It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CH-53K helicopter assembly line opens at Sikorsky Florida facility

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

CH-53K helicopter assembly line opens at Sikorsky Florida facility

Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. officially opened a new facility at its Florida Assembly and Flight Operations (FAFO) campus, establishing experimental assembly line operations for the new CH-53K heavy lift helicopter. Sikorsky Aircraft is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp.

The CH-53K helicopter Florida Assembly and Flight Operations facility consists of approximately 60,000 square feet of space. The building, originally the home of Pratt & Whitney-Rocketdyne, has been completely updated to create a modern assembly area. Overhead power and air dropdowns, new aircraft work stands, and overhead cranes have been installed to support aircraft final assembly and rotor head/quality control assembly operations.

The CH-53K helicopter will maintain virtually the same footprint as its predecessor, the three-engine CH-53E SUPER STALLION helicopter, but will nearly triple the payload to 27,000 pounds over 110 nautical miles under "high hot" ambient conditions. The CH-53E helicopter is currently the largest, most powerful marinized helicopter in the world. It is deployed fromMarine Corps amphibious assault ships to transport personnel and equipment and to carry external (sling) cargo loads.

Here is my favourite part of the article.

The CH-53K helicopter's maximum gross weight (MGW) with internal loads is 74,000 pounds compared to 69,750 pounds for the CH-53E aircraft. The CH-53K's MGW with external loads is 88,000 pounds as compared to 73,500 for the CH-53E helicopter.

As a fan of all things heavy metal, I always apply the theory that the heavier, the better.

Here is the full article guys.

Heavy Metal

edit on 23-3-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
nm
edit on 23/3/11 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Thought.. I wonder if this new facility is anywhere near the Thread of the *Long rumbling Noise* coming out of fl?

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Hey mod. Can you move this into weaponry? I think it fits better in that section. Thanks man. Appreciate it!

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tracehd1

That is a very realistic possibility!
Star for you.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Cool! Thread has been moved to Aircraft Projects.

posted on Mar, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
An awesome machine, just awesome. Alwys loved watching these things fly!. Especially when you can see tham close up.

top topics

join