It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Class Fans Spit on Armstrong

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Lance Armstrong on the verge of winning his 6th straight Tour de France, has been dealing with fans who taunt and some who spit on him when he goes by.
It doesn't phase Lance, who says it even urges him to complete his task.

While Lance is not upset I find it disgraceful that anyone would stoop to the level of spitting on any athlete participating in this or any event.

Does anyone else feel this is unappropriate?

Armstrong fueled by rude treatment
Tour de France
L'ALPE D'HUEZ, France (AP) - Lance Armstrong doesn't care about the negative reaction he receives. He's more worried about winning a record sixth straight Tour de France title.

Armstrong was booed, spat at and insulted, but the five-time Tour champion shrugged off hostile sections of the crowd packing the road up to L'Alpe d'Huez to win Wednesday's time trial - moving another step closer to cycling history.
Armstrong pedals closer to another title
Some riders said fans booed or offered beer. Armstrong complained that some German fans were ''horrible'' but said crowd animosity ''motivates me more than anything.''

''What I don't understand is when I watch the television, they cheer for everybody. They don't spit on them,'' he said.

But he added: ''This is big-time sport. People are emotional and excited. ... It doesn't take away from my desire to win. I think it puts a little fuel on the fire.''

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think Lance shows the true American spirit to have come back from cancer and the ability to dismiss these classless fans......Go get 'em Lance!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Thier just mad because, hes a big winner, and there big LOSERS! That is some crap, if you dont like him, get someone to beat him.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Just goes to show that there are morons in every country.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I feel that is big time unappropriate. The only reason I can see for people to do this is because he wins so much or that he is american. Either one does not warrant that type of response. Those are some classy people they have over there indeed.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Reasons he is getting spit on.

Where is this cycling event held?...France that's right it is held in France and Lance Armstrong is?...An American now what country in the world hates Americans more than France? No other country what a surprise.
Also he is on an unbelievable winning streak and beating French and German cyclist so the angry fans of that country have nothing better to do but spit on him
Even though he is the reason for this sporting event even getting publicity.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I think the fans are upset because there were doping allegations against him. I personally think they are foundless.

Also, I think the fans are allowed to be way too close to the athletes. What is to stop someone from just pushing any of the athletes over?

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Hopefully, there's some cosmic justice for people who spit on athletes, and they get crabs or break a toe or some other little punishment for being such a jackass.

That's really sinking far too low for my liking, but I'm not surprised at all, sadly.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This kind of thing doesn't bode well for the Olympics is a few weeks. I wonder if US athletes receive a similarly frosty reputation from some quarters.

I think it's pretty shocking to treat an athlete like that.. (or anyone for that matter). Good for Lance for riding it well!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
I think the fans are upset because there were doping allegations against him. I personally think they are foundless.

Also, I think the fans are allowed to be way too close to the athletes. What is to stop someone from just pushing any of the athletes over?

Yeah I was watching a bit of that Tour de France today and the fans are way to close there are no barriers or fences they crowd the street one fan war running along a rider the rider had to push his he was getting in his way they should really ad some fences or railing like you said if a fan pushes an athlete over sure the fan will get some e sort of punishment but that does no good to the rider who got injured and had to pull out of the race.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
this is my first post on ATS...i just couldn't not add to this. Lance Armstrong is the man, and already has shown his mettle (5 consecutive wins after beating terminal cancer) and, barring any unforeseen tragedy, about to do something that's NEVER been done in the history of the oldest and longest running road, wheeled race ever. Only one other american has ever won- Greg Lemond--3 times--and after while/after recovering from a SHOTGUN wound, hmmm.......----and no one, of any nationality, has ever won 6 times in a row....woo hoo!! GO LANCE!!!!!!

and, btw, to ats and all it's members, i'm becoming quite educated reading and considering these posts, and topics....there's alot of really really intelligent and thought provoking ideas on here, (and alot of morons, too, but taken with a grain of salt...
) but you have to get rid of the pop-unders.... i know, i know, you need advertisement, you need money to keep the board open. well, maybe, just maybe, i'll subscribe...we'll see. but i don't mind seeing the advertisements on the pages...but the pop-ups/unders are completely UNACCEPTIBLE. almost as unacceptible as George Bush and Co.

Have a great day! and Go LANCE!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
armstrongs a jerk who left his wife and kids after he made some money. he suppose to be a hero because he "survived" cancer? please. again anything is possible when your rich. he deserved the spit. sheryl crowe will clean it off for him with some stamps from the post office...whichs begs me to wonder why they would promote american postage in france....

[edit on 22-7-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
i'd just like to add to my earlier post...what makes him so incredible is the physical aspect. it has been shown, many times over that the Tour, as a whole, is the most physically gruelling task ever placed on a human being, and the top riders (whatever color, creed, ethnicity, race, etc.) are the most fit human beings on the planet.

Family problems suck, but it wasn't just because he make some money.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
Just goes to show that there are morons in every country.
ditto that

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Armstrong is awesome.

Only cyclists really understand how incredable that man is at his sport. 40 minutes sprinting up that massive hill standing most of the way is one of the hardest things you could do. People who minimise his achievement have no understanding of what he does.

BTW the people who spat on him were GERMANS

On the road in large text in the middle of the climb was the slogan "RIP THEIR BALLS OFF LANCE"

So he had some great supporters as well.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
THAT IS IT. I HAVE HAD IT WITH FRENCH ARROGANCE.

We should organize a march to the beaches of Normandy and pour french wine all over the sands of that beach in order sybolize the Americans who gave their lives for that pitiful nation. We should then spit on the sand and walk off their soil. The French have the gall to call us arrogant!!!!
The dirty rock muckers

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I feel that is big time unappropriate. The only reason I can see for people to do this is because he wins so much or that he is american. Either one does not warrant that type of response. Those are some classy people they have over there indeed.

I think the whole thing is inapproriate. The fact that fans are allowed to mob the riders is appaling. Its only a matter of time till we see some wack ala Stefi Graf and Armstrong gets hurt.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I think there was universal agrement that the route was a bad one, as the climb slowed the riders down, they were sitting ducks for drunk german fanatics.

When they are on the flat and hitting 50kmh (35mph) they are pretty safe.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Its only a matter of time till we see some wack ala Stefi Graf and Armstrong gets hurt.

Do you mean ala Monica Seles? Where she was stabbed in the back by a spectator and was basically never the same?

Edit: spelling

[edit on 7-22-2004 by nyarlathotep]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
we should bomb those disrespectful fans.......its the American way

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
We are into the last 3 days of the Tour, I hope people are watching, its a really complex race with 4 actual races in it.

You will rarely see people as fit and committed as this. In an earlier race a guy came off on a corner at over 40kmh, hit a fence , got up and got back on again, despite 2 broken ribs.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join