save my loved ones than being without them.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another

Well the thought of the terror my wife and child would be going through would be enough for me personally. I would rather die trying to save my loved ones than being without them.

Same here, I could not imagine swimming in a tsunami flood, but I think I would try!

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
He's Japanese what'd you expect.

This is what true heroes are. Thanks for this story man/girl.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Definition of a BAMF.

You have to be more than a little crazy to charge back into a tsunami with very little in the way of survival gear.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
He is the type of person that should be running Tepco. Well, at this point not because we need more people like this alive.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Very very good work and that Panda says it all.

posted on Apr, 4 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Absoluetly amazing. I even got tingles. After reading and hearing all the horror stories from Japan, I really needed this.
Thanks!

posted on Apr, 19 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
A young Panda at the zoo hugs his rescuer

A dog rescued

Do you have a source or story for the panda?

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

That panda is awesome.

That dude doing all that stuff is pretty cool too. I totally would have done that. Imagine having a jet pack, that would make things so much easier.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
yup, 1 bad*** fo sho.

this guy should get a promotion or something to a government job.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak
Do you have a source or story for the panda?

Hmmm no... it was in a set of photos from one of the news networks... but after you mentioned it, I went looking... Seems the Panda story and picture was from the Chinese quake...

Four of the center's staff died in the quake while others risked their lives to rescue panda cubs. "They were very scared and disturbed when the earthquake happened. They needed support from their keepers before they would eat again," one keeper said. "We talk to the pandas and play with them—that helps give them psychological support."

www.newser.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the post! s+f!

I was just about to do my search for dog stories from the quake. This guy is for sure a true hero. Bravo.

The site was new to me too... and funny! haha.

baka.

posted on May, 6 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this! I don't know how I missed this and just read it today. Makes me wonder why it's so quiet these days regarding Japan. Heartfelt and inspiring!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join