It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can US Citizens Legally Demand the Resignation of the President?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
And if so, why has it not been done?

I am in no way a scholar on US policies although I am rapidly becoming so.

From what I have read lately, it seems that the US can demand the President to step down on grounds of lies, abuse of power and corruption, to name but a few reasons.

Bush clearly lied his way into office and throughout both his terms. The second being the real question of validity.

Obama has not kept one promise from what I can see. His popularity is down in the lowest numbers that have ever been experienced in recent presidencies (depending on which news you watch or read of course) and yet, he's still here?

www.rasmussenreports.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9f3f91ae0912.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/588534df8c26.jpg[/atsimg]

I have seen so many threads on ATS referring to Obama being the worst president in our life time. He has bankrupted the Country, bailed out the banks, forced Obamacare on the poor, invaded another Country, picked up where Bush left off on re-writing the constitution according to what he wants and on and on and on.

And then I see this. Who's lying?

people-press.org...

Barack Obama currently fares as well against a generic opponent in the upcoming presidential election as George W. Bush did in April 2003, a time when Bush’s job approval rating was much higher than Obama’s is today. He also tests considerably better than Bill Clinton did in March 1995. Nearly half (47%) of registered voters say they would like to see Barack Obama reelected, while 37% say they would prefer to see a Republican candidate win the 2012 election, according to the survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press conducted March 8-14 among 1,525 adults. In April 2003, 48% of registered voters said they would like to see Bush reelected in 2004; 34% said they would prefer to see a Democrat win.

Note: I can't see how it is possible that he has a higher approval rating than Bill Clinton at the same time in his term.

I could go on but I know there are many more here with well informed opinions on this subject that I would defer to them on this.

I still have to ask why the citizens have not banded together to demand he step down? Is it because of fear of the consequences? I know there are many instances of dissension being labeled as a terrorist action and the people involved have been labeled as domestic terrorists. No Fly lists being only one consequence.

Free Speech Zones are shrinking and heavily monitored. Gun laws are getting tighter. CCTV popping up all over the Country. Are people scared to launch a large scale protest?

On top of all that, people are losing homes, cars, jobs. States are trying to separate and do their own thing against what Washington is dictating, grope fests at the airports, bus stations and train stations. Schools are closing programs, Police and Fire funding is being cut.

Whew! Need I continue?

Or is it that in reality, people are more in favor of him than we think?

Never mind the flames, just an intelligent, well thought out response would be appreciated.
I am truly only looking for answers.

Thank you.

edit on 23-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
How about forcing every single politcian that has lied to step down? Getting rid of one won't do a thing, get rid of them all and let the new ones know it will happen to them if they try the same things.

It amazes me that people think taking one brick out of a pyramid would make it collapse.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
How about forcing every single politcian that has lied to step down? Getting rid of one won't do a thing, get rid of them all and let the new ones know it will happen to them if they try the same things.

It amazes me that people think taking one brick out of a pyramid would make it collapse.

No but if you get rid of the block at the top it stops looking like a pyramid right?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I think the problem even in the situation we are in right now is that not enough people are willing to set aside the time to address the problem in an effective manner. So not enough people willing to stop everything in their lives to put the country first, which is quite sad to say the least.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Yes, the US people can fire their president. It's called an impeachment. Although it is legal and possible, usually such action is triggered by the opposition because the people is not that united and organised to start it up.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

My guess is that doing so would mean removing 99% of politicians from office. Next would be removing ALL unConstitutional beurocratic entities followed by removal of ALL members of the Judiciary that have not upheld their oaths to defend the Constitution.

Whew, talk about some serious job openings after all of the aforementioned is accomplished!!

(Let's not forget that getting rid of the Federal Reserve would most likely be the best opening move to get back on the right track.)

In regards to the original question, We the People are the fourth and most powerful branch of government so should be able to fire any of our employees We see fit.
edit on 23-3-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Of course it is legal for someone to demand the President resign. People have demanded every President in recent history resign. They only got their way once. It's just that such a demand rarely lacks any clout at all. The real issue is whether the President can effectively "govern," When Nixon resigned both the House and the Senate were controlled by Democrats. Further, the US Supreme Court had ruled against Nixon. Facing such overwhelming opposition within the government made Nixon resign. Of course, had the Republicand been in control of the House, Watergate would never have come up.

IMO Obama has not reached that point and probably will not. If the so-called "Chicago Scandal" comes to light we may all have to re-evaluate, So it really doesn't matter what the President's "approval rating" is unless it is pronlonged and stretched over an election cycle, as it did this past November. The anger gave the House to the GOP and had the Senate been elected to two-year terms, I believe it would have given the Senate to the GOP as well, but part of the system balances is so things don't happen quite that fast.

I'm not criticizing your citation of all the "bad things" and I'm not an Obama supporter. It's just that we are nowhere near the critical mass that could engender a resignation at this point. There's no good reason that he won't finish his term and because of the adoring masses who still believe him, he may win a second. I'm trying to address your title here. I hope I did that without flaming you.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
As long as there is Sports, drugs and sex you can forget the American people doing anything...and TPTB know this..It's by design.....
When the power goes out for good and there is no t.v., and the stores run out of beer and alcohol, and the women are to scared to spread their legs, then you'll see American's rise up..and rise up they will... !!!
Unfortunately, it will be a little to late then....

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Absolutely!

Thank you for a well thought answer. As I mentioned, I am not completely informed on this subject but I do follow what is happening and find myself curious as to these scenarios.

The biggest question I have is what it will take to see this happen and if it got to a point that it should happen, will it?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
We can "demand" all we want, so the answer to the question is.....YES!

Put all of your demands in one hand and a pile of $*** in the other and
see which one fill up first.
edit on 23-3-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yes we can make any president resign,in the declaration of independence it states that us as we as in the people can over throw the goverment if we feel that our goverment is corrupted.....but think about it who is stupid to stand up against them,we will be killed by our own army...thats another reason..its going to take all the people in the U.S to stand up,and make a change,another thought is look at lybia they were killing there own people,if that could happen over there it can happen any where....Long Live ATS..going strong!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sadly, so far the majority of answers to this question of why it hasn't happened and/or will it happen is laziness and apathy.

I can't believe that the majority of Americans are Lazy and Apathetic to the point of doing nothing when clearly something has to be done.

Actually, about half of the responses are telling of a "Can't Win so Don't Try" response.

Is this indicative of TPTB winning?

I have to believe there are more people willing to do what it takes to take back the US.
edit on 23-3-2011 by jude11 because: edit

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Sorry to point out the obvious, but the answer to the OPs question is a resounding NO.
By constitution, our republican form of government allows only our elected representatives to remove the President. Of course, our elected representatives are US Citizens so technically the answer could be "Yes" - but only if limited to the small group of citizens known as "Congressmen".

BUT wouldn't it be grand if WE could demand it with some real clout. Doubtful I will live that long.

ganjoa

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Sorry to point out the obvious, but the answer to the OPs question is a resounding NO.
By constitution, our republican form of government allows only our elected representatives to remove the President. Of course, our elected representatives are US Citizens so technically the answer could be "Yes" - but only if limited to the small group of citizens known as "Congressmen".

BUT wouldn't it be grand if WE could demand it with some real clout. Doubtful I will live that long.

ganjoa

Ok, so what you're saying is that if the citizens tell their Congress reps that they want the President to step down and Congress decides wants him to stay, he stays?

Really? So the power is truly in the power of Congress?

I don't get this scenario as POTUS has on many occasions gone against Congress and even made decisions without their input.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

If Candian ETF are willing and capable of doing that to an elderly couple, I assure you American SWAT wouldn't hesitate to fire into an enraged youthful crowd...
edit on 23-3-2011 by Nastradamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nastradamus
www.youtube.com...

If Candian ETF are willing and capable of doing that to an elderly couple, I assure you American SWAT wouldn't hesitate to fire into an enraged youthful crowd...
edit on 23-3-2011 by Nastradamus because: (no reason given)

Thanks but it doesn't quite answer my question. Cops are the same all over the World. It's the people I am interested in and what would happen.

We see dictators being taken down/killed all over the World. We see coup d'état scenarios yearly it seems.

But nothing in the US. I hear lots of grumbling, Freedom Fighters, Private Militias on the rise like never before.

Is it legal? And if so, why hasn't it been attempted?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Ok, so what you're saying is that if the citizens tell their Congress reps that they want the President to step down and Congress decides wants him to stay, he stays?
You are confusing a couple of things, it seems to me.

First, you asked if US citizens could “legally demand the resignation of the President.” This question doesn’t make sense in a democratic society where speech is protected. Everyone, even non-citizens, can demand the resignation of the President. But he doesn’t have to do anything he isn’t obligated to do by law.

Other members mentioned impeachment. That’s a process to judge a President for alleged transgressions of the Constitution, namely “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors” as explained by the Constitution. Impeachment can lead to removal from office, but it’s still a trial of sorts, by Congress.

The House of Representatives votes on articles of impeachment, which requires a majority to approve. If it passes then the Senate tries the President based on those accusations, and he’s found guilty if 2/3s of the Senate judge him as such and vote accordingly.

So to respond to your quoted question, if Congress doesn’t want to impeach, or doesn’t found him guilty, if the President is legally in power, then he stays in office. I’m not sure why this is surprising to you though.

Although I still think what you wanted to ask was “can US citizens fire the President?” The answer is obvious. It’s yes and it’s called an election.

edit on 23-3-2011 by aptness because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

No but if you get rid of the block at the top it stops looking like a pyramid right?

It's a pyramid without a capstone, and any new block on top will take the same shape.

Just research "lobbying" first, before you think one person makes any difference whatsoever.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ohhh I'm willing to do what it takes believe me.
Patience is a virtue and TIMING is EVERYTHING!!!

It does no good to poke your head up out of the water right now.
The time is fast approaching though.

It doesn't have to be violent either and I hope it isn't.
I also know that power corrupts and people in power do not let go of that power without
a fight to the death. Look at Gadaffi or Saddam Insane.
Do you really think the people in power in this country are any different?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I was always the kind of person who went after the head of the snake to kill it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join