It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You have a new private message" Pop-up

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
The only people that might like the popup are newbies who may not have recognized the color change on the old system ...

I like the pop-up notification.
I don't think I qualify as a newbie any more.
Do you like it better than the old color change? And if so, why?

The color change allowed you to read your mail when you wanted to, the popup is a lot more annoying and doesn't give you as much choice. That's the problem, the choice is gone.

If you close the popup you lose the notification. With the color change the notification was always there.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

HEY OP!!

(and everyone else)...

Didja see the new PM (U2U) alert design????

LOOKY! Down on the "ribbon". The baby-diaper-green (formerly pink...or, was it [color=violet]violet? Either way, a baby theme, seemed to me....) "messages" button. See it??

Turns that pea-soup color now, and says:

"[color=AEBB51]NEW
MESSAGES"

Happy ??

(OK...time to complain about the color...just as I predicted...)

Ya gotta admit...."Skeptic '[color=gold]Mad Man' Overlord" sees all, (and responds sometimes)......

edit on 24 March 2011 by weedwhacker because: it's complicated.....and CLASSIFIED!

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Everybody that was bashing us for telling them to man up should seriously thank SkepticOverlord.

Their desires were heard and their wish granted.

Cheers ATS.

edit on 3/24/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

If this will work in place of the pop-up, then that is great. Thanks to the admins for listening and acting in a very timely manner.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Is that New messages button shining bright in yellow in the bottom toolbar the answer to that big annoying green thing that covered the entire screen ? Cause I was just gonna ask if we couldn't get back the old U2U alert button.

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah

Originally posted by Ahmose
There is far more important crap to focus on.

You're right. Yet that's made difficult when a pop-up is in the middle of my screen.

Can't we as ATS members (ad revenue generators) make calls for change?

I'm a little sad to see you guys just roll over and take it. I do to but there's a breaking point somewhere and I don't want that being logging off (even more ads).

Dude, come on.

Firstly, the pop-up does not appear in the middle of the screen.
Secondly, it only takes a few seconds (unless you're still rockin' the 56k, in which case: More Power To Ya!)
Thirdly, I'll offer the same advice I would give to someone not liking something on the TV or radio...

Change the channel! (or in this case, go to another site!)

Good luck finding a site that even rivals ATS in content and variety of opinions.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

It's not a big deal but seeing a message always makes me think I'm in trouble AGAIN

You?... In Trouble? That's just really hard to believe.

I kinda like the pop-up box though.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Of all the things to gripe about, out of a broad selection of gripe-worthy things on ATS... it's a popup notification from the site that gets a burr up your butt?

So... basically everything's cool with you, bro? Thought so

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Of all the things to gripe about, out of a broad selection of gripe-worthy things on ATS... it's a popup notification from the site that gets a burr up your butt?

So... basically everything's cool with you, bro? Thought so

Exactly... I wish that was my biggest problem in life, a pop-up box on ATS. Anyways, it just might be a nice message from someone, so I don't see the big deal.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Happy ??

No. I'm not. I hate it. I liked the old one. I prefer the old one. I like to know when I've gotten a U2U, not have to check all the time.

And I'm not happy that because someone complained, ATS just changed it. Who knows how many people were fine with it the way it was?

Bah! BH is feeling *grouchy* about the new notification system.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

And I'm not happy that because someone complained, ATS just changed it. Who knows how many people were fine with it the way it was?

Bah! BH is feeling *grouchy* about the new notification system.

I'm not happy either..
Maybe I'll start a thread asking for the old notification..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I will flag it...

I actually have to look downward when I log in to see if any of my friends have left me a message.

It is really beginning to become a hassle.

I guess that if the people who were complaining, were able to make friends instead of complain then they would look forward to the new message alert.

Hahaha. Start the thread mate.

Cheers

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

edit on 27-3-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Josephus23

Hahaha. Start the thread mate.

Ya know, maybe it's time ATS created a polling system for subjects like this..
Simple yes or no polls on the site wouldn't hurt for minor issues like this..

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Happy ??

No. I'm not. I hate it. I liked the old one. I prefer the old one. I like to know when I've gotten a U2U, not have to check all the time.
I was EXTREMELY happy with the message notification method before ATS changed it. I also like to know when I've gotten a U2U and not have to check all the time, and not be forced to read it immediately upon receipt like the popup did.

ATS had a perfect functioning U2U notification before the popup version.

Please bring that one back.

The ribbon notification is pretty slick but using it requires me to permanently open up the ribbon menu which has several problems, it takes up valuable "real estate space" from the display by displaying not only the "messages" icon but also 7 other menu items which are duplicates of other menu selections elsewhere. I've been keeping the ribbon hidden because it's an inefficient use of space. Now if I have to keep it open constantly to get the message notification I'll lose that space permanently. Why should I have permanently displayed menu items that are available elsewhere, permanently taking up space on my screen?

I have to disagree about ATS being responsive, to users, that's a good thing. The reason I've been able to keep the ribbon hidden (until now, that is) is because ATS listened to and was responsive to users about the ribbon.

The U2U notification we had when I joined the site was a perfect implementation for experienced ATS users. As annoying as that popup was, it was still less annoying than having to leave the ribbon open all the time. So I'm hoping they listen to users and bring back the original U2U notification or something like it. That worked perfectly, and it eliminated these problems:

You didn't have to leave a ribbon open that takes up extra display space.
You didn't have to check constantly to see if you got new messages like you do now by opening up the ribbon.
You weren't forced to read the message immediately upon receipt like the popup forced you to do (or you could ignore the notification but then you lost visibility of the notification, which wasn't a problem with the previous method).
It took up only very limited real estate and it wasn't permanently displayed as you read the message board, as you scrolled down to read the forum, the notification scrolled up.

Experienced users knew what the U2U meant but it may have been slightly cryptic for newbies, I recall it was for me when I was a newbie even though I used P2P so not totally ignorant of L33tspeak. But the word "messages" is pretty long and takes up a lot of space, I think it could be truncated to "MSGS" and most people could guess that means messages more easily than the letters U2U, that would be my only suggestion for any change from the original notification method.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
This change just goes to show,that no matter what they do,they can't please everyone one...There will always be some who complain. Period.

Personally,I liked it with the pop up window,but that is just me.... People need to understand, that just because you like it one way, does not mean everyone will....

For everyone who likes it this way, there is one who hates it this way...

Bottom line, you guys must be frustrated with the change... Imagine how frustrated Bill must be having to deal with the fact that you can't please everyone, no matter how hard you try...

I guess, I am just saying, chill out! You are not going to like everything about the site.Period.... Get that through your head and move on.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
I have to disagree about ATS being responsive, to users, that's a good thing.

Yes, it absolutely is a good thing. But 5-6 people saying they don't like something isn't necessarily indicative of how the majority of members feel. That's all I meant.

And I'm used to the new system now. I usually go with the flow, but this one bothered me.
I have to open the ribbon to check, but I don't get than many messages anyway. LOL

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Great post... this has been really annoying recently... i don't want to recieve a post telling me about a new 'street view' video, when said video is all over the main page etc..

Can't we opt to not recieve these 'adverts' for ATS content.

I wouldn't mind if it didn't happen so often.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Hard words both that's the truth !

Go figure... People even think that one specific ideology can suit all.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Wait..... there is a way to permanently close the annoying screen robbing "ribbon"?
How?!!! Please do share!

I've wanted to get rid of that since it first showed it's ugly head.

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join