It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Go Silver Go!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Yeah i think its best to be unattached. Maybe not even watch the price for a few days. Not sure if this is just a supply issue though since the currency is being inflated at the same time. Its a double wammy.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Shopping for precious metals ? This new website updates dealer price comparisons for free.

Gold Shark

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRstl1000
Where can you buy silver locally? Does the bank offer silver?

Kitco.com seems to be one of the bigger choices in the US, but that's just what I am seeing.

In Canada, I like silvergoldbull.com...

Nice little company and always ready to pick up the phone.

Just my preference.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I'd be careful though, I'm still of the opinion that the silver rush is a manipulation to get people out of gold.
reply to post by Dr Love

That's a good point, many tricks will be employed to remove the metals from the citizens, I can see a trick like that being pulled. With that in mind it is worth keeping an eye on the gold to silver ratio:

www.gold-eagle.com...

IMHO at the moment the best long term investment is still silver, it's also much more useful as spendin' money after any collapse. Should a collapse occur then the gold to silver ratio will drop significantly. I predict to somewhere around 15:1. After the collapse, a modest family house could be about 1Oz of gold or 15Oz of silver.
edit on 23/3/2011 by cortex because: included quote

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
you can buy, or recently could buy a house for a buck in detroit
gold and silver will go but watch for the point of breakdown

there is a several week delay when ordering silver from the bank and here in Canada and there
are restrictions on what is avaliable

the normal rules don't apply any more
watch carefully
gold and silver will be useless at a certain point
when purpose and portability are all that matters

this is by design

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
The rise in silver, is because over the last 20 years it has bin massively shorted by the big banks as to gold.
So now that the silver price keeps going up do to every one buying it and industry needing it.

It has put a huge squeeze on the short players of silver so as they cover there shorts by buying back silver it make the silver price go back up as to how high they think $50 to $100 buck this year.

Silver stock are the place to be right now big money being made there.

Js

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
you sure it's silver going up, and not the dollar going down???

that would be my first guess...
my second would be, well...lot's of people bought that paper that was supposed to represent silver, and the banks sold that like they do most things, more than they had, thinking not enough people would have the stuff in hand at the same time for anyone to notice...
only now, people are wising up, and asking for their physical metal, and they don't have enough???

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
you can buy, or recently could buy a house for a buck in detroit
gold and silver will go but watch for the point of breakdown

there is a several week delay when ordering silver from the bank and here in Canada and there
are restrictions on what is avaliable

the normal rules don't apply any more
watch carefully
gold and silver will be useless at a certain point
when purpose and portability are all that matters

this is by design

Wow, detroit must have some rough places.

I don't think that Gold and silver will ever be useless, since recorded history precious metals (PMs) have never been debased to the level of uselessnes.

After any collapse there will still be producers, people with things they are willing to sell. They will only barter or accept labour initially and will inevitably start using precious metals (perhaps black market deals initialy) in order to store accumulated wealth.

You do make a point that needs to be considered though and that is that shortly after any collapse PMs will be somewhat of a hot potato and divulging possession could get you into a whole lot of trouble with all sorts of people. It would be safest to wait for a new paper currency to re-establish which will inevitably be gold backed, at least to start with until the citizens get complacent and the whole silly fiat game begins all over again.

RE: purpose, history proves a solid purpose.

RE portability: A man should not own any more gold than he can carry unhindered, even that is way to much.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
yeah detroit is on the skids
there are how many empty houses in florida?
lost wages?

when food shelter and water is more important then the system
gold and silver will have little to no value

like the stone tools of yester year

that is why the I ching says the value of a thing is its usefulness and portability
and they have been around longer then anyone and that book is the oldest in the world
they are buying gold and silver

but they are hoarding food

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
This run up in the silver market feels like a lot what the Hunt bros did back in 70s 80. Spot is almost there now.

Look for Mexico to dump soon. Cuidado quates, it could get bumpy.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
yeah detroit is on the skids
there are how many empty houses in florida?
lost wages?

when food shelter and water is more important then the system
gold and silver will have little to no value

like the stone tools of yester year

that is why the I ching says the value of a thing is its usefulness and portability
and they have been around longer then anyone and that book is the oldest in the world
they are buying gold and silver

but they are hoarding food

I still say that when the SHTF, Gold and Silver be the thing to have as it always has been. BUT>>>

If, and that's IF G&S lose all value, 2 lightweight things to have will be coffee and tobacco. Salt as well.

These things are luxury items I agree, but in hard times little luxuries will be sought after and valued.

That's only if everyone has flour and water of course.

Just my opinion.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
alright cause i'm uploading it

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I have a soaker tub made of silver

Might have to melt it down into some ingots

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

thats probably about right
addictions demand...

don't throw the gold and silver away
but aside from the value ascribed by devaluation of the currencies and the Bubble

I'm just sayin watch for the bubble to break and more importantly why...

oh, and watch for what happens with TREATIES there will be signs ther of what is next

ps being an AJ/ bob chapman/ mogambo guru fan
I own silver, ( for years) but I am going off grid in as many knowedge sets as I can cram
edit on 23-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2011 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
reply to post by jude11

I'd be careful though, I'm still of the opinion that the silver rush is a manipulation to get people out of gold.

Just my opinion of course.

Peace

Gold and Silver are usually relative to eachother, silver almost always performs better than Gold, but not by a whole lot. So if Silver is shooting high past Gold, either Gold will follow or Silver will crash.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
On a positive note, looks like the market stayed up on closing. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
If, and that's IF G&S lose all value, 2 lightweight things to have will be coffee and tobacco. Salt as well.

Very good point, tobacco will always have good liquidity. Maybe I will buy a few kilos of rolling tobacco and store it up, will be better to be holding tobacco over metal in the immediate aftermath of a collapse.

Metals are more a long term plan and not for immediate purchasing power, probably have to wait for a little "stability" to reform before it becomes a safe option. This stability will reform pretty quick though because traders will want to have a non perishable reservoir of wealth to work with. Gold is where it's at for that. It's in our psyche, we say things like "as good as gold", the winner gets the gold medal, etc. etc.

anyway good luck to all you guys if (god forbid) the TSHTF.
edit on 23/3/2011 by cortex because: reworked

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Interesting responses. I don't think anyone has a clue as to what is truly going to happen, its crystal ball and tea leaves territory. Silver has manufacturing, electrical and medical relevance and the rumors of shortages seem to change daily. Personally I think the Hunt brothers episode was very different from the situation today, they were attempting to corner a market that, arguably, was better off than what it is today. I was in for 700 oz @ around $25 and just picked up another 300 oz. I like what I see but I'm also not putting all my eggs in one basket either. Well see where this goes but the direction right now is enjoyable.

brill

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cortex

Originally posted by jude11

Salt is in abundance here near the sea. But tobacco will always have good liquidity I agree.

Anyone know the best way to store a fair amount of tobacco (a few kilos)? To keep it in tip top smokin' shape?

I just keep putting apple peels in mine. Works fine but for a kilo, I would probably get a food sealing machine and seal it into small sale size portions. Don't keep it in a freezer, it will dry out.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

cheers, good idea, I'll keep a look out for one of those heat sealing machines.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join