It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go Silver Go!

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

I've always found coinflation.com to be a helpful resource regarding melt values of old coins, but remember that the value of old coins, specifically those in excellent to uncirculated condition, can far exceed the melt value.

And yes, I'd shop around if they're only offering $12-to-$1 based on face value alone.
edit on 6/16/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
um...what?

Trading Of Over The Counter Gold And Silver To Be Illegal Beginning July 15

www.zerohedge.com...

One small step toward Executive Order 6102 part 2, and one giant leap for corruptcongressmankind. "We wanted to make you aware of some upcoming changes to FOREX.com’s product offering. As a result of the Dodd-Frank Act enacted by US Congress, a new regulation prohibiting US residents from trading over the counter precious metals, including gold and silver, will go into effect on Friday, July 15, 2011. In conjunction with this new regulation, FOREX.com must discontinue metals trading for US residents on Friday, July 15, 2011 at the close of trading at 5pm ET. As a result, all open metals positions must be closed by July 15, 2011 at 5pm ET. We encourage you to wind down your trading activity in these products over the next month in anticipation of the new rule, as any open XAU or XAG positions that remain open prior to July 15, 2011 at approximately 5:00 pm ET will be automatically liquidated."

My guess is that this is a way to flush out all the people buying physical gold and silver in preparation for the collapse.

Why is it only US Residents?
RED ALERT: Trading Of Over The Counter Gold And Silver To Be Illegal Beginning July 15

sgtreport.com...

In conjunction with this new regulation, FOREX.com must discontinue metals trading for US residents on Friday, July 15, 2011 at the close of trading at 5pm ET. As a result, all open metals positions must be closed by July 15, 2011 at 5pm ET.

edit on 18-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
um...what?

www.zerohedge.com...

Oh man this just keeps getting better and better...

It will be interesting to see what kind of grey-market monsters any attempt at enforcement will bring. And the international response will be even more...sorry, adjectives defy me at the moment.

Have you guys prepared for this?
edit on 6/18/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

um...what?

www.zerohedge.com...

Oh man this just keeps getting better and better...

It will be interesting to see what kind of grey-market monsters any attempt at enforcement will bring. And the international response will be even more...sorry, adjectives defy me at the moment.

Have you guys prepared for this?
edit on 6/18/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

How the hell do you prepare for this?

The only thing that a lot of people can do if this is true, is run around selling at whatever price they can get.

I'm in shock.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

How the hell do you prepare for this?

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but "not living in the US for 21 years" is my own personal answer.

I wonder if anyone else has one that would be more practical for most ATSers...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Ohh #.

I think this might deserve it's own thread Jude........

I have been following the Belarusian crisis for a while, and the PM exchanges there stopped selling gold and silver on April 15, 2011 as I posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

15 days later it's economy was (and still is) in it's death throes. A month after they stopped selling PM's the paper currency was devalued by 56% leaving anyone who held gold or silver got a 56% increase in purchasing power

www.zerohedge.com...

This is what I believe will happen here, but of course much worse for reasons all of us already know

To add:
A great comment from Zerohedge: "Its like Keeping gun ownership legal, but regulate the manufacture, purchase, and transport of guns and ammunition so cost prohibitive as to make "gun ownership" effectively impossible."
edit on 18-6-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
reply to post by jude11

Ohh #.

I think this might deserve it's own thread Jude........

I have been following the Belarusian crisis for a while, and the PM exchanges there stopped selling gold and silver on April 15, 2011 as I posted here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

15 days later it's economy was (and still is) in it's death throes. A month after they stopped selling PM's the paper currency was devalued by 56% leaving anyone who held gold or silver got a 56% increase in purchasing power

www.zerohedge.com...

This is what I believe will happen here, but of course much worse for reasons all of us already know

To add:
A great comment from Zerohedge: "Its like Keeping gun ownership legal, but regulate the manufacture, purchase, and transport of guns and ammunition so cost prohibitive as to make "gun ownership" effectively impossible."
edit on 18-6-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

I believe this is the US dollar saying Bye-Bye.

Someone started a thread already but there's not enough info yet...as usual.

I also have to say this is probably the scariest news I've seen on ATS in a long time. This will wipe out savings like nothing else before.

edit on 18-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Jim Rogers sees silver at $150 by the end of the year

"I own silver, but if it keeps going up, it could turn into a problem if it goes parabolic," If it hit $150 it would look "very dangerous" says Jim Rogers
"I do not have any prices in my targets. If suddenly World War III breaks out, then I would not sell silver at $200 this year. So it depends on what is happening and what is causing this," he said.

"I certainly hope silver goes down for a while. If it goes down, I hope I would buy more, and if it goes up too much too fast, then I have to sell."

Source

ATS thread
edit on 19-6-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2011 by Skerrako because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
SGT Bull said that the recent closures of certain exchanges is that start of the lifeboats leaving the titanic (of silver)

Remember, I have been Chronicling this unique time in silvers history in detail in my signature.

I want it to be a roadmap of sorts when this thing is done

Sorry I'm talking about my thread in this one, illegal vegetation makes one say strange things at times

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
The metals should get the "Bernake Bump" tomorrow, anytime he's speaking publicly the metals skyrocket.

Does anyone know how OT (Operation twist) 2 will affect the PMs? It is said that is what will be the substitute for QE3, and I'm not fully understanding how OT 2 is different than QE, and if it is then how will it affect the broader market?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
The metals should get the "Bernake Bump" tomorrow, anytime he's speaking publicly the metals skyrocket.

Does anyone know how OT (Operation twist) 2 will affect the PMs? It is said that is what will be the substitute for QE3, and I'm not fully understanding how OT 2 is different than QE, and if it is then how will it affect the broader market?

Looks like you were right on the bump and now with the Greeks emptying their accounts to buy gold and silver, I believe we are going to get an even bigger bump.

As far as the O2 and QE, I honestly don't know the ramifications so I hope someone with more knowledge weighs in on it.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I have some sterling scrap and dust. Who is a reputable refinery to get back either $$ or metal.
Eastern Refining isn't answering their phone.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I have some sterling scrap and dust. Who is a reputable refinery to get back either $$ or metal.

Not sure and haven't tried it but it seems like you can save yourself the middleman fees:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

A couple of points that make this refiner unique. First, they offer you an opportunity to speculate on the future price movements in metals. A handy option if you don't need immediate cash and believe prices will rise.

Settlement Options

Upon completion, your options for settlement are a check or your metal returned. You also have the option of pooling your metal and watching the market for settlement at your discretion. - Link

Second, they pay 98% of melt value.

I haven't used them, I'm not a seller. I learned about this company from an acquaintance with a small PM business. He sends scrap to these folks as a satisfied customer.

*Always perform your own due dilligence.

Making ingots could be fun and satisfying as a pastime, but homemade products will be difficult to sell without a certified assay...at your expense...in both time and money.

GL

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by works4dhs

Originally posted by works4dhs
went to two coin dealers and a pawn shop to cash in some of my silver; they offered me 12 to 1. no deal.
will try e-bay.
I figure I'm hoarding the silver for food after the apocalypse (or the rampant inflation, or whatever) so might as well buy and store some now.

What silver were u trying to sell? Bars, rounds or?

12-1?

90% US coins.
halves, some dimes.
they were offering me $12 per $1 face value, roughly 1 oz silver. with silver $36/oz I figured that was way lowball.
not selling all of it.
edit on 16-6-2011 by works4dhs because: typo

sold on ebay for $24/1. smaller lots are selling 26 to 28 /1; will probably try some more next week.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I have a question.

I am new at this. I have done some reading on silver eagles. Friday I just bought my first one. I paid $40 for it. I seen that the store owner looked up the current prices and by the looks of your first post it was at $37.00. I personally do not mind a slight overhead because the business man has to make his buck to stay in business.

So here is the question...

What in your opinion is an allowable overhead charge for a silver eagle over the price of silver? I live in a small town and I really do not feel like buying over the internet...His shop is right downtown and I like doing business with him, but I do not want to be shorted too much.

My plan is to buy at least one eagle a week. I know that people are saying hold off, but with inflation and the inability to tell where the market is going makes me want to have something other than FED Reserve notes.....

How much would you be willing to pay for an eagle when silver is $37.00 an ounce. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

spot plus $3 is an excellent deal imho.
personally I think silver has about peaked but a LOT of folks think it's going to go higher. I don't doubt you'll get your money back eventually; once it hits a mark ($37) it's easy to go back to it.

edit on 25-6-2011 by works4dhs because: add line

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

Thank you for your insight. I was wondering about it tanking after a while. If that happens I will just hang on to it even longer.

I figure it is still better than holding on to the dollar. I can not wait until next week to buy another one or two. Unfortunately I can not buy in bulk so I have to stick with the overhead as it is.....Start small and work my way up, is my plan.

I feel that at least I have something to show for my money...I took us out for dinner the other night and it was $35. All I could think about is, there goes one more ounce I could have had.
edit on 25-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
from the way i read the article...where the "act" come from the dodd-frank bill...you still can buy silver and gold, BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE PHYSICAL DELIVERY OF IT. you can't however, buy and sell it like a stock, ETF, or other equity.

if i read this wrong, please let me know.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
That no OTC wont be a problem.. its not for folks like us
its for Xe and etc. Youd have to be a fool not to take physical possession of it anyway!

Just my opinion:
Ive been buying gold, silver, and platinum for a while... more silver than anything. The problem I see on here and elsewhere if everyone is still thinking of precious metals in a dollar-centric way. Sure you have to in order to BUY it with a dollar, but if you are looking to get it as in currency post economic collapse or hyperinflation/dollar fail... spot and worth per dollar makes NO difference. The metal will retain its value as currency for goods or services regardless of dollar value... even if you see its value crash. If you read concerning the past, our own depression, and the things going on in Greece/Europe.... the paper can be worthless and the precious metal be a viable currency wthout a comparable paper conversion. Bah.. hope Im saying this so you can understand my meaning! Lets say the dollar is worth less than the paper its printed on.. and bread is 50.00 paper a loaf. WIth yoru silver/gold you will not be paying a 50 paper value for the bread.. prices will set themselves without dollar value attached.. since its worthless.

My good friend in NY said the Bodegas are already taking silver and gold.. even scrap.. for goods. They have a scale and a kit they use.. and are currently giving market value. WHen there is NO market value as in dollar worth to set gold prices by.. it will lower, go to volume for worth, and be an actual currency. JP morgan is accepting gold and silver for payments on debts now as are other banks. People are getting the idea.. I think.

So.. from me.. buy low and hoard. Youre not going to lose your value on silver. Gold is hyperinflated.. who knows where the seat will land on that one. Silver seems the safest and best thing to stock for currency. Ive been buying gram and oz bars for a while.. they are easier to use as currency in an event.. I doubt youre going to lug around a LB bar and a hacksaw to shave off appropriate amounts for value if it ever comes to needing precious metal as your only real currency.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join