It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1954 - 2004 Top 10 Life Changing Technologies.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
1954 - 2004 Top 10 Life Changing Technologies.

So many new technologies have appeared in the past half century that its impossible to list them all. But these 10 high-tech breakthroughs stand out over the last 50 years because theyve revolutionized the way Americans live. We look back at their beginnings, as well as where theyve taken us today.

10. Organ transplants. In 1954, Dr Joseph Murray removed the kidney from one human patient and implanted it in another.

9. Robots and artificial intelligence. The term "robot" was coined by Czechoslovakian playwright Karel Capek in 1920 "robota" being a Czech word for tedious labor but the first real industrial robot was built in 1954 by George Devol.

8. Electronic funds transfer. The Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco set up a paperless transfer system with the Los Angeles branch in 1972.

7. Nuclear power. When the Queen herself threw the switch on the worlds first atomic power plant at Calder Hall outside London in 1956, nuclear reactors were seen as a source of cheap, pollution-free energy.

6. Mobile phones. The idea for cellular phone service dates back at least to 1947, but the first call was made from the sidewalk outside the Manhattan Hilton in 1973 by Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher who rang up his rival at AT&T Bell Labs to test the new phone.

5. Space flight. Americans from 50 years ago would be disappointed to learn we never went further than the Moon no Mars colony, no 2001 odyssey to Jupiter, no speed-of-light spaceships.

4. Personal computers. Before IBM recast the desktop computer from hobbyists gadget to office automation tool in 1983 followed by Apples people-friendly Macintosh a year later a "minicomputer" was the size of a washing machine and required a special air-conditioned room.

3. Digital media. "The camera doesnt lie" went a saying not heard much since the release of Photoshop 1.0 in 1990. Digitized audio, pictures, movies, and text let even an amateur edit reality or conjure it from scratch with a keyboard and a mouse.

2. Genetic engineering. Everyone knows Watson and Crick, who unraveled the secret of DNA in 1953. But have you heard of Boyer and Cohen, who constructed the first organism with combined DNA from different species in 1973?

1. The Internet. This one seems like a no-brainer, but the Nets unique strength is that no two people will agree on why its so important. The worlds largest and most unruly library, its also a global news channel, social club, research archive, shopping service, town hall, and multimedia kiosk. Add to that the most affordable mass medium ever, and a curse to anyone with a secret to keep. Three-fifths of Americans now use the Net, but it remains to be seen whether the connections to one another will transform us, or prove that well never change.

Here's a link to the entire article, you shlould read it, there's more facts about each of the "top ten" technologies, that I didn't list on here.

equipped.msn.com...

I would probably rank, organ transplant over the Internet, and am not sure that I would even include the Electronic Funds Transfer in this top 10.

How about you guys ?

Edit: Mod edit buy author's request.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
the ole bumpy bumpy....

I surely thought someone would be interested in this one... oh well.

thanks anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
One other thought too...

Are there technological advances / items that didn't make this top 10 list that you thought would be on the list ?

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
the laser

the microchip itself

stealth... both radar and (now) optical

genetically modified crops

satellite communication

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
the laser

the microchip itself

stealth... both radar and (now) optical

genetically modified crops

satellite communication

I think the micro chip could fall under robotics, etc.. but yeah the microchip.

Definitely the Stealth, nice one... I forgot about that.

Good job

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I saw one of these contests years ago. The air conditioner won. They said a lot of todays items we would not have if it wasn't for the AC.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by godservant
I saw one of these contests years ago. The air conditioner won. They said a lot of todays items we would not have if it wasn't for the AC.

Yes, yes and Yes, thank goodness for air conditioning.

Yeah, lets think about it, mechanical / electronical machinery has to be kept cool in order to operate, so I can see why we would need air conditioning in order to make the other things work.

So, yeah, let's add air to our list. any more guys ?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I thought this one would be on the list... while I don't completely understand it, I'll post it and you can add....

Nanotechnology.

Manufactured products are made from atoms. The properties of those products depend on how those atoms are arranged. If we rearrange the atoms in coal we can make diamond. If we rearrange the atoms in sand (and add a few other trace elements) we can make computer chips. If we rearrange the atoms in dirt, water and air we can make potatoes.
Todays manufacturing methods are very crude at the molecular level. Casting, grinding, milling and even lithography move atoms in great thundering statistical herds. It's like trying to make things out of LEGO blocks with boxing gloves on your hands. Yes, you can push the LEGO blocks into great heaps and pile them up, but you can't really snap them together the way you'd like.

In the future, nanotechnology will let us take off the boxing gloves. We'll be able to snap together the fundamental building blocks of nature easily, inexpensively and in most of the ways permitted by the laws of physics. This will be essential if we are to continue the revolution in computer hardware beyond about the next decade, and will also let us fabricate an entire new generation of products that are cleaner, stronger, lighter, and more precise.

It's worth pointing out that the word "nanotechnology" has become very popular and is used to describe many types of research where the characteristic dimensions are less than about 1,000 nanometers. For example, continued improvements in lithography have resulted in line widths that are less than one micron: this work is often called "nanotechnology." Sub-micron lithography is clearly very valuable (ask anyone who uses a computer!) but it is equally clear that conventional lithography will not let us build semiconductor devices in which individual dopant atoms are located at specific lattice sites. Many of the exponentially improving trends in computer hardware capability have remained steady for the last 50 years. There is fairly widespread belief that these trends are likely to continue for at least another several years, but then conventional lithography starts to reach its limits.

www.zyvex.com...

I'm sure that there is a ton of info out there about Nanotech, I thought this one explained it fairly easily...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I think Nano.. falls in future tech. Not in your time frame. Its not really usable in everyday markets. It will mark the biggest change in History.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I think Nano.. falls in future tech. Not in your time frame. Its not really usable in everyday markets. It will mark the biggest change in History.

good point SC - this is probably better described as future tech...

what's your choice for the 1 spot on this subject, best tech advance over past 50 years ?

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think I would have to say the Internet. It has changed the world in less than 10 years. It has opened the world to all types of culture. brought people together. It is for sure the information Highway.

But like everything else it has its down falls. You can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
My vote for the greatest technology that changed our lives is the transistor, without it many of the items you chose would have been impossible, here's a nice article about the role of the transistor.....

The transistor
The transistor and subsequently the integrated circuits must certainly qualify as two of the greatest inventions of the twentieth century. These devices are formed from materials known as semiconductors, whose properties were not well-understood until the 1950s. The name transistor is short for "transfer resistance". (Miniaturization of electronic circuits via the transistor is a key development making personal desktop computers small, reliable, and affordable.)

As far back as 1926, Dr. Julius Edgar Lilienfield from New York filed for a patent on what we would now recognize as an NPN junction transistor being used in the role of an amplifier (the patent title was "Method and apparatus for controlling electric currents")

Unfortunately, serious research on semiconductors didn't really commence until World War II. At that time it was recognized that devices formed from semiconductors had potential as amplifiers and switches, and could therefore be used to replace the prevailing technology of vacuum tubes, but that they would be much smaller, lighter, and would require less power. All of these factors were of interest to the designers of the radar systems which were to play a large role in the war.

In 1945Bell Laboratories in the United States began research into semiconductors and physicists William Shockley, Walter Brattain and John Bardeen succeeded in creating the first point- contact germanium transistor on the 23rd December, 1947
(they took a break for the Christmas holidays before publishing their achievement, which is why some reference books state that the first transistor was created in 1948).

In 1950, Shockley invented a new device called a bipolar junction transistor, which was more reliable, easier and cheaper to build, and gave more consistent results than point-contact devices.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Oops missed the date by a few years, Still a good article though. Sorry folks!!!

[edit on 23-7-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
My vote for the greatest technology that changed our lives is the transistor, without it many of the items you chose would have been impossible, here's a nice article about the role of the transistor.....

The transistor
The transistor and subsequently the integrated circuits must certainly qualify as two of the greatest inventions of the twentieth century. These devices are formed from materials known as semiconductors, whose properties were not well-understood until the 1950s. The name transistor is short for "transfer resistance". (Miniaturization of electronic circuits via the transistor is a key development making personal desktop computers small, reliable, and affordable.)

As far back as 1926, Dr. Julius Edgar Lilienfield from New York filed for a patent on what we would now recognize as an NPN junction transistor being used in the role of an amplifier (the patent title was "Method and apparatus for controlling electric currents")

Unfortunately, serious research on semiconductors didn't really commence until World War II. At that time it was recognized that devices formed from semiconductors had potential as amplifiers and switches, and could therefore be used to replace the prevailing technology of vacuum tubes, but that they would be much smaller, lighter, and would require less power. All of these factors were of interest to the designers of the radar systems which were to play a large role in the war.

In 1945Bell Laboratories in the United States began research into semiconductors and physicists William Shockley, Walter Brattain and John Bardeen succeeded in creating the first point- contact germanium transistor on the 23rd December, 1947
(they took a break for the Christmas holidays before publishing their achievement, which is why some reference books state that the first transistor was created in 1948).

In 1950, Shockley invented a new device called a bipolar junction transistor, which was more reliable, easier and cheaper to build, and gave more consistent results than point-contact devices.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, that would be a good one, if it was in the 50 year time frame.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
another thought is that, I think Organ Transplant should be higher on the list.

Think about it, taking something from a human body and putting it into another human body and it works !!! Now that's amazing.

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Nanotech is here right now, although the products are rather mundane at this point, my Favorite Nano Product that I have bought and used is the Stain Proof Pants. I've tested them, and tested them and NOTHING can stain them. Bye Bye Dry Cleaners... Gecko Tape is pretty cool too although I have yet to try it, its supposed to be Glueless Tape that sticks to wall through Tiny Polymers.. Three layers of them each on the bigger hair giving it super adherance to surfaces and can be peeled off and reused a bunch of times too.

I know you're probly thinking Nanobots, or Grey Goo weapons and my personal opionion aside we're are not going to see ]those types of technologies for a long time...if ever cuz they might be just too dangerous or diffucult to build(maybe impossible who knows....)

www.foresight.org... One of the best websites around dealing with Advance Nanotech Prospects/Potential Applications and Dangers.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Remote Control

Must be on the list! If only I can remember where I put the damn thing.

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Clear Ductape

posted on Jul, 25 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
One other thought too...
Are there technological advances / items that didn't make this top 10 list that you thought would be on the list ?

I feel very strongly that Commercial Jet Aviation should be in the top 2-3 on the list. It changed the way we viewed the world, and more importantly it brought travel, both business and leisure to the masses.

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I thought of another one...

how about the "clapper"

*sing* Lights on , "clap clap" Lights off "clap clap"..... Lights on lights off..."clap clap".

yeah, seriously, I think the remote control is an awesome invention..

posted on Jul, 27 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I thought of another one...
*sing* Lights on , "clap clap" Lights off "clap clap"..... Lights on lights off..."clap clap".

If you are going to include the clapper, YOU have to include the CHIA PET!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join