It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shady ad(s) on ATS!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Edit: The PURPOSE of this thread is to EDUCATE the majority of PEOPLE whom are on this site and others that THESE types of ADS are (one way or another) SHADY

*And I should say that this is just my opinion and my opinion only....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9d3f7348c0bf.jpg[/atsimg]
[[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/783d38490ec1.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 23-3-2011 by Confusion42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2011 by Confusion42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I run a few websites and I block all dodgy ad's I don't want my sites being associated with them, the most popular ones are the "MAKE $2687 A DAY WITH GOOGLE" as soon as I see them they get wacked!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
How do I edit images so that peepz can see it all...

And please note this isn't against ATS in any way; I love this site...

But seriously via my profession, I understand that the VAST majority of people will not understand the "ad" and will be "sucked" into much "shadiness"

This is why I put it in the education forums hehe

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
You may need to shrink these images so we can see all of the images completely. Happened to me a couple days ago too. Hope it works for you as well!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Confusion42
How do I edit images so that peepz can see it all...

And please note this isn't against ATS in any way; I love this site...

But seriously via my profession, I understand that the VAST majority of people will not understand the "ad" and will be "sucked" into much "shadiness"

This is why I put it in the education forums hehe

Really easy. Use a simple online tool like Adobe's online Photoshop tool to resize the image. Just divide the dimensions of the height and width of the image by 2 each time until comfortable or just play along with the sizes and see what would work. Then re upload to ATS and embed and it should work!

edit on 23-3-2011 by Skate because: Typo

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Skate

I know this; I thought there was an easier way; oh well, about to edit via your method; appreciate help sir!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Updated....

Side note to ATS ... why not allow direct images upload via posting page?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Maybe its not the site, maybe it is some shady something or other that has attached itself to your cookies. For example. I bought silver a few weeks ago, now it seems like every ad I see on ATS is from APMEX.

wierd.

i do miss the "Congratulations you've won" guy from time to time.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
As far as I know, and I'm sure admin will show up soon enough to tell me if I am, Google Ad Sense gives you ads based on your browsing habits.

Almost everybody uses this now a days and the ads you see are because of where you go on the net and if you have any spyware or something of that nature, it may affect what you see as far as ads.

Just my understanding of it all.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
As far as I know, and I'm sure admin will show up soon enough to tell me if I am, Google Ad Sense gives you ads based on your browsing habits.

Almost everybody uses this now a days and the ads you see are because of where you go on the net and if you have any spyware or something of that nature, it may affect what you see as far as ads.

Just my understanding of it all.

~Keeper

Your correct, I understand this all.

Now, note the following:

This ad was NOT based on anything else I saw within the last few months and I clear cache (rinse and repeat
) very often..

2- ATS can edit there AdSense to filter out "shady crap" (to say the least)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
the free laptops don't seem shady to me, there are companies actually giving away free laptops, it is not a scam in the sense that you will not get a free laptop. it's just inorder to get one you must accept their contract for internet services, once accepted you are under contract for a duration of say 2-3 years and you have to pay monthly subscriptions for the service. it works out they make the laptop money plus loads more back, the laptop is just incentive they try to tempt you with. so i would no class it as shady.

not sure if that add is the same thing but it sounds like it.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
the free laptops don't seem shady to me, there are companies actually giving away free laptops, it is not a scam in the sense that you will not get a free laptop. it's just inorder to get one you must accept their contract for internet services, once accepted you are under contract for a duration of say 2-3 years and you have to pay monthly subscriptions for the service. it works out they make the laptop money plus loads more back, the laptop is just incentive they try to tempt you with. so i would no class it as shady.

Look at the first post (I updated to make image fit) look at first image...

It says I won something...

Note that first image, when it was loaded, kept flashing....
Everybody please note that I myself understand I didn't win anything, I understand its advertising etc. etc. ; however, What I am trying to say, my point of this thread, is that the vast majority of people do NOT know these type of "ads" are "shady" and will willingly give there info to "shady" companies for a "free computer" (and in the end aint nobody getting anything for free etc. etc. etc. just shadiness)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Confusion42

i have one on my screen just now that says "free rspb nest box if you join by the 31st of march.

its not all that different from the laptops, free laptop in excahnge for....

but i understand what your saying, but then that would be just about every ad that ever pops up. the key is not to join anything or give details on the internet, try to find your nearest outlet if it is something that interest you, go down in person, find out all the facts before signing up. and avoid anything that tells you that you won or your the 1000th visitor they are always scams, even those scratch cards you get for free in papers. we cannot avoid them regardless of if we are online or offline, i am sure most people are aware, junk mail etc.

i would never trust an add online or not.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

A sucker is born every minute. Nothing is "free", and if you only believe what is visibly on the surface, you can be talked into believing almost anything.

edit: So if you think they just give away free laptops to make money off of internet subscriptions, there's far more to it than the surface BS. They take ALL your information and sell it to 3rd party sources, then your phone rings off the hook during dinner from telemarketers.... that's just for starters. Next your identity will most likely be hacked and stolen, and that takes approx 2-3 yrs to figure out that no one really care about you or your problems with ID theft....

I can go on, but if you believe there's nothing "shady" about free laptops, you'll never believe what they can do with them once they're in your possession. Drink that kool-aid, yum!
edit on 23-3-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

well this sucker knows why they give away free laptops......so i made people who think it sounds good understand why they give them away unless they knew already.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

so every ad is shady to you? to me some ads are shady and others are just ads. like another ad that gets spewed at you through papers,tv, junk mail, internet etc.

i am fully aware what can happen, but it is no different to usual adds or even just using a mobile network who constantly pester you to top up.

shady to me is scams, flase claims etc, not just normal advertising.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
These laptops and ads and spyware and adware are extremely SHADY, and it's all about separating YOU from your money. The free laptops are so loaded with crap spying on you and sending that info to 3rd party sources, that's how they make their back end. Nothing is free, if anything is taken from you that isn't monetary, it is your TIME, and time is the most precious commodity we have, we can't get back a lost minute or hour.
I've spent probably 2 hours of my life on the phone with telemarketers, and that's on the low end of the average American sucker.

Just saying, my advice from experience with these criminal corporations is - if you didn't ask for it, stay away from it.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

i am not really saying anything different, i never said laptops were free, i explained they are to get money out of you, i really do not understand why you are telling me this stuff. i never claimed anything was free, just that it is not shady..... i explained what i would class as shady, the rest is just advertising, normal advertising wether you think it is trying to fool people or not. if you think that normal advertising is shady then you think all advertising is shady.
which is fine....but then you would complain about all ads on this site.

but to claim a ad is shady when it is just an ad.............some are some are not, i have seen the free laptop ads everywhere not just on the internet. anything can contain viruses not just ads, that is more to do with internet saftey, and i have seen no evidence this far that the ad in question contains viruses.

no ad tells the full truth about everything in plain sight... if you class that as shady then every ad is shady. its called marketing and sales, you highlight the positives and hide the negatives.

if this thread started out just saying all ads were shady, i might not of got the impression that some people think there is a difference between a shady and a normal ad.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Use Firefox with a plug in called "Ad Block Plus" and you shouldn't have to worry. I see little if any ads and it also allows pages to load faster since the ads are blocked.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This thread I made wasn't really made for purpose of debate (however if majority of peepz want to debate; im all for it i like civilized debate hehe)....

It was made to educate the vast majority of online users that a big vertical banner that flashes and makes your speakers go off crazy saying you are a winner of some sort of "anything" does NOT mean you just hit any of type of "Las Vegas Jackpot" ; In fact; in the majority of instances for certain shady ad type practices, you are simply giving away your information (at a minimum) and at a maximum you just screwed yourself financially (this all can happen and does happen to many people ...... the World Wide Web; this "network of networks" we all call "The Internet" is STILL in it's infancy but is exponentially growing in fact so fast that there are generational "boundaries" between "generations" that grew up without computer and generations that grew up with computer (granted still majority of both folks don't understand shady ad practices) ... ) errrr ......... yea so basically, Peepz need to educate themseleves about (in reality many different "Internet" related things) but CERTAINLY at a minimum education is needed on not giving Agent Smith the information he needs to control This Matrix .....

Errr

top topics

join