It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Must See!!! ATS Member Gets Perturbed At The Sensationalist Thread Titles Here On The Forum!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Sensationalist Thread Titles Rule !! I have a had a number of my threads go straight to the number one position on the home page of ATS...and not because I went to alot of trouble to create a ten paragraph opening post but because I gave them an eye catching title and the subject was about something truly interesting ...and not just interesting to me.
And just like everybody else, as I peruse the threads looking for one to read in my very sparce spare time, my eye is always drawn to the Must Watch!!! ones first.
So let's get real...sure it's about content but first off it's about the marketing.
edit on 3/23/2011 by MissSmartypants because: add link

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Well aren't you a smarty pants?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Sure it is about the titles. A fundamental facet of being a good writer is drawing attention to your post; an effective headline with good content in the post is obviously going to get stars and flags. I don't see your gripe here.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have to agree with you to some extent, but the "MUST WATCH" and "MUST READ" threads just don't interest me anymore, simply because I've been so terribly disappointed by most of them. I prefer a thread title that actually makes me curious. This was my very first thread and ( insert shameless pitch here) I received quite a few stars and even some applause for it. I think a lot of people read it simply because of the title. ??

" Land Fizzing Like Soda Pop! "

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
But there's marketing and a totally misleading title.

They are two very different things.

Do you purport marketing in this thread or are you advocating the use of mileading Titles?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

My question is why in the heck has this tread been flagged 5 times?

Yes eye catching thread titles make it more likely that your thread will get viewed but who does not know that already?

I have seen sensationalist thread titles and then view the thread only to find nothing but rubbish and a poor response from the members who read and responded.

A thread title may attract attention but it is the content within that will decide if that attention is positive or negative.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by studio500
But there's marketing and a totally misleading title.

They are two very different things.

Do you purport marketing in this thread or are you advocating the use of mileading Titles?

I am advocating the use of eyecatching informative titles that First...command your attention on a page full of many other threads that are also hoping to command your attention, and secondly are about a truly intriguing subject that will surely peak anyone's interest...once I've gotten them to give it a glance. Hence the catchy titles.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skate
Well aren't you a smarty pants?

Thanks for noticing. This seemed to be a good venue to showcase a bit of my smartypantsness.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
And we do,
You sucked me into this crap thread

You just proved to me, i might think i am free to think what i want, but as soon as you flashed those BIG words and the bright colours infront of me, i was sucked into you and your show. You showed me i was still a sheeple.

Not happy with myself

Not happy at all

ETA. your living up to your name, arn't you, you smartypants.

edit on 23-3-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
You forgot the words "gay, Jesus, Islam, and ZOMG DEBUNK THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in your title.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

True that, and so my threads will not. Unless I succumb to the sensationalist angle. I would prefer to
create a thread of truth if I am so fortunate. If this chord is properly strum, hopefully it will attain
the resonance that you have been able to attain. That is my stature for now. This is not to say that your
ability for creative writing and the imagination to create 'headlines" is in any way improper.
In fact, it is the name of the game. Possibly very lucrative if you attain access to the mainstream money
media. Need to mention, the mainstream money media is looking here for topics,angles,and perhaps talent.

S&F
edit on 23-3-2011 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by meathed
And we do,
You sucked me into this crap thread

You just proved to me, i might think i am free to think what i want, but as soon as you flashed those BIG words and the bright colours infront of me, i was sucked into you and your show. You showed me i was still a sheeple.

Not happy with myself

Not happy at all

ETA. your living up to your name, arn't you, you smartypants.

edit on 23-3-2011 by meathed because: (no reason given)

Yep and I never ever get tired of saying "Made you look!"

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
you guys are a step behind...

everyone knows for a thread to ROCK there is one key word the title must contain :

PROOF

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
So you are calling out another member on their title posting IN the rant forum? Am I understanding this correctly?

I dont read sensational titles. They are 99% of the time crap anyway. I get annoyed at OMG and PROOF LOOK NOW titles. Sensational titles that are made up to get attention is against ATS T&C...Half the titles of threads on here as of late have NOTHING to do with the thread content, it's just done to get attention. It's annoying!

One example is the DUMB thread about dolphins causing the earthquake...that thread title, well thread is just ridiculous and the 77 people who flagged it should be ashamed of themselves

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
How about VIDEO INCLUDED?? Lol!

I love a great title, especially a witty or funny one. When i make a thread I try to give it the best most eye catching attention catching title I can.
edit on Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:49:36 -0500 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
So you are calling out another member on their title posting IN the rant forum? Am I understanding this correctly?

I dont read sensational titles. They are 99% of the time crap anyway. I get annoyed at OMG and PROOF LOOK NOW titles. Sensational titles that are made up to get attention is against ATS T&C...Half the titles of threads on here as of late have NOTHING to do with the thread content, it's just done to get attention. It's annoying!

One example is the DUMB thread about dolphins causing the earthquake...that thread title, well thread is just ridiculous and the 77 people who flagged it should be ashamed of themselves

Um...actually you do read sensational titles. Obviously. And if I have something informative that I feel would be of benefit to others it is my duty to draw attention to it to the best of my abilities, do you not agree?

posted on Apr, 1 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal

True that, and so my threads will not. Unless I succumb to the sensationalist angle. I would prefer to
create a thread of truth if I am so fortunate. If this chord is properly strum, hopefully it will attain
the resonance that you have been able to attain. That is my stature for now. This is not to say that your
ability for creative writing and the imagination to create 'headlines" is in any way improper.
In fact, it is the name of the game. Possibly very lucrative if you attain access to the mainstream money
media. Need to mention, the mainstream money media is looking here for topics,angles,and perhaps talent.

S&F
edit on 23-3-2011 by Wildmanimal because: typo

" Unless I succumb to the sensationalist angle." Succumb, my friend, succumb. You have things to say that need to be heard. Make them listen. It's important.

new topics

top topics

join