It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there nuclear waste in your state?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Is there nuclear waste in your state?

www.cbsnews.com

An estimated 66,000 metric tons of spent fuel rods are stored at 77 sites around the country - that's more than 145 million pounds. Imagine an entire football field full of spent fuel rods, seven yards high.

Currently 2,000 metric tons are added each year. That crowds the tanks, making them less efficient in reducing radioactivity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

More "good" news: US Nuclear Plants Store More Spent Fuel than Japan

edit on 23-3-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It seems I live in one of the five states that store the most metric tons of spent nuclear waste. According to the linked site, this equates to approximately 3,330 metric tons.

While my state is the least of the five major storage states, it's certainly something I was unaware of.

How does your state stack up?

One has to wonder how they are stored and whether said storage poses any future risk. I'm not against nuclear power but am one to think that should nuclear power be utilized the spent fuel should be disposed of in such a manner as to keep people as safe as possible.

Then again, I'm not a nuclear physicist so am unsure regarding the means to keep the populace safe regarding such large amounts of spent nuclear waste.

Montana and the Dakotas are looking better and better to me for relocation.

Fukushima now 72,000 Times Hiroshima Radiation Levels

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I don't know about waste, but here in Bristol we have one nuclear power plant about 10 miles north, and another one about 30 miles south. Normally wouldn't give it much thought to be honest, but with recent events in Japan some people round here are starting to worry a bit. Especially since the government seem to want to increase our reliance on nuclear energy, and there are possible plans to expand the ones near here.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Near where I live, there is 1,000,000 gallons of leaked nuclear waste underground. Assuming it travels at a steady rate, it is estimated to hit a major river in the next decade or 3.

This was leaked from storage at the mostly decommissioned plant in Hanford, WA.

This place was used during the Manhattan Project.

Until news arrived of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima, fewer than one percent of Hanford's workers knew they were working on a nuclear weapons project.[29] General Groves noted in his memoirs that "We made certain that each member of the project thoroughly understood his part in the total effort; that, and nothing more."
en.wikipedia.org...

There is also the decommissioned Trojan Plant nearby. There is spent fuel stored there in concrete containers. The old reactor is stored at Hanford.
edit on 24-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed
Near where I live, there is 1,000,000 gallons of leaked nuclear waste underground. Assuming it travels at a steady rate, it is estimated to hit a major river in the next decade or 3.

This was leaked from storage at the mostly decommissioned plant in Hanford, WA.
edit on 23-3-2011 by JohnnyTHSeed because: (no reason given)

Doesn't that give you a "warm fuzzy"? /sarcasm

I truly don't have a problem with nuclear power but do think that should it be utilized that the ramifications of using it are fully thought out as well as how to deal with any spent fuel is dealt with.

What is the point of having "cheap, efficient energy" if the cost of having such can wipe out large swaths of the population?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Yes , We have Plenty. The United States Tax Payer Has also spent hundreds of millions, if not billions, on
Salt Mines and Tunnels in the West to bury it in the safest way known to man. But no one in DC has the steel hard ones to declare Eminent Domain, and have it shipped there by order and decree. So the "Knock List" is in the open, if you catch my
drift.

Even the most wealthy people I know are at risk. Radioactivity, Krypton 85, Cesium, Iodine, etc.

Radiation does not discriminate : your skin color,religion.political beliefs,lineage,economic status,sex,
physical size, age, talents, or abilities do not matter. New Thread on the way.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Please view this video of Highly Respected Scientist being interviewed and telling of the HUGE cover up that is going on.

Radiation levels are being covered up and hit North America on day one, in particular The Bay Area.
Explanation of Radiation being carried by the Jet Stream - this is not the case. It is transferred and pervades the Treposhere at low level and is extremely dangerous.

This Video of the 23rd March should be seen by everyone in the Northern Hemisphere which she claims will all be affected.

www.activistpost.com...

I have been trying to alert about this all day - Please take the time to watch for your own safety sake!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekeye2
Please view this video of Highly Respected Scientist being interviewed and telling of the HUGE cover up that is going on.

Radiation levels are being covered up and hit North America on day one, in particular The Bay Area.
Explanation of Radiation being carried by the Jet Stream - this is not the case. It is transferred and pervades the Treposhere at low level and is extremely dangerous.

This Video of the 23rd March should be seen by everyone in the Northern Hemisphere which she claims will all be affected.

www.activistpost.com...

I have been trying to alert about this all day - Please take the time to watch for your own safety sake!

Don't take this wrong.... But this doesn't belong here.... It deserves it's own thread, and is completely off topic of this thread.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Seekeye2

www.activistpost.com...

I thought the thread was about nuclear waste - Is Radiation not nuclear waste?

Don't take this wrong.... But this doesn't belong here.... It deserves it's own thread, and is completely off topic of this thread.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
So radiation isn't nuclear waste?????

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Seekeye2

Your post is about tectonic war... This thread is about nuclear waste in each state

top topics

join