It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You have a new private message" Pop-up

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Cmon ATS.
I'll tolerate having to stay logged in to see Ss&Fs and avoid a few ads.
I'll tolerate disabling AdBlock so you can milk in more ad revenue by subjecting me to distracting ads.
I'll tolerate your heavy promo of Street-view, Con Chicks, etc via banner ads and spam emails.
And sadly, I'm (barely) tolerating the "you've got mail" pop-up.

Really? A private message? ATS admin and I have a private, interpersonal relationship? I rarely use the mail feature and I don't need to know the latest edition of street view is out.

Is there a way to disable it? My guess is yes and its relatively easy but I don't know it.
Regardless, could you guys at least adjust it to not RE-pop-up when I go from the homepage to recent posts, eg.
I should only have to close the notification once per site visit. Its getting unbearable. I'm asking for a little more discretion on the mass-emails.

If this complaint has been voiced before please direct me to the relevant threads.

Tanks much.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Is there a way to disable it?

Yes.

OPEN it.

Click "del".

DONE!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It's been brought up multiple times.
and from what Ive gathered..
You cannot change it.

Unless things have changed, which I doubt.

It bothered me for a week or so also..
Now I just ignore it, it's not that hard to do.
and there is far more important crap to focus on.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
There is far more important crap to focus on.

You're right. Yet that's made difficult when a pop-up is in the middle of my screen.

Can't we as ATS members (ad revenue generators) make calls for change?

I'm a little sad to see you guys just roll over and take it. I do to but there's a breaking point somewhere and I don't want that being logging off (even more ads).

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Flagged as I totally agree it's a pain in the royal backside, and as I refreshed the page to see this topic I got (and still have) that annoying green ALERT up on the screen.

'You have 1 new private messages waiting for your review in the ATS Member Center.'

I know it's not a 'Private Message' in any sense of the word, it's simply going to be yet another street view alert 'advertisement' or the latest announcement or 'thing' that's of interest to Springer or Sceptic

Don't get me wrong, a site needs to survive and I support ATS and of course have ATS in my ABP exceptions list and click on the odd advert and bought off one of them, but we should have the option to opt out of these pop up advertisements masquerading as private messages as when they are sent to everyone the last thing they are is private.

Edit to add: Yes, it was "Street View 13: Mainstream Media"
edit on 23-3-2011 by lifttheveil because: lol

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Is there a way to disable it?

Yes.

OPEN it.

Click "del".

DONE!

Yeah, and just repeat that process once a day, every day. No problem.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Oh, geeze......

The "U2U" 'pop-up' (as you call it) is easily handled. JUST DO IT!!!!

"close window" is one option. OR, do as I suggested. Open the damn thing, and then DELETE!!

It takes how much time to do that?? :shk:

Or...."bye". Adios. See ya later, alligator......

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah

Originally posted by Ahmose
There is far more important crap to focus on.

You're right. Yet that's made difficult when a pop-up is in the middle of my screen.

Can't we as ATS members (ad revenue generators) make calls for change?

I'm a little sad to see you guys just roll over and take it. I do to but there's a breaking point somewhere and I don't want that being logging off (even more ads).

How is it in the middle of your screen?

As soon as I scroll down a bit (to get to where the new posts are), the popup is no longer visible anymore.
If it were "in the middle" of my screen, I would definitely be pissed....
But I only see it for a brief second before scrolling down, and not seeing it anymore.

Sure, I think ATS members can/and should be able to request changes..
But everything on this site is "free" to us...
So why bitch?

ads?
what are they? lol

I promise friend..
If I see something very wrong, unjust, or just completely retarded..
I speak up, and do not just "roll over and take it" by any means....

I just can't see focusing on, and making a stink about something soo trivial, worth the time/energy/focus .

Blessings

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

"every day"???

(Maybe you have fans out there, eh? I get a U2U rarely.....the VERY, VERY rare ATS "blast mail" ones. Some nice ones from other members, that I enjoy reaidng. You should try it......).

Or.....when you are VERY bad....you get one then too. Hmmmmmmm....perhaps?????

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Ah, the classic, "if you don't like get out!" How constructive. Perhaps there's a magical middle ground where complaints are heard, considered, and possibly resolved? Or is it just black and white around here?

An internet page will load in a splitsecond, movies can be downloaded in minutes. So when I'm casually browsing a regular site and I frequently must deal with an unwanted popup it gets a little annoying. Yes it only takes a seond but in internet time thats a lot.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

No....it isn't any different than the "old" system....and, believe me, OTHERS "complained" mightily about that!!!

I mean, come on! Get a grip!! There were actual BB & Q threads started that complained about the color of the stupid "U2U" button, when it would illuminate on the toolbar, in the old format!!

The color, for chrissakes!!!

"Too red!" they said.....or, "Wrong shade of red". (
) ???

AND, as mentioned....geeze, yet again....it GOES AWAY just by scrolling down-thread...even IF you don't deal with it at all! (Maybe you should re-evaluate your browser, if it is in the "middle of" your screen???)

Frankly....in the future upgrades, I expect some more interactivity with "PM" notifications. Like, a prostate tingler or something....anything subtle, like that. It already is about as benign as can be, right now.....want an audible alert? A ring tone instead? (Imagine the complaints THEN!!)

edit on 23 March 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

It's not a big deal but seeing a message always makes me think I'm in trouble AGAIN

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

I can't believe that this is two days in a row that I am agreeing with weedwhacker, but I gotta say....

Just man up guys.

Does it really bother you THAT much?

I would honestly like to see the ignore button come back, but whatever, I just actually ignore the person now and give them none of my attention.
Do the same with the PM pop-up.

Or close the window or delete the message. It is really not that difficult.
You guys are acting like someone asked you to de-bone a sockeyed salmon.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

It's not a big deal but seeing a message always makes me think I'm in trouble AGAIN

Yeah... I got that feeling today to be totally honest with you.

Glad to see that I am just forced to continue on with my lower case "m" letter in the member part of my avatar.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I do find the pop-up messaging service a little frustrating. It seems to occur quite frequently, with the vast majority of messages automated ATS bulletins. I worry I might dismiss a non-automated message in the process.

OK, so just to clarify..there is no actual way of disabling these alerts or altering the way they're received, from your account settings? My efforts to date have been to no avail. Thanks.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Ross Cross because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

You and me both.

Should I open it?

To OP
Most of the time I hit the close button by accident. Then I have to take the long road to U2U. So I guess I have the opposite issue. As the others said, there is no way around it (that is allowed by t&c). Just tune it out like you tune out the noise making crumb toters at McD's.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Moon buddy I gotta ask and this is off topic but, its about yer avatar

Is that a sweet mullet? And is that a perm i see within that same sweet mullet..?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Castogere

Business in the front...

Party in the back.

And no. I could not resist!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join